Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My noob detailing experience

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 pm

Steve84N wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:56 pm LSD is how you go sideways, LSP is Last Stage Protection. :wink:

Looks decent and yes a DA is worth it. Can get a reasonable one for £40-£60. Most of the fundamental shine comes from the paint being swirl free rather than the product on top so it's worth machine polishing to get that mirror finish.
Exactly ! It's what you do to the clearcoat before applying any seal/wax etc that is the key to achieving a great result. I would recommend Thanatu55 that you watch some of White Details videos on YouTube to see what is possible. I've been involved in valeting/detailing either professionally or personally for 32 years and Jim White is the best I've ever seen. He will certainly give you some food for thought. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:15 pm

There seems to be very many combinations to use to get a great shine. I am currently going through a phase of:

Clay mitt
Poorboys Scratch Remover (I have the 1 & 2 compounds and think that I really need the 2.5)
Poorboys Black Hole
Poorboys Natty's Black Paste Wax

I don't have any recent pics but did the whole routine a couple of weeks ago, by hand, and it sure made a difference. Rotary polisher could well be on by Xmas list.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:10 am

You'll be fine with a DA but if you're worried just start with some relatively soft pads and a polish with a mild cut. You'll seen realise how harmless it is and want for more power from a harder pad/harsher compound. I can recommend Sonax EX 04-06 as a one step polish.

As said though you'll be starting again so depends on whether you can face it.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 am

Good thread and great looking finish on the Zed, what are the wheels? Love the look of those.

I may take the plunge and invest in a DA myself, the finish i get by hand using bilt hamber gear is decent, but swirles remain. Would be nice to polish them out properly.
I'd practice on our runabout micra before going for it on the zed

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:30 am

The wheels are BBS LM reps and thanks :)

My paintwork isn't too bad, a few stone chips on the bonnet and annoyingly a couple of marks on the drivers side rear quarter but I've never noticed any swirls when I've been cleaning.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:03 pm

+1 for using a DA polisher, it would take a month of Sunday’s to remove swirls by hand. Get a microfibre pad to stand a fighting chance of polishing the rock hard bmw clear coat & the difference in clarity is marked :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

EddieMc

Post by EddieMc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:56 pm

I am a 100% complete novice at detailing but really impressed with the job you have done. My Z4 is ruby black in colour and I'm really looking forward to seeing it at its best, and its by reading articles like this, and all the feedback, and links to other websites that I'm building my knowledge and confidence to give detailing a go. First though, I'm thinking of getting a basic detailing job done by a professional and hopefully stay with him and watch how its done for real and see if I can pick up any pointers.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:07 am

dont bother with a pro on a 'cheap' car like a Z4...get some YouTube video watched and you'll be fine if you have a degree of common. You'll need £250 invested in a good DA some good pads and polish and it'll look great after you've put in a few hours work.

Gaffa22

Post by Gaffa22 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm in the process of completing a full detail on my E89
I'm using a DA, a DAS6 Pro with hexlogic pads and meguires 105 & 205 compounds.
An orange pad with 105 and 6 passes is removing 98% of the swirls and scratches, I am following this with a black pad and the 205, then a waxing pad with a paint cleaner. To provide the LSP I'm using Sonax Polymer Netsheild. This is giving me about as much gloss as I can expect from Alpine White paint.

As Rob pointed out BMW clearcoat is very hard, so using a DA with a high cut compound is unlikely to cause any damage unless the car has been polished many times and the clearcoat is getting a bit thin. I did have mine checked with a paint depth guage and does not look like mine had ever been machine polished before. So I do have plenty to work with.
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F