Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leather Re-Colour - I need some advice/help.

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:33 pm

So back in January i bought some Sports Seats, they were in my colour, BMW Oregon Pearl Grey but needed a little colour work.

I sent them to a company in Exeter, I won't name them just yet but it was a 100 mile around trip and i had to hire a van.

They looked lovely when i picked them up, like new. But when i got them some of the colour came off when i put some Autoglym conditioner on them. Phoned the company and they said it was probably over-spray. All seemed fine for a while. Until today when i noticed that there are big patches of colour starting to rub off.

I've emailed pics to the company and i should here from them on Monday but does anyone have any experience of this?

Its like they have not been primed before spraying or not sealed after.

Thanks

Mark
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Sounds like they didn't remove the leather top surface before re dyeing and sealing the leather.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Zoomer wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:56 pm Sounds like they didn't remove the leather top surface before re dyeing and sealing the leather.
You may be right then as i can see the original colour. Thank you, I'm just looking for info to quiz them on Monday. It's a shame as they have really good reviews.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Fully refunded today, no hassle at all. The company say they no longer paint leather due to the change in paints allowed to be used and the problems with adhesion this has caused for the last few months.

So spoke to a more local company today and I'm going to get booked in for a full retrim in the next few weeks.

Expensive outcome but a solution.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Well it sounds like a bit of hassle, but getting a refund that easily has to be a result. :thumbsup:

I hope you get a good finish from the next company - after all there is just something special about an E86 with Pearl Grey seats! :lol: (Not biased at all)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 pm Fully refunded today, no hassle at all. The company say they no longer paint leather due to the change in paints allowed to be used and the problems with adhesion this has caused for the last few months.

So spoke to a more local company today and I'm going to get booked in for a full retrim in the next few weeks.

I have 4 sets of sports seats in for new leather. It's the only sure way to make them look as new. Expensive but will last a long time compared to dying.

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:35 am

I love the pearl grey but im going to end up losing it. The new company wont paint for the reasons that I've had, so they will be trimmed along with the door cards.

I will probably keep a grey colour as it ties in with the grey headlining and sun visors. But may have 2 colours with the centres being black, I think it will make them easier to look after.

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 am

Anmarube wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 pm
Mark-Z4 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 pm Fully refunded today, no hassle at all. The company say they no longer paint leather due to the change in paints allowed to be used and the problems with adhesion this has caused for the last few months.

I have 4 sets of sports seats in for new leather. It's the only sure way to make them look as new. Expensive but will last a long time compared to dying.
Do you do upholster seats? How much does it normally cost?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes & no.
My wife is an upholsterer but declines seats as she has so much other work on. So she just does them for me on occasion. These 4 sets are all taken I'm afraid.

StephenM

Post by StephenM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Can anyone advise the approximate cost to have your seats recovered with leather - I have an E89 with the pure white design leather seats ?
E89 - 2009 Deep Sea Blue - SDrive 3.0I - pure white design interior

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:20 pm

StephenM wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 pm Can anyone advise the approximate cost to have your seats recovered with leather - I have an E89 with the pure white design leather seats ?
Between £600 to £750 without door cards. Depends who you use. Shop around. Look at their work etc.

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:20 pm
StephenM wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 pm Can anyone advise the approximate cost to have your seats recovered with leather - I have an E89 with the pure white design leather seats ?
Between £600 to £750 without door cards. Depends who you use. Shop around. Look at their work etc.
Yep. Mines just over £800 with door cards. All the companies ive spoke to this week use leather skins from Malaysia. They are all laser cut and machine stitched to manufacture spec and stitch pattern. Any colour you want, more than 1 colour and you can have like patterned seat pads etc. Then the leather company just remove the old leather and fit.

StephenM

Post by StephenM » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:49 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 pm
Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Yep. Mines just over £800 with door cards. All the companies ive spoke to this week use leather skins from Malaysia. They are all laser cut and machine stitched to manufacture spec and stitch pattern. Any colour you want, more than 1 colour and you can have like patterned seat pads etc. Then the leather company just remove the old leather and fit.
Can you recommend anyone please? I live in Billericay, Essex, but don’t mind travelling for a company who are very good

Looney

Post by Looney » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:15 am

StephenM wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:49 pm
Mark-Z4 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 pm
Anmarube wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:20 pm Between £600 to £750 without door cards. Depends who you use. Shop around. Look at their work etc.
Can you recommend anyone please? I live in Billericay, Essex, but don’t mind travelling for a company who are very good
Im in wickford, have a guy fixing my driver bolster in red nappa for £150. Interior company in battlesbridge on woodham road.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

StephenM

Post by StephenM » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Thank you - have you used them before or have they been recommended to you?