Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Post Reply
User avatar
ph001
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3273
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by ph001 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:54 am

I’ve had around 3 years experience with a DA and a multitude of various products on the Zed now and certainly come a long way in terms of technique and knowledge.

I jumped on board with the Bilt Hamber double speed wax last October, it always seemed to do well in reviews and indeed has just come top again in several more this year.

But i’m am just very unimpressed with it. I keep going back to it thinking I’ve maybe not applied it well enough, tried applying it very thinly, tried it after a full machine polish with the DA, tried applying it at various different temperatures. All I find is a relatively dull finish which doesn’t even have particularly good longevity.

Also find it fairly hard work to remove and you do get some annoying white residue on plastics. When removing with my korean microfibre, I have to turn the cloth much more frequently than other products, even to the point of marring the top coat if you don’t.

Anyone else had a poor experience with this stuff?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Image

Angelus666
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by Angelus666 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:09 am

Interesting. I’ve pretty much got through a tin of this over the past 2 years. My review is that it goes on well, but needs a strong microfibre to first remove, then a Korean to buff it up. To my mind it’s very similar to the Collinite 476s that I’m using now, which is maybe a little easier to remove. I’d definitely say my car with double speed attracts more dust. Not sure if this is scientific or accurate but just my feeling.

It doesn’t last anywhere near as long as Megs Ceramic Wax, which does last 6/7 washes.

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9814
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by Beedub » Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 am

if its wax you want....

kamikaze ceramic wax.....

thank me later.
www.topwrapz.com - Multi Award Winning Detailing|Wrap|PPF Specialist|

User avatar
ph001
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3273
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by ph001 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:48 am

Angelus666 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:09 am
Interesting. I’ve pretty much got through a tin of this over the past 2 years. My review is that it goes on well, but needs a strong microfibre to first remove, then a Korean to buff it up. To my mind it’s very similar to the Collinite 476s that I’m using now, which is maybe a little easier to remove. I’d definitely say my car with double speed attracts more dust. Not sure if this is scientific or accurate but just my feeling.

It doesn’t last anywhere near as long as Megs Ceramic Wax, which does last 6/7 washes.
...strange you should mention that as it’s exactly what I concluded recently. The plush microfibre cloths seem to ‘grab’ on it so I ended up using a short pile microfibre first. Strangely it seems to cause about a billion volts of static (I could literally feel the hairs on my arms standing on end!!) and the entire car became a total dust magnet.
Beedub wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 am
if its wax you want....

kamikaze ceramic wax.....

thank me later.
Is that the same thing as their infinity wax? Thats some serious outlay for a wax. I’ll read up on some reviews... cheers.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Image

KevBrowne
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:58 pm
Location: Surrey/Hants boarder

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by KevBrowne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 pm

I've used a few Bilt Hamber products, I really like them but........ I'm also not overly impressed with their double wax, for exactly the same reasons. I need to try an alternative but the price of that Kamikaze stuff is just ridiculous. :headbang:

Online
User avatar
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5166
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Mostly Holland. Sometimes UK.

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by Chris_D » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:26 am

Bilt Hamber claybar is tip top but their waxes aint all that afaiac.
Been using a pot of the amazing Harley Wax for 3 years now and barely notice its ever been used!
That pot will outlast me and go on serving more cars for another 50 years!
:lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
Image
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6917
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:51 am

If must have tried over 100 waxes ....

From the very cheapest to the most expensive.... Yes i have some Zymol royale :o

If your looking between £25-£40 which i suspect the huge majority of people do (including myself) then the best i have used is R222 concours and Kiwami extreme... Both incredibly easy to use and have excellent results.

User avatar
patriot66
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2308
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Mawdesley, Lancashire

Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax takes twice as long!

Post by patriot66 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:51 am
If must have tried over 100 waxes ....

From the very cheapest to the most expensive.... Yes i have some Zymol royale :o

If your looking between £25-£40 which i suspect the huge majority of people do (including myself) then the best i have used is R222 concours and Kiwami extreme... Both incredibly easy to use and have excellent results.
+1 for Kiwami :thumbsup: I've never been dissapointed with any Soft99 product that I've tried.
'03 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE / SMG / Matching Hardtop / Gloss Black MV3s / Bilstein B4s / DLV Backbox / Rebuilt VANOS / Carbon-wrapped Interior Trim / Re-Covered Steering Wheel / De-tango'd !

Post Reply