Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do you usually wash? one bucket? Two bucket?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
CRAIGO

Post by CRAIGO » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Exactly. Washing the Z4 takes no time. That’s why the family x-trail is always dirty. It takes about an hour to wash and dry

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Two bucket method for me too, plus fallout remover on wheels.

If I have more time I will citrus spray bottom, snow foam then pressure wash off then do the two bucket wash. But after either wash method the car gets dried with some Sonax or ceramic detail spray and a microfibre cloth while it's still wet
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

rosskins

Post by rosskins » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Pressure wash, snow foam, sponge & spray wheels, pressure wash again then microfibre. 40 mins. Oops, exhaust tips... no wonder they look :oldman:
Current: F-Type AWD V6 & M135i
Before: ZR3.0si, 525d, 325ti, 120d, A3-2.0DSG, 323T4x4, MX3-V6, 2CV, MetroVP, Mini850
Zed was fitted with: None run flats, Stubby, Cruise, Intravee, DrilledFogs, WiredCam & 326s

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 am

Some gold comments in this thread! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My method:
Snow foam pre-soak
Two-bucket wash for the bodywork, starting top down, back to front
Rinse bodywork
Then wash the wheels with the remainder from the main bucket
Finish off by drying it all off with a couple of microfibre towels
And finally a good coating of wax to seal it all in.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 am

I don't use buckets. I use Europeans. Currently I use the 3 European method.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am

TR4man wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:19 pm I use the "no bucket method" too.

Just a fiver and a couple of Eastern Europeans.

Haven't thought what I'm going to do after 29th March.
Don't worry the Africans can take over the they have in a car park near me.

I use the 2 bucket most of the time but if the car has only light dust on it and a few bee bombs from sitting on the drive I will use the 1 bucket or a no rinse wash like ONR.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:53 am

brillomaster wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 am I don't use buckets. I use Europeans. Currently I use the 3 European method.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 am

I was thinking about this, I like some others use a pressure washer in the mix if I am in the mood. But let's be honest here, a jetwash is a toy we like to play with, like a BBQ. As soon as you introduce the washer into the mix it will take 3 times longer but it's fun. But a bucket and sponge with hose would take 5 mins tops in truth. 10 mins if your slow.
:lol:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:56 pm

road warrior wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm I think you need to get out more.. :rofl:
:rofl: I couldn't agree more. 40 hours of driving this week and spent the last 5 thinking which way I'm going to clean the car when I get to the other end
TR4man wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:19 pm I use the "no bucket method" too.

Just a fiver and a couple of Eastern Europeans.

Haven't thought what I'm going to do after 29th March.

hahaha simple but very effective!

gold comments but interesting reading too, I guess I should have re-titled it 'are buckets a waste'. Reason why I asked mainly was that it seems stocking a load of buckets is a waste
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:25 pm

i bought a titan jetwash from screwfix which is waaay better than the usual karcher overpriced rubbish and after winding you lot up and showing my filthy steve, i thought i would brave the cold and wash it - till i got out there and put my hand in the cold bucket of water and thought sod it.. so out came the titan and i just jetwashed it.. now i wont say its a 3 bucket result or even one bucket result..
but the car is clean again and i didnt get wet or cold either... :D and no albanians were used - so.. :thumbsup:

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10 pm

With a shower generally (if available)
1. Apply shampoo to hair making sure to get right into the roots.
2. Rinse Hair with warm water.
3. Apply showergel to sponge and go to town with that.
4. Rinse
5. Dry off
6. Apply Talc.

I gest of course! :rofl:

For my Zed, it's this:
1. Snowfoam, let dwell then rinse with pressure washer
2. Spray Iron remover on wheels and lower bodywork (bumpers, skirts and lower doors etc) and let dwell for a few moments.
3. Rinse with pressure washer.
4. 2 Bucket method with lambswool mitt.
5. Shampoo off starting from upper to lower car.
6. Using a separate bucket and mitt, wash wheels thoroughly.
7. Jet wash off the car
8. Now at this point it's either a spray and dry with Quick detailer; or if doing a full decon and paint reno then steps 9 onwards will be explaining this.

9. (full detail steps) - Whilst car is wet, using a clay mitt go over the car to get all small contaminants out.
10. Rinse the car again with pressure wash
11. Dry car with a proper drying cloth.. not a CHAMOIS!!
12. Machine polish mine normally only gets a single stage as this is enough but you may need 2 or 3 passes.
13. Quick detail any dust or compound residue off.
14. Apply a glaze and buff off.
15. Apply sealant and buff off.
16. Apply a wax and buff off.
17. Apply tyre shine (I use a satin finish as to not get that glossy "wet" look)
18. Clean and treat all of the windows
19. Polish exhaust tips
20. Clean interior with hoover, dust off any interior surfaces and treat the trims with a satin finish.

21. - If you are really keen... clean engine bay but unless it is really bad.. I never really bother, only give a quick wipe down with a cloth and de-greaser.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Your steps 14-16 are the interesting points to me. So, from a chemical point of view, I’m told that overlaying a sealant on the filler is literally a waste of time as the solvents will quite literally remove the filler when buffing it off. Hope I’m wrong but think I’m right :headbang:

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 am

Angelus666 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 pm Your steps 14-16 are the interesting points to me. So, from a chemical point of view, I’m told that overlaying a sealant on the filler is literally a waste of time as the solvents will quite literally remove the filler when buffing it off. Hope I’m wrong but think I’m right :headbang:
I'm not entirely sure to be honest; I do leave curing time in between the steps, so say about an hour after buffing (when the weather is warmer)
For me I use a dark glaze which just gives slightly more depth rather than filling in the swirls as these swirls would be removed whilst using the DA.

Whether or not that's right I'm not entirely sure but it's whatever works for you I guess.

schwin

Post by schwin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:46 am

coupedan wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10 pm With a shower generally (if available)
1. Apply shampoo to hair making sure to get right into the roots.
2. Rinse Hair with warm water.
3. Apply showergel to sponge and go to town with that.
4. Rinse
5. Dry off
6. Apply Talc.

I gest of course! :rofl:

For my Zed, it's this:
1. Snowfoam, let dwell then rinse with pressure washer
2. Spray Iron remover on wheels and lower bodywork (bumpers, skirts and lower doors etc) and let dwell for a few moments.
3. Rinse with pressure washer.
4. 2 Bucket method with lambswool mitt.
5. Shampoo off starting from upper to lower car.
6. Using a separate bucket and mitt, wash wheels thoroughly.
7. Jet wash off the car
8. Now at this point it's either a spray and dry with Quick detailer; or if doing a full decon and paint reno then steps 9 onwards will be explaining this.

9. (full detail steps) - Whilst car is wet, using a clay mitt go over the car to get all small contaminants out.
10. Rinse the car again with pressure wash
11. Dry car with a proper drying cloth.. not a CHAMOIS!!
12. Machine polish mine normally only gets a single stage as this is enough but you may need 2 or 3 passes.
13. Quick detail any dust or compound residue off.
14. Apply a glaze and buff off.
15. Apply sealant and buff off.
16. Apply a wax and buff off.
17. Apply tyre shine (I use a satin finish as to not get that glossy "wet" look)
18. Clean and treat all of the windows
19. Polish exhaust tips
20. Clean interior with hoover, dust off any interior surfaces and treat the trims with a satin finish.

21. - If you are really keen... clean engine bay but unless it is really bad.. I never really bother, only give a quick wipe down with a cloth and de-greaser.

Enjoy :thumbsup:
Someone as OCD as me. Glad I’m not the only one. Have you tried Carbon Collective products? Their hybrid and speciale ceramic sprays are awesome

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm

schwin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:46 am Someone as OCD as me. Glad I’m not the only one. Have you tried Carbon Collective products? Their hybrid and speciale ceramic sprays are awesome
I have not just yet though I have heard good things about them - I do need to refresh some of my detailing gear for coming into Spring / Summer so will probably get some then!