Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Autoglym super resin polish

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
MT94

Post by MT94 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi there I always wash my car every weekend unless it is really raining I always wash and then use Autoglym Super Resin Polish after to give the car that extra shine and it does look amazing when it has been washed and polished my question is is using the Autoglym on my car weekly bad for the paint as I am aware that polish is used to take off a very small layer of paint am I actually doing more harm than good ?

Matt.
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:23 pm

No mate your not damaging the paint. SRP if a filler type sealant. (Very cheap one)
Before you do it next time try a claybar on the paint and then SRP. Will last about 3 months before you have to do it again. Can buy a claybar kit from Halfords if theirs one near. After a wash and dry you can then use a quick detailer like the one in the kit and I reckon you will be very happy. Look up a forum called Detailing World as there's lots of advice on it.

Regards.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 pm

Agree, using a polish with something like a rotary or dual action polisher every week would not be recommended but if you are just doing it by hand, the amount of topcoat you will be removing will be absolutely negligible.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

MT94

Post by MT94 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks for your replies I do clay my car twice a year and I do polish by hand so looks like I’m not doing any harm I have tried a few quick detailers before so I may try that more often.
Cheers Matt,
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:37 am

The only "harm" you could be doing is that the more you touch the paint with a cloth, the more you risk introducing swirl marks.

That is why I use the DI Vessel water to do the final rinse, i.e. to avoid having to touch the car with anything after washing.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 am

SRP as said is a filler polish so no harm done but no need to do this every time you wash the car 1 or 2 times a year is fine you should use AG EGP over SRP its a sealant and you can layer this for a nice gloss finish I also top off with a wax for a nice wet look finish then top the wax up every couple of months.

AG products are fine when working by hand and do what they say on the tin they get a bad rap but the more you pay the better the finish is not true its all in the prep.

The only thing I would say against SRP/EGP they can be a bitch to remove at times and they do dust.

Re the QD I use Megs Last Touch bought in bulk its a great all round product and I use it as a drying aid when washing the car and there are some nice show detailers out there for the just waxed look after washing.

My car wears AG SRP topped off with AG EGP then I use Victoria Concours wax for my LSP.
Last edited by GAZA62 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm

GAZA62 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 am SRP as said is a filler polish so no harm done but no need to do this every time you wash the car 1 or 2 times a year is fine you should use AG EGP over SRP its a sealer and you can layer this for a nice gloss finish I also top off with a wax for a nice wet look finish then top the wax up every couple of months.

AG products are fine when working by hand and do what they say on the tin they get a bad rap but the more you pay the better the finish is not true its all in the prep.

The only thing I would say against SRP/EGP they can be a bitch to remove at times and they do dust.

Re the QD I use Megs Last Touch bought in bulk its a great all round product and I use it as a drying aid when washing the car and there are some nice show detailers out there for the just waxed look after washing.

My car wears AG SRP topped off with AG EGP then I use Victoria Concours wax for my LSP.

Agree buddy and yes AG does get a bad press but as you say it's all in the prep. Great stuff for cheap prices as far as I am concerned. Mines due paint soon so just Swissvax Sheild on it but the wife's car has had a full wetsand and is wearing Swissvax Crystal Rock which is superb..(but doesn't last long)

Happy cleaning everyone...... :thumbsup:

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 pm

Anmarube wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm
GAZA62 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 am SRP as said is a filler polish so no harm done but no need to do this every time you wash the car 1 or 2 times a year is fine you should use AG EGP over SRP its a sealer and you can layer this for a nice gloss finish I also top off with a wax for a nice wet look finish then top the wax up every couple of months.

Agree buddy and yes AG does get a bad press but as you say it's all in the prep. Great stuff for cheap prices as far as I am concerned. Mines due paint soon so just Swissvax Sheild on it but the wife's car has had a full wetsand and is wearing Swissvax Crystal Rock which is superb..(but doesn't last long)

A full wet sand bet that looks good no orange peel :thumbsup:

Makes me think of Breaking Bad TV Series when I see Swissvax Crystal Rock some sort of European Meth Product :D

Happy detailing Russell :thumbsup:
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:12 pm

GAZA62 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 pm
Anmarube wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm

A full wet sand bet that looks good no orange peel :thumbsup:

Makes me think of Breaking Bad TV Series when I see Swissvax Crystal Rock some sort of European Meth Product :D

Happy detailing Russell :thumbsup:
Yey no more Orange peel on the Red paintwork which is a joy.
Crystal Rock is stunning...no way worth close to £900 but purchased because a customer wanted it so I may as well use it..can think of better for less bucks to be honest...Swissvax Sheild at about £130 is very very nice and my go to wax...BUT....as you say if the prep ain't no good then the final finish will be lacking whatever you put on the paint...

Keep em clean.... :thumbsup:

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Going off topic a bit, but are the ceramic coatings simply a better technology than sealant/wax, so should we all be looking to get these on the car instead? Any reasons why a wax is better than ceramic?

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 pm Going off topic a bit, but are the ceramic coatings simply a better technology than sealant/wax, so should we all be looking to get these on the car instead? Any reasons why a wax is better than ceramic?
Yes they are better to a degree, They will protect the paintwork by putting a coating on it and sealing in what's underneath.(The paint) and some of them do a great job, especially good if you only want to wash your car and get it back to the condition it was before it was dirty.
It gives a good appearance but is a little cold on some colours, on black it looks great but on Red it can look a bit dull where as a wax brings a certain warmth out of the colour but wont last as long.
Whatever you decide to protect the paint with is all down to getting it the best it can be on the prep stage.
If polishing remember to degrease the paintwork before applying otherwise it just won't bond to the paint.applying a Ceramic sealant also requires time to go off before any moisture hits it..At least 12 hours indoors to cure .

Not very good at explaining stuff to be honest but to summarise if you just want to wash your car and get it looking great again then a Ceraic sealant is the way to go.
If on the other hand you love a wet look then wax is the way forward. But more work and time.
What waxes is a completely new discussion that will bring opinions and arguments etc..Sealant wise..G Techniq stuff is excellent but needs reading up on before use...Once applied would have to be machine polished off again if you muck it up..
Me.....I Love WAX..

From an old fashioned Valeter/Detailer (LOL)
I mainly look after classics for peeps so sealant is a big NO NO anyway..

Hope this helps in some way..

Cheers

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks...nice explanation! I've been toying with DIYing a ceramic coating this spring, but I do quite like trying different products, so might keep with the glaze, sealant, wax combination. Another quick Q if I can....should we leave different product layers more than a couple of hours before applying. So, apply the glaze at 11am then wait until 1pm for a sealant, then 3pm for a wax? I read that if you don't leave enough time you're effectively taking off the previous product when applying the new one.....is that correct?

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Anything with solvents in needs to gas off before you put anything on top of it..The amount of time depends on how much solvent is in the product really so not knowing what product I can't really answer in truth...I would say give the previous coating a fair few hours maybe even do it over a couple of days whilst doing something else to the car to make sure. I can see that you have polished yours with a DA and hope you are pleased with the results, If you need any help with anything your not happy with and are near the Midlands I have no problem helping you out with a bit of wetsanding or Rotary polishing and sharing some experience with you, Just let me know. I have helped a few members on here and Zroadster in the past and have enjoyed the experience of helping someone out rather than a business arrangement where I'm paid to do a job.
A DA will get you loads further than by hand but a rotary will take it so much further and beyond, Even more so with a little bit of wetsand or peel removal.

Just to say on top of this I'm not touting for business as I have my customers that keep me as busy as I want to but more than willing to help Z4 owners get the best out of their car.

Cheers

Russ

Truth

Post by Truth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm

I use AG SRP and AG UHD Wax should I be using my AG gloss sealant in between the two or at the end or not at all? At the moment I pressure rinse, snow foam, pressure rinse wash, pressure rinse, Clay, (tar and glue remover if necessary) wash, rinse, dry, polish, buff off, wax, buff off, trim etc .... that sound about right? I don’t venture on the detailing parts that often! Cheers
Z4MC

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 am

Truth wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm I use AG SRP and AG UHD Wax should I be using my AG gloss sealant in between the two or at the end or not at all? At the moment I pressure rinse, snow foam, pressure rinse wash, pressure rinse, Clay, (tar and glue remover if necessary) wash, rinse, dry, polish, buff off, wax, buff off, trim etc .... that sound about right? I don’t venture on the detailing parts that often! Cheers
No what you are doing is fine the AG EGP and your wax are both LSP products i do use both bit of a belts and braces approach but no need really i think wax gives a much nicer look on paintwork than a sealant the only way i can describe it is it makes my Metallic Silver paint look like a gloss finish which i prefer
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO