Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best polish for Silver grey Z4M

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
louie12

Post by louie12 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:54 pm

So got sucked in by the Harly Wax reviews and used yesterday after pressure wash rinse, 2 bucket wash, clay mitt and then wax. Seriously impressed with the ease of application on and off and would love to post pics but within 5 mins of finishing and standing back admiring, it lumped it down so heavily I had to take shelter. No doubt it beaded well, but this morning just Sahara dust splashes on it. In the few minutes I had to take it in it had a much deeper shine than any wax I've used before. Can't emphatically recommend yet but early signs are promising
Z4MR silver grey with lots of bits. Now stubby and proud.
Gone: 2007 4 pot Sport. Monaco Blue, cream leather. Whippy and proud.

Truth

Post by Truth » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:34 pm

On my silver grey m coupe I use AG UHD Wax and I like the results. Keep
An eye on eBay or amazon flash deals I got mine for £24 great stuff. It’s £54.99 on the Autoglym website!
Attachments
9DE0997B-D235-4D1A-9FC8-F55E17CCDBDF.jpeg
9DE0997B-D235-4D1A-9FC8-F55E17CCDBDF.jpeg (285.27 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Z4MC

jock156

Post by jock156 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:41 pm

WOW!

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Wed May 02, 2018 2:56 pm

louie12 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm Totally off subject but I've seen it a number of times on here: what is flimper (or non-flimper) all about?
There is a Forum member called "flimper". He has a very nice Interlagos Blue Z4MC, which he has owned for many years. His Zed does not have sat nav. (However, somewhat unusually, it does have extended leather. I don't know if it has heated seats.)

Many years ago (before I joined 4 years' ago) another Forum member - PVR - coined the phrase "flimper spec" to denote a low spec Zed. How fair that was has been the subject of ongoing discussion and banter. Certainly PVR doesn't lose too much sleep on whether it was fair!

At the end of the day flimper is the only Forum member to become a recognised adjective in the Zed world!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed May 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Autoglym for mine. :thumbsup:

Truth

Post by Truth » Thu May 03, 2018 12:12 am

No satnav, no cd changer, no heated seats, no electric folding mirrors, no dvd, no parking sensors. None of which I wish to have and keeps my car lighter than others. Though does have xenons and extended leather so looks and feels nice in the cab and I can actually see at night. All in all better power to weight, leathery goodness and good lights!
Don’t mind being a flimper!
Z4MC

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Thu May 10, 2018 8:44 am

All good advice here. Depends on how 'perfect' you want to go. Even without a DA, if you were to clay bar before polishing you would see and feel great results. My $0.02 would be to wash with an aggressive cleaner (like stardrops) to remove the previous waxes and oils, then clay bar. Claying takes away the rough 'grittiness' you feel when you run your hands across the paint. It removes surface contaminants and fallout. This can be best experienced when you feel your car's paintwork through a thin plastic carrier bag (like a Tesco's shopping bag). Do it before you clay and then use it to gauge the results after. When I first clay-barred my car it was a revelation to me. So easy, but so effective.
When that's done, rinse down, and apply a good polish. A polish is a compound that will refine the surface. In it's purest definition, it will purely remove material and smooth down your paint. But will leave it open to the environment and will quickly deteriorate back to it's previous state. After clay barring, you will find that you may not have to do much polishing. The surface will be much smoother than when you started.
The next step is to protect what you have just done, which is usually done with a wax, glaze or sealant (often referred to as an LSP (Last Step Process). Also, some people here have referred to 'fillers' and that's just what the are. They fill and hide scratches. Some products like AG SRP have fillers. Not disrespecting SRP at all. It's a fantastic product. It is what you could describe as an All-In-One (AIO) as it cleans, polishes and contains a sealant.
If you want to skip a step, you could just clay bar and then apply a few coats of SRP. You won't be disappointed.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Yesbar

Post by Yesbar » Thu May 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi I have been using Meguiars Ultimate and is easy to use and brings up a lovely deep shine

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 pm

I was lazy when I owned my Z4M - got some good enough results with Meg's Ultimate Compound and Carnauba wax

GOD I miss that car

Autoglym SRP, no wax/sealant

Now I tend to use Menzerna cutting compounds as a personal favourite on customers cars and my own and gyeon ceramic coat / various carnauba's

Don't have anything silver grey to try it on but the results are lovely

Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage