Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rust centrifuge?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Yeddheng

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Yeddheng » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 am

Hello!

When washing the wheels on an M the brake discs emit a small amount of rusty water that you have to wipe off afterwards.
But now it seems as if this problem is getting more and more worse and when driving away there is a copious amount that centrifuge all over the wheels and its surroundings. Its a real mess.

How do you clean your wheels in order to limit this problem?
Z4 MC 07 / A08 Silver grey / Black interior w Carbon leather / VT+RE mounts / 10.9 / cdv- / RPi / Cup2 / Arc-8 / Lugs / KW V3 / GC camber plates / Vorshlag RTAB limiters / Custom alignment / Aux / Stubby / Mud flaps /

My Z4MC

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:18 am

Could be an indication that your discs are corroding quite badly.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Kernow-Z4

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Kernow-Z4 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:35 am

Mine did this aswell, the discs were only 6 months old, after a bit of investigation the backing plate was the culprite.
A quick rub down and coat of paint seemed to solve the problem, strangly it only used to occur on the rear wheels.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe, Interlagos Blue, Black Leather, Eventuri intake and Stromung Exhaust

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Rust centrifuge?

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:54 am

Paint your hubs?
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Yeddheng

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Yeddheng » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 am

Thanks for your answers! :thumbsup:
jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:54 am Paint your hubs?
They're aluminium and don't rust :)
Kernow-Z4 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:35 am Mine did this aswell, the discs were only 6 months old, after a bit of investigation the backing plate was the culprite.
A quick rub down and coat of paint seemed to solve the problem, strangly it only used to occur on the rear wheels.
It's coming from the inner core of the discs. The backing plates are just as new.
Chris_D wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:18 am Could be an indication that your discs are corroding quite badly.
Could be, they are almost 10 years old and has 30k miles on them. I dont drive in the Winter or in rain so they look like new on the outside. They must be rotting away from the inside then… :(
Z4 MC 07 / A08 Silver grey / Black interior w Carbon leather / VT+RE mounts / 10.9 / cdv- / RPi / Cup2 / Arc-8 / Lugs / KW V3 / GC camber plates / Vorshlag RTAB limiters / Custom alignment / Aux / Stubby / Mud flaps /

My Z4MC

Angelus666

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:44 am

When you’ve finished washing the car go for a drive around the block to rub off the surface rust and then a quick detailed on the wheels and you’re set.

On new disks I think you can spray clear coat onto them to help stop it happening from the start.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Bing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Happens on mine all the time, and the disks are not very old at all. It is common on Ms. Doesn't matter if I use wheel cleaner or not either. One way I can prevent it is to have been driving the car just before I wash it - the brakes are hot, and dry very quickly if you do the wheels first, very soon after you get back. Or, wash, and stick in the garage for a few days at the end of a weekend, again allowing them to dry before driving. Though you often get a puddle of rusty water even then.

The only other way to prevent it is to blow the water out the disks after washing, but you still get rusty water to clean up after doing that as well.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

G600

Rust centrifuge?

Post by G600 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:46 pm

You could try this to stop the rust, dilute it and spray in on the brakes when you was the car
https://www.bilthamber.com/atom-mac-164
E85 3.0

Yeddheng

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Yeddheng » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:44 am When you’ve finished washing the car go for a drive around the block to rub off the surface rust and then a quick detailed on the wheels and you’re set.

On new disks I think you can spray clear coat onto them to help stop it happening from the start.
Yea, that is exactly how I've been doing for the last 11 years but the problem seem to have escalated into a stupid amount of Sepang.

Regardig coating, I remeber there was someone making a DIY about that some years ago. My next set of discs defo going cleared!
Bing wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 pm Happens on mine all the time, and the disks are not very old at all. It is common on Ms. Doesn't matter if I use wheel cleaner or not either. One way I can prevent it is to have been driving the car just before I wash it - the brakes are hot, and dry very quickly if you do the wheels first, very soon after you get back. Or, wash, and stick in the garage for a few days at the end of a weekend, again allowing them to dry before driving. Though you often get a puddle of rusty water even then.

The only other way to prevent it is to blow the water out the disks after washing, but you still get rusty water to clean up after doing that as well.
Thanks for the support. I've tried washing the wheels first and last with no difference, but never hot. I dont think the discs have the mass to stay hot throughout the process tho, and there's a small risk of warping.

I've got a trick that has worked before but not anymore. I push the car a little bit when the wheels are done, just enough to let water out of the discs before it turns into instant coffee. After that I continue with the rest of the car.
G600 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:46 pm You could try this to stop the rust, dilute it and spray in on the brakes when you was the car
This problem may originate from the discs getting more and more of deep-seated rust inside the core whitch hold more water than a smooth inner core. This chemical may help but how do you get it into the core. With a syringe through the drilled holes? But that is going to look odd at the local DIY car wash. :stir: :oldman: :scratchhead: :police:

My Z4MC

BeeEmm

Rust centrifuge?

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:36 pm

G600 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:46 pm You could try this to stop the rust, dilute it and spray in on the brakes when you was the car
I use Atom Mac every time I wash the wheels. Dilute it into a spray bottle. One of the main reasons that I bought this https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/brands/metrovac was to blast through the drilled holes and dry every bit of the discs and calipers, as well as the wheels of course.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

srhutch

Rust centrifuge?

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:50 am

I would run a drill through the holes just to clean any crap out of them.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Rust centrifuge?

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Chris_D wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:18 am Could be an indication that your discs are corroding quite badly.
As bad as this????
IMG_0444.jpeg
IMG_0444.jpeg (435.98 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
IMG_0443.jpeg
IMG_0443.jpeg (449.19 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
Just over three years old and 18k on our 335xD- Oh and no, I don't park it in a pond :D
I cost me £640 to replace them - The outside faces looked perfect so there is a real possibility that Chris_D thoughts could be correct.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

G600

Rust centrifuge?

Post by G600 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 am

£640!? :cry:
E85 3.0

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Rust centrifuge?

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:47 pm

G600 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 am£640!? :cry:
Afraid so!
Bmw price was £840 - they are the M Sport brakes and are the big disc option. They never felt that good from new, always sounded and felt rough - I thought just bedding in.
Over time I just accepted it but on its first MOT I got an advisor notice - this is the condition six months later at change :thumbsdown:

I suspect they were damaged/ defective from new!

Full BMW history but they didn’t offer any contribution towards replacement. Nor did they offer any reasons for the failure. Ie Lack of use, physical damage, disc or pad material - it would have been nice to know :thumbsdown:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Yeddheng

Rust centrifuge?

Post by Yeddheng » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:59 am

That was a bad one Ronk! Looks like a brake pad failure.
But You are lucky it wasn't the Z4M. The front discs, pads and labour will drain your wallet of twice as much!

I've just placed an order for some Atom Mac, I'll give it a try when it arrives

My Z4MC