Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Snow foam without a pressure washer???

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
S26-UkZed

Post by S26-UkZed » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm

I thought I would give this snow foam a whirl, so I bought the foam gun for my Karcher K4 and 5L of snow foam from Halfords trade value range. After running out the extension lead + extension for hosepipe to reach out of the gate I rinsed off the Zed with the jet wash then attached the snow foam gun, what happens next is hilarious for anyone watching, you have approx 1min to run around like a lunatic spraying foam trying to cover the whole car before it runs out, I then stood admiring my pile of suds for the 3 minute dwell time, back on with the jet wash till all was back to Havanna Brown. I ran the car down the lane for a blow dry then back home to admire my handy work, don't get excited guys I honestly couldn't tell any difference from 20mins before when I started. So for me personally its back to the hose pipe and two bucket method with 2 cap fulls of Simoniz car wash wax and the all important microfibre cloth, I have however invested £8 in 600ml of Carplan No1 super gloss, this is so simple to apply and the result is impressive as is the smell of the product and allegedly lasts 12mths, the shine/water beading that is not the perfume lol.

scooobydont

Post by scooobydont » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:38 pm

S26-UkZed wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm I thought I would give this snow foam a whirl, so I bought the foam gun for my Karcher K4 and 5L of snow foam from Halfords trade value range. After running out the extension lead + extension for hosepipe to reach out of the gate I rinsed off the Zed with the jet wash then attached the snow foam gun, what happens next is hilarious for anyone watching, you have approx 1min to run around like a lunatic spraying foam trying to cover the whole car before it runs out, I then stood admiring my pile of suds for the 3 minute dwell time, back on with the jet wash till all was back to Havanna Brown. I ran the car down the lane for a blow dry then back home to admire my handy work, don't get excited guys I honestly couldn't tell any difference from 20mins before when I started. So for me personally its back to the hose pipe and two bucket method with 2 cap fulls of Simoniz car wash wax and the all important microfibre cloth, I have however invested £8 in 600ml of Carplan No1 super gloss, this is so simple to apply and the result is impressive as is the smell of the product and allegedly lasts 12mths, the shine/water beading that is not the perfume lol.
You already did the expensive bit by getting the hardware. I would give it another try with a another snow foam, BH I already mentioned but there are others out there. I have been using auto glanz:

https://auto-glanz.co.uk/piste.html

On the snow foam bottle there should be a screw cap (usually red) on the top that can be used to adjust the ratio, sounds like you had it up to high if it ran out after a few minutes. I can do mine twice over (not that I need too) and still have half a bottle left, or it could be the dilution ratio was wrong itself.

I totally appreciate that this isn't for everyone though, took me ages to figure it all out, but I like this kind of thing. :D #

With regards to not using one at all, I totally agree with the comments from others. However once you have polished your car and it have seen it swirl free (once you notice the difference you cannot go back, believe me!!), you will do anything to prevent the swirls returning. Snow foam is designed to remove the bulk of debris, not to totally clean the car. Dirt is just very small stones. The thought behind it is to help remove the debris before you have to make contact with a wash mitt (again this these help stop the debris getting in contact with the paint work). The aim is to clean the car as much as possible without actually touching the car as any contact with the car increases the likelihood of damaging the clearcoat (ie swirls).
Last edited by scooobydont on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:55 am In the winter just applying snowfoam and pressure washing (without doing a full wash) is a good/quick way to remove the dried on salt spray when they've been gritting the roads
srhutch wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 pm That’s what I tend to do with the daily in winter, just snow and pressure wash.
Another one here for that approach (I also do the under chassis foam & rinse bit as well) :thumbsup:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

scooobydont

Post by scooobydont » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:43 pm

markeg wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 pm
PerryGunn wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:55 am In the winter just applying snowfoam and pressure washing (without doing a full wash) is a good/quick way to remove the dried on salt spray when they've been gritting the roads
srhutch wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 pm That’s what I tend to do with the daily in winter, just snow and pressure wash.
Another one here for that approach (I also do the under chassis foam & rinse bit as well) :thumbsup:
It's worth doing the under chassis with this too:

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pr ... s/atom-mac

I sound like a bilt hamber rep, :rofl:

Bluecat

Post by Bluecat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Just tried the Mesto sprayer with the Valet pro snow foam. Once got the thing sealed up properly and 50 pumps later it seems to work quite well, you need to re prime the pump about a third of the way round the car but it does produce a decent amount to cover the car quite well imo, I got a second hand Mesto off amazon for a tenner but Wilko's do their own version for about £4.