Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New machine polisher

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nanu » Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 pm

Just invested in a Van Haus machine DA polisher which is a good entry level machine. My intention is not to do any serious work, more just to remove a few light swirls and generally make the job of polishing and waxing the car easier and less strenuous.

Clayed the car yesterday and gave it the once over with Pourboys black hole polish and whilst it has removed most of the swirls I was unable to wax it because of a few heavy showers in the area. I could have another go at the weekend and remove all the swirls but as a complete beginner with a machine I am happy with the results. May try to be a little more adventurous later in the year when it needs doing again

Has anyone any tips re waxing using a machine?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Black hole is actually a glaze with fillers IIRC

You wont remove any swirls with that,but it will make them look better short term.

Get a microfibre cutting pad and megs ultimate compound and set about it,approx 2 hours a panel will get it swirl and hologram free..

Never wax using a machine

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by PerryGunn » Mon May 06, 2019 8:30 pm

I don't like to rain on your parade but Black Hole isn't really a polish that will remove swirl marks, it's a filler-heavy product that disguises swirls and light scratches by filling them in - a good wash or two will remove it and the swirl marks will be back.

To remove swirl marks you need a 'proper' polish (of one or more grades) - it's difficult to say what grades you'd need but if you have a look at some of the DA kits available on detailing product websites you should get an idea.

Personally, I like the Menzerna polishes and find that a pass (or 2) with a 2500-grade followed by 3500/4000-grade gives good results for light scratches/swirl marks on BMW paint

Addendum: If you didn't know already, the pads you use also have an effect on the aggressiveness of the polish (see image for HexLogic pads, one of the more common types - I find orange, green and white cover the majority of my needs). As a basic rule, you should start with the least aggressive combo you have and move to more aggressive combos until you achieve the desired result (do this on one panel and then you'll know what you are doing with the rest)
HexLogic.jpg
HexLogic.jpg (148.47 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Davz

New machine polisher

Post by Davz » Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:30 pm Personally, I like the Menzerna polishes and find that a pass (or 2) with a 2500-grade followed by 3500/4000-grade gives good results for light scratches/swirl marks on BMW paint
Top choice :thumbsup:
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nanu » Tue May 07, 2019 4:02 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:30 pm I don't like to rain on your parade but Black Hole isn't really a polish that will remove swirl marks, it's a filler-heavy product that disguises swirls and light scratches by filling them in - a good wash or two will remove it and the swirl marks will be back.

To remove swirl marks you need a 'proper' polish (of one or more grades) - it's difficult to say what grades you'd need but if you have a look at some of the DA kits available on detailing product websites you should get an idea.

Personally, I like the Menzerna polishes and find that a pass (or 2) with a 2500-grade followed by 3500/4000-grade gives good results for light scratches/swirl marks on BMW paint

Addendum: If you didn't know already, the pads you use also have an effect on the aggressiveness of the polish (see image for HexLogic pads, one of the more common types - I find orange, green and white cover the majority of my needs). As a basic rule, you should start with the least aggressive combo you have and move to more aggressive combos until you achieve the desired result (do this on one panel and then you'll know what you are doing with the rest)
Thanks for the detailed response which tells me all I want to know. Just a beginner with machines and really only looking to use them to reduce the effort but will order some of the stuff advised and use it next time.

Looks like from previous post it's waxing by hand unless someone else advises otherwise?

Still looks pretty good after my initial effort and may post pics when waxing is done before I get the usual response

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nanu » Tue May 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:26 pm Black hole is actually a glaze with fillers IIRC

You wont remove any swirls with that,but it will make them look better short term.

Get a microfibre cutting pad and megs ultimate compound and set about it,approx 2 hours a panel will get it swirl and hologram free..

Never wax using a machine
Thanks for the advice

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nictrix » Tue May 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Wax is easy enough to go on that you dont need a machine.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

scooobydont

New machine polisher

Post by scooobydont » Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm

If you need hexlogic pads:

Blatantly pinched from the detailing world forum:

Carparts4less only ever used to do the black pads but recently have started carrying many more, albeit not all 7 different compositions. They do red/black/blue/white/yellow but NOT orange or GREEN.

If you go via topcashback that gets you 3.03% cashback making them £6.45 each delivered.

Usual things apply - search using the Eurocarparts website and then copy/paste the product code in to the carparts4less site.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/Hexlogic

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nanu » Tue May 07, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks guys. There is obviously more to this subject than I first thought.

I agree liquid wax is easy stuff to put on and buff but hard wax does take more effort, hence the thought of using the soft pads to apply and the sheepskin one to buff.

Also I assume the higher the grade on the polish mentioned previously the finer and more gentle the cut?

I have 1 red hard, 2 yellow medium and a black soft pad supplied with the machine. So also presume that a gentle cut with a hard pad should be about the same as a more aggressive cut with a softer pad?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nanu » Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Based on various advice received I have gone for Menzerna Medium Cut 2400 which gets a good all round write up. We may even get some dry weather for a couple of days to get the job done.

I did apply a coat of Autoglym super resin polish to the car after the last polish so will this stuff remove that presumably with a medium pad and hopefully just a couple of passes?

A novice at this stuff so as always advice always welcome

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by PerryGunn » Thu May 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 pm I did apply a coat of Autoglym super resin polish to the car after the last polish so will this stuff remove that presumably with a medium pad and hopefully just a couple of passes?
The SRP shouldn't be a problem but ensure you give the car (or at least the panel you're working on) a good wash before you start - you don't want to be grinding any dirt/grit into the paint. I normally wipe down with some IPA to ensure a squeaky clean surface
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

mjennings23

New machine polisher

Post by mjennings23 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:22 am

scooobydont wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm If you need hexlogic pads:

Blatantly pinched from the detailing world forum:

Carparts4less only ever used to do the black pads but recently have started carrying many more, albeit not all 7 different compositions. They do red/black/blue/white/yellow but NOT orange or GREEN.

If you go via topcashback that gets you 3.03% cashback making them £6.45 each delivered.

Usual things apply - search using the Eurocarparts website and then copy/paste the product code in to the carparts4less site.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/Hexlogic
This is welcome news to me, but they do actually have the Orange Quantum pads now too at £7.30 each before cashback

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nanu » Sat May 11, 2019 9:39 am

PerryGunn wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:19 pm
Nanu wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 pm I did apply a coat of Autoglym super resin polish to the car after the last polish so will this stuff remove that presumably with a medium pad and hopefully just a couple of passes?
The SRP shouldn't be a problem but ensure you give the car (or at least the panel you're working on) a good wash before you start - you don't want to be grinding any dirt/grit into the paint. I normally wipe down with some IPA to ensure a squeaky clean surface
Thanks, Will give it a wash and another polish with the Menzera between showers today and tomorrow.

Still don't see a problem with applying wax with a soft pad and using a sheepskin pad for the final finish?

Is there something I am not getting?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New machine polisher

Post by Nanu » Sat May 11, 2019 7:48 pm

One wash, one machine polish (removed 90% of swirls at first attempt) and two coats of wax all done between rain and hail showers requiring being put in and out of the garage several times.

Quite pleased with the results. :D
Attachments
IMG_1303 (1).JPG
IMG_1303 (1).JPG (201.98 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
IMG_1297 (1).JPG
IMG_1297 (1).JPG (162.8 KiB) Viewed 1745 times

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Lambpie

New machine polisher

Post by Lambpie » Sun May 12, 2019 7:59 am

Looks good - the bonus is a sense of satisfaction of a job well done too! Similar plans for me today, hope mine looks as good!
Now..... 2007 3.0si Coupe, Montego Blue
Gone... 2008 3.0si Coupe, Stratus Grey (twice)