Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Minor paint repairs

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Tommo61

Minor paint repairs

Post by Tommo61 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi does anyone know anywhere Herts/Beds/Bucks who can do minor paint repairs without a full panel respray?

I have a patch of clear coat lifted on the top of a wing, smaller than a 10p caused by a leaf sticking or something. There's no rust or damage and the paint coat is fine,. but it's bugging me and will only get worse!

I took it to a local body shop and they said it would need the whole panel spraying for ~£150, which is probably a fair price for a panel respray, but seems a bit overkill if it can be repaired as a small area and polished in.

Any suggestions appreciated..
E85 3.0l si auto Midnight/Beige
E85 3.0l si man Sapphire/Beige (gone)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Minor paint repairs

Post by buzyg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Try chips away or similar. £150 for the panel seem pretty decent though. :)

Oh4show

Minor paint repairs

Post by Oh4show » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 am

You cant polish it if the lacquer is through it will only tare back the panel needs painted

Loxford

Minor paint repairs

Post by Loxford » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 pm

In theory, can it not be thoroughly cleaned, edges smoothed then touched up with clear coat. Then compounded flat and polished?
If it was mine, I'd have a go. The worst that could happen is you're not happy with the results and get the panel resprayed anyway.

Tommo61

Minor paint repairs

Post by Tommo61 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am

Loxford wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 pm In theory, can it not be thoroughly cleaned, edges smoothed then touched up with clear coat. Then compounded flat and polished?
If it was mine, I'd have a go. The worst that could happen is you're not happy with the results and get the panel resprayed anyway.
I think I might go down that route initially. - My local Chips Away didn't want it when I sent pictures and a small area of mismatched finish will look no worse than the failed patch that's there and give better protection. Worst case I'd just have to get the panel redone anyway.
E85 3.0l si auto Midnight/Beige
E85 3.0l si man Sapphire/Beige (gone)