Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheels - Wonder Wheels or something else?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Well I'm not often found on this part of the forum, but I recently bought another set of wheels (probably going on my 3 Series) and although I've washed them there are a few patches of stubborn dirt.

I'm sure I read somewhere that some wheel cleaners are acidic which can cause problems, but I have some Wonder Wheels?

Would it be OK to use this, only I don't want to cause more harm than good?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Wonder Wheels is acidic , if you use it wash off immediately , im not a fan of any wheel cleaning agents , they don't remove brake dust with a magic potion :cry:
Id try AG SRP first if you have some
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Try Dragons breath :thumbsup: Stinks like hell, hence the name but first class stuff
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

So Wonder Wheels doesn't look like a good idea then!

I don't have any AG SRP, but even if I did I think it would be hard to actually get to apply it to where the dirt is (wheels are CSL reps and it's on the rims between the spokes).

I did read somewhere about Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner which claims to be PH adjusted, so maybe that's worth a try.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Are you sure it’s dirt? If it’s brake dust build up you might need something like Dragon’s Breath or Iron Out. Iron Out stinks too.

Would try something SRP first though and then move onto something more potent if that doesn’t work. You could also try a small piece of claybar if the wheels haven’t been resprayed.
Last edited by MrPT on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

So Wonder Wheels doesn't look like a good idea then!

I don't have any AG SRP, but even if I did I think it would be hard to actually get to apply it to where the dirt is (wheels are CSL reps and it's on the rims between the spokes).

I did read somewhere about Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner which claims to be PH adjusted, so maybe that's worth a try.
I have used this in the past Iain and like most of their products it is good. Mind you it doesn’t smell very nice. I use their their clay bars too. :thumbsup:

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 pm

The attached link is what you need, although 'Dragon's Breath' is a similar product. https://www.bilthamber.com/car-cleaning ... g/korrosol This is Bilt Hamber's website, there are lots of great products here for preventing rust to waxing your car. It is worthwhile having a look at all their products. Get yourself a wheel brush to get in between the spokes and crannies.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 pm

Really helpful replies - cheers!

The build-up isn't so much between the spokes, I'm not sure how to explain it but it's mostly on the lip on the rims between the spokes - if that makes sense. :roll:

Time to experiment I think!

I'm not sure if it will show too well, but I've added a photo of one of the wheels.
Attachments
CSL Rep.jpg
CSL Rep.jpg (250.28 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 pm

It's quite normal for contamination to gather there. Korrosol (or whatever you choose) will shift it. Spray it on, let it dwell for about 4 minutes and use a wheel brush (similar to the attached photo, you can get them cheaper) to agitate it. Rinse of thoroughly, and then wash the wheel, again using the wheel brush to get into those crannies. Don't forget to do the inner barrel as well.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm

If you need to shift stubborn, accumulated dirt and brake dust then I would recommend Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner...best I've ever used and it's acid free :D https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax-wh ... fect-500ml You can get 500ml for about £8 if you search the web. I buy it in 5 litres for about £60. :thumbsup:
When you get them clean if you seal them with a good quality seal or wax etc it will make them much easier to clean next time, often with just regular shampoo and some decent brushes. I sealed mine with Soft99 Fusso Coat as an experiment a few weeks back and it is working superbly :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

derin100

Post by derin100 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm If you need to shift stubborn, accumulated dirt and brake dust then I would recommend Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner...best I've ever used and it's acid free :D https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax-wh ... fect-500ml You can get 500ml for about £8 if you search the web. I buy it in 5 litres for about £60. :thumbsup:
When you get them clean if you seal them with a good quality seal or wax etc it will make them much easier to clean next time, often with just regular shampoo and some decent brushes. I sealed mine with Soft99 Fusso Coat as an experiment a few weeks back and it is working superbly :thumbsup:
Going to give that a go on our X3 wheels because they're really quite bad.Thanks! :thumbsup:

(I'm such a sucker for detailing products so I just bought some online --- ECP has it at £7.95)
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

Rich61

Post by Rich61 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 am

Another vote for Bilthamber wheel cleaner i have found this to be the best.
It will easily sort the wheel in the photo out.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 am

I like Angelwax Billberry wheel cleaner,very good stuff,used it for years :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Bilthamber Autowheel and a brush as above and don't look back :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm

derin100 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 pm
patriot66 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm If you need to shift stubborn, accumulated dirt and brake dust then I would recommend Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner...best I've ever used and it's acid free :D https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax-wh ... fect-500ml You can get 500ml for about £8 if you search the web. I buy it in 5 litres for about £60. :thumbsup:
Going to give that a go on our X3 wheels because they're really quite bad.Thanks! :thumbsup:

(I'm such a sucker for detailing products so I just bought some online --- ECP has it at £7.95)
:thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !