Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leather Advice

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Mark-Z4

Leather Advice

Post by Mark-Z4 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:52 pm

I've just got myself some M seats in my actual interior colour Oregon Pearl Grey.
Its a lovely colour but a bitch to keep clean. These seats are in need of a good initial scrub to get the dirt off, after that i can look after them like i do with my current seats.

Can anyone recommend a product/s which is safe to use on lightly coloured leather to get the dirt off and to also restore some goodness.

Thanks
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Buckz

Leather Advice

Post by Buckz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:03 pm

try auto glym leather cleaner and then balm. Works well enough :)

bowler

Leather Advice

Post by bowler » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Furniture clinic for me. Totally re furbed some seats using their gear. After cleaning the seats came up very well and the balm seams to feed and seal the leather well.

Anmarube

Leather Advice

Post by Anmarube » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Steam buddy,
Watered down APC (All Purpose Cleaner) 50/50 mix a good scrub and then some steam if you can get your hands on a Steam cleaner..

Mark-Z4

Leather Advice

Post by Mark-Z4 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:28 am

Thanks guys, dont have any steam but ive been on Furniture Clinic for a deep cleaner and I'll see how i get on there as they have pretty much everything you could need. I've got the autoglym already to finish off with.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

dgm

Leather Advice

Post by dgm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 pm

Zymol leather cleaner using a soft shoe brush to gently agitate and then wipe it off with a microfibre cloth. Amazing stuff.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Mark-Z4

Leather Advice

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for the replys everyone. So today I had a go at the drivers seat as it was the worst. I don't think I've seen a lightly coloured seat this dirty, maybe never cleaned?

Anyway so I ordered some Furniture Clinic ultra deep clean and a conditioner. I started off by giving the seat a wash with a white sponge and warm water with a dash of fairy, then a spray of autogylm leather cleaner with a leather brush over the top to get in deep. Finished off with the ultra clean and a white sponge and a wipe down with a clean cloth. Then I went over with a hairdryer in places to tighten up some of the leather, then put the conditioner on after and it absorbed it straight away so I think they will need a few coats.

Here's a before and after pic. I just need to think about what I want to do now either have the worn leather repainted and tightened up in places or have the bolsters on the seat pad, back pad and headrest retrimmed in black with a light grey stitch. Then it's just a case of swapping my SE bases over to make them heated/memory.

Any opinions welcome.

Before

After
Last edited by Mark-Z4 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowler

Leather Advice

Post by bowler » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Mark are these the wrong way round, the before looks cleaner than the after?
If you go for the re dye its easier than you think i did it so it must be
Before and after on my Z3
P1020747.JPG
P1020747.JPG (141.45 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Attachments
P1020842.JPG
P1020842.JPG (113.86 KiB) Viewed 1893 times

Mark-Z4

Leather Advice

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Now there the right way around :thumbsup:

That looks really good. I did find a good re-colour step by step guide using Furniture Clinics kit, they do Oregon Pearl Grey too and I think a colouring could be a good move, the bolsters are solid. There is a place near me that can tighten up the leather, sort out any niggles and colour match so I will speak to them also.

Mark-Z4

Leather Advice

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Finished, just have to repair the worn colour bits and they will be mint. Struggled to find anything wrong on the passenger seat, i had to take the back part off and refit the seat pad but was straight forward.
Attachments
20171209_160248.jpg
20171209_160248.jpg (146.47 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

bowler

Leather Advice

Post by bowler » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am

Good job, very satisfying. Its worth taking the seats out of the car for a proper job.

Anmarube

Leather Advice

Post by Anmarube » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Very nice job Pal, Came up a treat.

Anmarube

Leather Advice

Post by Anmarube » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Very nice job Pal, Came up a treat.

stevo///m3

Leather Advice

Post by stevo///m3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 pm

That looks like a really good job there mate, top work. Always tough on light seats but worth it by the looks
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Mark-Z4

Leather Advice

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks guys. Re-colour on the drivers bolster and a few other bit are all booked in for January. Just have to swap the bases over after this and in they go :D . My fiance has not even questioned the large object in the garage covered in a sheet yet :rofl: