Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leather Cleaner

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
ihadablackdog

Leather Cleaner

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:39 pm

The seats in my e89 that has done 60k miles are black leather, but I don't think they've ever been cleaned, and therefore have that glossy shiny look.

If I am correct, when new, they have more of a matte finish than glossy, so I am guessing its 60k miles worth of grime and sweat that has built up.

What would be a good product to clean it? My neighbour leant me some leather cleaner (Autobright) but it didn't really do much, although might've been user error.

Any products/application tips?

edit: is this one for APC?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Angelus666

Leather Cleaner

Post by Angelus666 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Dilute some APC 10-1 and then see how you go. Use a leather brush to agitate and then wipe clean. Repeat a few times and you’ll get it to a decent level. Do s 50/50 to see how well you’re doing.

Remember it’s a plastic top coat on the leather so that’s what you’re cleaning....be mindful not to scrub too hard, the product will do the job!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Leather Cleaner

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 pm

I generally advocate Johnson's baby wipes to clean. Followed up with purpose made leather wipes to nourish.

ihadablackdog

Leather Cleaner

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:56 pm Dilute some APC 10-1 and then see how you go. Use a leather brush to agitate and then wipe clean. Repeat a few times and you’ll get it to a decent level. Do s 50/50 to see how well you’re doing.

Remember it’s a plastic top coat on the leather so that’s what you’re cleaning....be mindful not to scrub too hard, the product will do the job!
Thanks. What would happen if I didn't dilute it? Other than wasting product, (i.e. using 10 times more) would it clean better or do damage?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Leather Cleaner

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:50 pm

buzyg wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 pm I generally advocate Johnson's baby wipes to clean. Followed up with purpose made leather wipes to nourish.
Would baby wipes be strong enough to agitate, and would they be good enough for the initial tough deep clean, or better for regular light cleaning later on?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Leather Cleaner

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:50 pm
buzyg wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 pm I generally advocate Johnson's baby wipes to clean. Followed up with purpose made leather wipes to nourish.
Would baby wipes be strong enough to agitate, and would they be good enough for the initial tough deep clean, or better for regular light cleaning later on?
I use them all over the car including to clean the engine bay. Not sure what is in them. Just know from years of use, that they are strong wipes that get the grime out and don't damage the Zed. :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Leather Cleaner

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 pm

buzyg wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 pm
ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:50 pm
I use them all over the car including to clean the engine bay. Not sure what is in them. Just know from years of use, that they are strong wipes that get the grime out and don't damage the Zed. :)
tbh, i'd be a bit wary of using any kind of wipes due to the different composition of detergents in them. ok to use them but be aware that along with muck and grime you will be stripping the leather of essential oils which it needs for suppleness and longevity.
If you use wipes, make sure to feed the leather again with some leather treatment. It will penetrate the polymer topcoat and keep the leather supple. A decent saddlesoap would suffice.

Personally, I've been using the Autoglym leather products for years as well as a pot of decent saddlesoap post-cleaning and the leather in all my cars has been tip-top.

Was busy with the handbrake gaiter today.
IMG_20190721_184100.jpg
IMG_20190721_184100.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Angelus666

Leather Cleaner

Post by Angelus666 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Funny when people say about keeping the leather supple...you are cleaning a coating made of plastic, not leather like your jacket or sofa. The stuff you use won’t penetrate into the leather at all.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Leather Cleaner

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:03 pm Funny when people say about keeping the leather supple...you are cleaning a coating made of plastic, not leather like your jacket or sofa. The stuff you use won’t penetrate into the leather at all.
You're obviously an expert, not.

Maybe instead of making sweeping statements about what you think you might know about maintaining leather upholstery you could provide the OP with some constructive advice? Such as within the following link, which indicates that different leathers have different coatings with differing levels of permeability.

https://www.theartofcleanliness.com/aut ... are-guide/
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Leather Cleaner

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:15 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:03 pm Funny when people say about keeping the leather supple...you are cleaning a coating made of plastic, not leather like your jacket or sofa. The stuff you use won’t penetrate into the leather at all.
You're obviously an expert, not.

Maybe instead of making sweeping statements about what you think you might know about maintaining leather upholstery you could provide the OP with some constructive advice? Such as within the following link, which indicates that different leathers have different coatings with differing levels of permeability.

https://www.theartofcleanliness.com/aut ... are-guide/
What Chris said. :thumbsup:

Angelus666

Leather Cleaner

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 am

Sorry chaps, am I missing something from that post....the science says that the expensive leather conditioner (which I’ve also wasted money on) literally just sits on top of your plastic coated leather Z4 seats.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Leather Cleaner

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:39 am

Angelus666 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 am Sorry chaps, am I missing something from that post....the science says that the expensive leather conditioner (which I’ve also wasted money on) literally just sits on top of your plastic coated leather Z4 seats.
That's what I was told by an ex-Connolly guy who did my e34 M5 & XJ35 interiors.

He said that the colour on most leathers (cars & furniture) now is just a paint & lacquer job on cheap hides - and a damp cloth with mild interior detergent was all it needed...otherwise you're just putting oils/creams onto the surface which will either 1) pick up more dirt than the leather, and/or 2) transfer stains to/from your clothes.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Leather Cleaner

Post by MrPT » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:02 am

Angelus666 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 am Sorry chaps, am I missing something from that post....the science says that the expensive leather conditioner (which I’ve also wasted money on) literally just sits on top of your plastic coated leather Z4 seats.
Not taking sides here (I use Gliptone but I'll admit it's mainly for the smell!), but it doesn't say that. It says -
Does Leather Conditioner Work?
First, even if all you do is condition the coating on the leather, you have achieved something. The word conditioner in this context can really be replaced with moisturizer and appearance enhancer. When you use a conditioner on coated leather you’re moisturizing the coating which keeps it flexible. The coating is there to protect the leather, and if you condition and preserve the leather’s protective coating, that is a good thing (do we owe Martha Stewart for saying that?). It’s similar to your paint. You take measures to preserve the clear coat so the base paint never needs treatment.

Second, I will admit there is no scientific evidence that I know of that proves a conditioner penetrates through the coating. However, leather that has been conditioned regularly does feel more soft and supple and appears to resist normal wear and tear better. I’ve personally rejuvenated leather with a hard, dry coating using the product Leatherique. If the coating wasn’t at least semi-permeable then the Leatherique would never have worked, but it did!
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Matty_Z4

Leather Cleaner

Post by Matty_Z4 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Just to throw another product to the fray.

When I got the car I just used APC to give them a good scrub, and they look pretty good but still need a bit of a going over. Im slowly getting the car upto standard.

Im going to give Dojo Juice a go on the leather as like the other guy said (got shot down) leather conditioner mostly sits on the leather and builds a grinding paste that deteriorates your leather faster by first wearing the coating then you get cracks (Based upon Dr Leather yep I'm going to get shot down too).

There are quite a few good reviews of these on detailing world and some amazing before/afters.

https://dodojuice.net/products/supernat ... er-cleaner

https://dodojuice.net/products/supernat ... er-sealant
2005 E85 3.0i

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Leather Cleaner

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Well now :roll: in the past 6 months ive had a ZMR , Si coupe , 35is & most currently 911 , all leather seats & all unique in the finish of the leather , ive tried a variety of products from the usual big names like AG ,Autobright & AutoFinesse , whether or not its actually working on the leather or on the top coat i found these two products worked the best (for me ) in leaving a nice to touch , non sticky , non shiny finish
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Wax-517 ... 183&sr=8-2

or twice the price , half the amount

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruskin-Leather ... 48&sr=8-38

I'm also not afraid to go at shiny leather quite harshly in the early stages of clean , using a solution of swarfega & leather balm with a worn green fleece
Id say whatever you do is better than simply leaving them alone :? My current seats have come back to life in just a few applications so ive no reason to think i'm doing any harm
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo