Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter detailing

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Angelus666

Winter detailing

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:51 pm

Gwest44 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:09 pm
Gwest44 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 pm Sorry to answer your question with a question but did you have the 224s finished yourself or were they on the car when you got it - thinking about that finish on mine rather than standard silver?
Yeah, got these done a couple of years back now at Premier Body Shop in Ware with a custom paint mix to try and contrast the Ruby Black paint. TBH they were great for the first year, but haven't held up as well as the wheels on my TTRS, which I had powder coated, and I would go that way when doing them again.
Interesting thanks for that - thinking of having my wheels done and coincidentally my Z4MC s Ruby Black as well.

Interested to hear how you approach the detailing process but to be honest I have to admit to being a complete novice so was hoping you could answer the following:

Strip wash - what’s that initial jet wash stage?
Clay - would you do this after the above or after snow foam stage?
Wax - again when would you do this after the clay process?
APC - what’s this?
Snow foam - do you just apply this, leave for a bit then rinse off?
Korrosol - what’s this do?
Sonax BSD - how do you apply this and remove it?

Sorry for so many questions feel - just tell me to do one if you prefer :thumbsup:
Yeah, I'd watch a few videos if you really want to get into it. But, with these things, start simple and build from there. As a novice, I'd just start with the below.....tbh everything else (decontaminating, claying, etc...) isn't really needed until you get into it a bit more. I'd look to spend about £30 in total...2 buckets, 2 wash mitts, wheel brush, shampoo, 10 microfibre towels, Sonax BSD, glass cleaner.

Start to finish this should take 45mins at a medium pace....

Wheels - get your most crappy buckets and fill with car shampoo and get a wheel brush and old wash mitt. Start with the rears and finish on the fronts.
- Jetwash the wheels and arches for 30 seconds
- Spray some all-purpose cleaner all over the wheels, tyres and arches...allow to dwell for a minute
- Use the brush to agitate off the dirt off the alloy, scrub the tyres, arches then use the wash mitt to rub down the alloy and tyres

Bodywork - get two decent buckets, two decent wash mitts, fill one with warm water and shampoo (wash), the other with cold water only (rinse)
- spray the bodywork down with the pressure washer as best you can, paying attention to the lower half more
- spray diluted all-purpose cleaner all over the paintwork, paying attention to the lower half more, leave to dwell for 2 mins then rinse off
- then wash the car from the top down, very light pressure, smooth straight passes, remembering to rinse the wash mitt every other pass. Leave the side skirts and rear bumper until last (they're always the dirtiest parts)
- jet wash the suds off the car as best you can....should be looking half decent now
- now use your detail spray (Sonax BSD is my favourite at the moment) and lightly spray all over the wet car
- use a decent clean drying towel such as a big microfibre towel to dry the car, gently rubbing the detail spray onto the panel
- when the car is dry, take the detail spray again and mist over a panel at a time, using a microfibre to buff off

Glass - get a decent glass cleaner and two microfibre towels
- spray the glass cleaner on the glass liberally, use one towel to work it in all over
- use the other clean towel to buff up to a high shine

Empty and rinse out all your mitts and buckets so they are clean for next time.

Then stand back and admire your work until, of course, it rains 10 mins later and you come out the next morning to find a curry eating bird has exploded all over your nice clean paintwork. You'll finally wake up 3 years later to find out you've spent about £4k on car cleaning stuff without even noticing it.... :rofl:

Gwest44

Winter detailing

Post by Gwest44 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:51 pm
Gwest44 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:09 pm Yeah, got these done a couple of years back now at Premier Body Shop in Ware with a custom paint mix to try and contrast the Ruby Black paint. TBH they were great for the first year, but haven't held up as well as the wheels on my TTRS, which I had powder coated, and I would go that way when doing them again.
Interesting thanks for that - thinking of having my wheels done and coincidentally my Z4MC s Ruby Black as well.

Interested to hear how you approach the detailing process but to be honest I have to admit to being a complete novice so was hoping you could answer the following:

Strip wash - what’s that initial jet wash stage?
Clay - would you do this after the above or after snow foam stage?
Wax - again when would you do this after the clay process?
APC - what’s this?
Snow foam - do you just apply this, leave for a bit then rinse off?
Korrosol - what’s this do?
Sonax BSD - how do you apply this and remove it?

Sorry for so many questions feel - just tell me to do one if you prefer :thumbsup:
Yeah, I'd watch a few videos if you really want to get into it. But, with these things, start simple and build from there. As a novice, I'd just start with the below.....tbh everything else (decontaminating, claying, etc...) isn't really needed until you get into it a bit more. I'd look to spend about £30 in total...2 buckets, 2 wash mitts, wheel brush, shampoo, 10 microfibre towels, Sonax BSD, glass cleaner.

Start to finish this should take 45mins at a medium pace....

Wheels - get your most crappy buckets and fill with car shampoo and get a wheel brush and old wash mitt. Start with the rears and finish on the fronts.
- Jetwash the wheels and arches for 30 seconds
- Spray some all-purpose cleaner all over the wheels, tyres and arches...allow to dwell for a minute
- Use the brush to agitate off the dirt off the alloy, scrub the tyres, arches then use the wash mitt to rub down the alloy and tyres

Bodywork - get two decent buckets, two decent wash mitts, fill one with warm water and shampoo (wash), the other with cold water only (rinse)
- spray the bodywork down with the pressure washer as best you can, paying attention to the lower half more
- spray diluted all-purpose cleaner all over the paintwork, paying attention to the lower half more, leave to dwell for 2 mins then rinse off
- then wash the car from the top down, very light pressure, smooth straight passes, remembering to rinse the wash mitt every other pass. Leave the side skirts and rear bumper until last (they're always the dirtiest parts)
- jet wash the suds off the car as best you can....should be looking half decent now
- now use your detail spray (Sonax BSD is my favourite at the moment) and lightly spray all over the wet car
- use a decent clean drying towel such as a big microfibre towel to dry the car, gently rubbing the detail spray onto the panel
- when the car is dry, take the detail spray again and mist over a panel at a time, using a microfibre to buff off

Glass - get a decent glass cleaner and two microfibre towels
- spray the glass cleaner on the glass liberally, use one towel to work it in all over
- use the other clean towel to buff up to a high shine

Empty and rinse out all your mitts and buckets so they are clean for next time.

Then stand back and admire your work until, of course, it rains 10 mins later and you come out the next morning to find a curry eating bird has exploded all over your nice clean paintwork. You'll finally wake up 3 years later to find out you've spent about £4k on car cleaning stuff without even noticing it.... :rofl:
Tell you what mate you’ve nailed it there - pitched at the ideal level for me and as you say gives me a real clear process to follow initially and build on as required.

Really appreciate that - thanks :thumbsup:
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 7xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

Angelus666

Winter detailing

Post by Angelus666 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 pm

No problem! I weirdly find it quite therapeutic cleaning cars, my neighbours think I’m mad, always saying youre so good at that you should do that for a living! :rofl:

Vijay

Winter detailing

Post by Vijay » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Quick question - do you polish the car with polishers and compounds etc before applying the Sonax? Or, can one just apply after a full de-contamination?
Would love to come and watch one day!...
2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i

Angelus666

Winter detailing

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 am

They do different jobs really. You’d polish the car maybe once a year to remove any swirls you have...and then apply a final stage filler, wax, sealant, etc. The sonix bsd is a detail spray you’d use after every wash, it’s probably better than most waxes at 5 times the cost when comparing the performance.

Always happy to show anyone my weekend warrior knowledge. Send me a PM if you want to set something up.