Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Machine Polishing

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Mark-Z4

Machine Polishing

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:29 pm

I've never done it before but after spending alot of time hand polishing my fiancee 3 series ready for sale i think something for future use might be ideal.

Is there a small polishing kit i can use for when i have the likes of scratches etc?

I dont want to spend alot or go overkill as it wont get used much, the Z doesnt need any correction and her new car has been done. It's purely for any scratches or bird marks.

I once had a chips away guy who used a battery powered polisher, about the size of a drill so something like that really.

Thanks
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Machine Polishing

Post by Smartbear » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:32 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:29 pm I've never done it before but after spending alot of time hand polishing my fiancee 3 series ready for sale i think something for future use might be ideal.

Is there a small polishing kit i can use for when i have the likes of scratches etc?

I dont want to spend alot or go overkill as it wont get used much, the Z doesnt need any correction and her new car has been done. It's purely for any scratches or bird marks.

I once had a chips away guy who used a battery powered polisher, about the size of a drill so something like that really.

Thanks
Hi, for anybody that’s not an expert a DA polisher is easier/safer to use with almost zero risk to your paint, a rotary version can cause damage very quickly in the hands of an amateur :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Machine Polishing

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:56 pm

As Rob said, definitely a DA polisher as opposed to a rotary for someone who is not an expert, the rotary if you are not careful, builds up to much heat causing all sort of damage, I have a DAS 6, which I cannot recommend highly enough
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Angelus666

Machine Polishing

Post by Angelus666 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Even if you go the route of a DA, you would still need to spend about £300 just to get you a machine, a few pads and cutting, finishing compounds. I guess a friendly local forum member might let you borrow his for a few quid as an alternative.....?

Z4 Gaz

Machine Polishing

Post by Z4 Gaz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:29 pm

I have one of these. Since upgraded the pads but it does the job very well and has been used to do 3 different vehicles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUREN-ACTION-P ... lisher+kit

Along with some Meguires 105 and 205 you are looking at about £170

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiar-Meguia ... guires+205
E85 3.0i

Angelus666

Machine Polishing

Post by Angelus666 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:04 pm

You'll also need the extender and smaller plates/pads to work the areas that a 5/6 pad won't work on. Then you need panel wipe and a few other bits.

Mark-Z4

Machine Polishing

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:53 am

Thanks for the replys, I'll have a look at DA polishers. Gaz, thanks for the those links, that's the sort of price range I would want to start with. If I end up using more on friends cars etc then I can always go better in the future.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Mark-Z4

Machine Polishing

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Does anyone use or recommend the DUREN DA polishers? There's a few nicely priced starter kits available. eBay etc.

scooobydont

Machine Polishing

Post by scooobydont » Sun May 06, 2018 9:43 pm

You can get a das 6 pro from clean your car for £99inc:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... d_673.html

at the checkout enter code for £15 off and free delivery: DAS6GROUPBUY

Mark-Z4

Machine Polishing

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Confused®

Machine Polishing

Post by Confused® » Mon May 07, 2018 4:37 am

Make sure you get the right pad for the job, you can spend all day washing, deironizing, clay baring just to have waisted your time with the wrong pad. Trust me ive done it.

Mark-Z4

Machine Polishing

Post by Mark-Z4 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:58 am

I can't see that plugin for some reason.

Any info on pads? Its my fiancee car that's going to need it, it looks rich and glossy black from a distance but up close it has shimmer and swirles all over. Plus a bit of bird poop damage.

Z4 Gaz

Machine Polishing

Post by Z4 Gaz » Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 am

Depends on the car as they have different paint hardness.

BMW have very hard paint, older ones at least, and need aggressive pads and compound.

I use Orange Hex logic with Megs 105 Ultra cut compound to remove all the swirls on mine, followed by White Hex Logic with Megs 205.

Yellow is the most aggressive pad and would also be safe to use on an E85 IMO if the paint is bad.
E85 3.0i

Z4C_er

Machine Polishing

Post by Z4C_er » Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 am

I bought a Scholl S20 with purple pad combo kit. I'm yet to use it but it seems to get high praise.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Confused®

Machine Polishing

Post by Confused® » Mon May 07, 2018 5:00 pm