Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scratch remover pen

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scratch remover pen

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:02 pm

What do you guys think to this?

https://regmans.com/products/regmans%E2 ... ch-remover

I saw a post on Facebook with hundreds of comments, a lot positive but the vast majority were people tagging other people to ask if it was for real, which the cynic in my made me wonder if the replies were being deleted?

I don't see how a pen with no specific colour could remove a scratch?
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scratch remover pen

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Here's the link, with some wonderful music!...

https://www.facebook.com/14634759934671 ... 547403673/
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Scratch remover pen

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:13 pm

I've used similar on my daily scrap boxes over the years. My understanding is that it basically melts the lacquer and so can fill in small scratches. The ones I have use did work to a point. But there no substitute for doing it properly. Never put one near my Zed though.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scratch remover pen

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:18 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:13 pm I've used similar on my daily scrap boxes over the years. My understanding is that it basically melts the lacquer and so can fill in small scratches. The ones I have use did work to a point. But there no substitute for doing it properly. Never put one near my Zed though.
Interesting, I have a small scratch near the bottom of the door on the Audi where someone has caught it with a trolley or something. Not big enough to warrant a spray, and always nervous about quick repairers anyway. Just wondered if it was worth a try (or a similar product). Just seemed a little "too good to be true"

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Scratch remover pen

Post by RickRob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm

I have read a lot about scratches recently, following my collision with a rose bush that jumped out from a flower border next to our drive and put a scratch all down the side of my Zed.

Apparently if you wet the scratch and it disappears until it dries, then the scratch is only to the clear coat. Whilst it looks as though you're seeing the primer, the light colour of the scratch is caused by the light refraction. In theory, therefore, if you can fill the scratch with something clear and smooth the scratch goes away. I guess that's what this pen is supposed to do.

I have just taken the plunge and bought three grades of wet and dry - 3000, 5000 and 7000. According to a You Tube video I watched, if one uses the 3000 across the scratch then it disappears and one then uses the finer grades in a circular motion to get it really smooth. A bit of polish and job done.

Sounds simple, but I am simple when it comes to anything that involves doing anything manual. Fortunately that has a couple of scratches. I suspect that the Discovery will be the test case before I let myself loose on the important car. :P

Using this pen would be a lot less scary! Not a lot of money to lose if it doesn't work.

Looking forward to other comments and thoughts on this one.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Scratch remover pen

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:27 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:18 pm
buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:13 pm I've used similar on my daily scrap boxes over the years. My understanding is that it basically melts the lacquer and so can fill in small scratches. The ones I have use did work to a point. But there no substitute for doing it properly. Never put one near my Zed though.
Interesting, I have a small scratch near the bottom of the door on the Audi where someone has caught it with a trolley or something. Not big enough to warrant a spray, and always nervous about quick repairers anyway. Just wondered if it was worth a try (or a similar product). Just seemed a little "too good to be true"
Noubt to lose by giving it a quick go. Shouldn't cause any issues. If it turns out it's a waste of a couple of quid, then you won't bother with it next time and some scally has made a few quid. :roll:

The ones I've used in the past certainly worked on tiny scratches, but then so does a little elbow grease and polish.

Darkangelv2

Scratch remover pen

Post by Darkangelv2 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 pm

From the video it looks like it contains clear coat that you are adding into the scratch and around it. As long as you polish the excess off afterwards, i suppose it could work.
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Scratch remover pen

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:37 pm

They sell it on Amazon, not great reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIX-PRO-SCRATC ... B003MNIKBS
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Scratch remover pen

Post by Ewazix » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:58 pm

I tried one a few years ago it was rubbish and looked far worse than gently reducing it with polishing. The other problem is that the pens clear coat is a different formulation to pro products used by magic paint repair technicians and will react when they come to put right the pen-bodge. This creates extra preparation work and is a PITA as I discovered, I just leave them to the paint-pro now.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Scratch remover pen

Post by GAZA62 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Easy way to check if you need paint or polish on a scratch is the finger nail test if you can feel it with your finger nail its gone through the clear if not it will polish out.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Scratch remover pen

Post by markeg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:59 pm

RickRob wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm
I have just taken the plunge and bought three grades of wet and dry - 3000, 5000 and 7000. According to a You Tube video I watched, if one uses the 3000 across the scratch then it disappears and one then uses the finer grades in a circular motion to get it really smooth. A bit of polish and job done.
If you ignore the product placement, this is a good guide. You will need a polish to get a good result, as well as the W&D paper.

Re: the pen, these seem to come out every few years with a slightly different marketing angle. The ones I looked at a few years back were just a clear oil mix.... (probably just WD40 in a pen, TBH)
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Anmarube

Scratch remover pen

Post by Anmarube » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:16 pm

RickRob wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm I have read a lot about scratches recently, following my collision with a rose bush that jumped out from a flower border next to our drive and put a scratch all down the side of my Zed.

Apparently if you wet the scratch and it disappears until it dries, then the scratch is only to the clear coat. Whilst it looks as though you're seeing the primer, the light colour of the scratch is caused by the light refraction. In theory, therefore, if you can fill the scratch with something clear and smooth the scratch goes away. I guess that's what this pen is supposed to do.

Sounds simple, but I am simple when it comes to anything that involves doing anything manual. Fortunately that has a couple of scratches. I suspect that the Discovery will be the test case before I let myself loose on the important car. :P

Using this pen would be a lot less scary! Not a lot of money to lose if it doesn't work.

Looking forward to other comments and thoughts on this one.

Pen is a waste of time.

Spray some clear lacquer into the lid of the spray can and using a small fine touch up brush fill the scratch over a period of hours until you are above the original surface.
Wet flat this down concentrating on the scratch and NOT the surrounding paintwork until level with the surrounding paint. Wet flatting with all four fingers. Not fingertips. 1500 grade. Finish over the area about 6 inches around the repair with 2000 grade and then polish until happy.
Without a Paint Depth Guage it's a risk going through the clear coat but nothing to lose if the damage is bothering you.
Gimmicks will not work. What I have explained will work to probably 90% of the damage and probably not noticeable from a couple of feet away.

Anmarube

Scratch remover pen

Post by Anmarube » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Make sure no dust or dirt on the panel when wet flatting as if the paper grabs a little piece it will cause a problem. I wet flat in straight lines only unless I'm using very fine flatting pads on a DA.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Scratch remover pen

Post by RickRob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Good info from markeg and Anmarube. Thanks.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Scratch remover pen

Post by Lynchy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:54 pm

The repair pens from what I understand contain a lacquer, so when applied you are replacing damaged lacquer.
However, if the scratch has gone through the lacquer and paint then the repair pen will have no effect. That is only my opinion of course :thumbsup: