Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Route planning

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Chippie

Route planning

Post by Chippie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:38 am

Hi all
I’ve just used Microsoft’s bing maps to plan my route for a trip up to Scotland and thought it would be handy for any members planning any meets/road trips.
You select a start and finish point and it will plan the available routes, but the best thing I found was you can drag any section of the route over to other roads, effectively letting you choose any route you wish, it then allows you to print out the route with either text, map or both, it gives you the time and distance and all junction/turns etc. You can also select coffee and food stops
Would save a lot of time researching and typing out routes
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Route planning

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:00 am

I’ll need to have a look at this as I’ve been struggling to find something user friendly for planning the route for our proposed European trip next year :thumbsup:

Oh and BTW, see if this takes you on the long and winding road and to every coffee shop on the way up and you’re late to the rendezvous point, we’re not waiting on you :poke: :rofl:

Not long to go now :driving:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

tiglon

Route planning

Post by tiglon » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:05 pm

You can do very similar on google maps - easier to plan the route on laptop or desktop than tablet or phone, but you can then save the maps and open on your phone to use in the car.
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Chippie

Route planning

Post by Chippie » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:39 am

tiglon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:05 pm You can do very similar on google maps - easier to plan the route on laptop or desktop than tablet or phone, but you can then save the maps and open on your phone to use in the car.
    Tried it last night which seems to work well for loading on smartphone, also looked at converting to load onto the cars sat nav but that seems a lot of messing about and possible subscription charges to google cloud/maps

Chippie

Route planning

Post by Chippie » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:45 am

Chippie wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:39 am Oh and BTW, see if this takes you on the long and winding road and to every coffee shop on the way up and you’re late to the rendezvous point, we’re not waiting on you
    I’ve tried to plan a more scenic route, between 5 and 6 hours depending on traffic and coffee stops :D
    If we can get a reasonable start hopefully after the rush hour traffic, then should be at Inverness around 5pm

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Route planning

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:56 am

Chippie wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:45 am
    Chippie wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:39 am Oh and BTW, see if this takes you on the long and winding road and to every coffee shop on the way up and you’re late to the rendezvous point, we’re not waiting on you
    I’ve tried to plan a more scenic route, between 5 and 6 hours depending on traffic and coffee stops :D
    If we can get a reasonable start hopefully after the rush hour traffic, then should be at Inverness around 5pm
    Absolutely, you’re driving through some of the nicest scenery/areas in the country. Of course a completely biased view from someone who lives on the west coast but the Inveraray/Oban/fort William route is definitely the best :thumbsup:

We plan to be in Inverness by that time too. A nice easy run up and settled in early for the next day

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

RvsBmw

Route planning

Post by RvsBmw » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:57 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:00 am I’ll need to have a look at this as I’ve been struggling to find something user friendly for planning the route for our proposed European trip next year
      Just finished a 4000km road trip in Swiss/Italia. Google Maps its very user friendly and you can make the route on your desktop for each day. When finished you send it by SMS or mail to your phone :).
      BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Route planning

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 am

RvsBmw wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:57 am
      Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:00 am I’ll need to have a look at this as I’ve been struggling to find something user friendly for planning the route for our proposed European trip next year
      Just finished a 4000km road trip in Swiss/Italia. Google Maps its very user friendly and you can make the route on your desktop for each day. When finished you send it by SMS or mail to your phone :).
      I’ll need to sit down and get to grips with these things. I normally have a rough idea where I’m going and Sat Nav helps when I’m stuck. Being able to send it to the car/phone is really what I’m looking for :thumbsup:

idej_z4

Route planning

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:22 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 am
        RvsBmw wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:57 am
        I’ll need to sit down and get to grips with these things. I normally have a rough idea where I’m going and Sat Nav helps when I’m stuck. Being able to send it to the car/phone is really what I’m looking for :thumbsup:
        The only problem I have found is that Google Maps only allows you to plot so many waypoints. If you're doing a very bespoke route then you need to split into multiples. Here is an example of one I've done for next week whilst we're away in Shropshire (which does mean Andy we're not coming up your way this year, we both had Covid really bad so just wanted something closer where we can relax and do nowt for a week...well, apart from one epic drive :wink: ).

https://goo.gl/maps/vnPsKAuRRAQKcdiU7

https://goo.gl/maps/awYk6UQr74shW7UL9

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Route planning

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:30 am

idej_z4 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:22 am
        Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 am
        RvsBmw wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:57 am Just finished a 4000km road trip in Swiss/Italia. Google Maps its very user friendly and you can make the route on your desktop for each day. When finished you send it by SMS or mail to your phone :).
        The only problem I have found is that Google Maps only allows you to plot so many waypoints. If you're doing a very bespoke route then you need to split into multiples. Here is an example of one I've done for next week whilst we're away in Shropshire (which does mean Andy we're not coming up your way this year, we both had Covid really bad so just wanted something closer where we can relax and do nowt for a week...well, apart from one epic drive :wink: ).

Dan, that’s what I found on my first, and admittedly very limited, attempt at route planning via Google maps/AA/RAC etc whereas the one Chippie mentioned at the start you don’t have to enter via point just drag the route :thumbsup: I know what you mean about multiple routes as that was the only way I could see of doing it. The nights are getting darker so I’ll have more time to play around with the options and school myself.

That’s a bugger about next week, we’ll just need to sort something out for next time. I hope you both enjoy Shropshire, but it’s nicer up here :poke: :rofl:

idej_z4

Route planning

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:02 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:30 am
          idej_z4 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:22 am
          Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 am I’ll need to sit down and get to grips with these things. I normally have a rough idea where I’m going and Sat Nav helps when I’m stuck. Being able to send it to the car/phone is really what I’m looking for :thumbsup:

Dan, that’s what I found on my first, and admittedly very limited, attempt at route planning via Google maps/AA/RAC etc whereas the one Chippie mentioned at the start you don’t have to enter via point just drag the route :thumbsup: I know what you mean about multiple routes as that was the only way I could see of doing it. The nights are getting darker so I’ll have more time to play around with the options and school myself.

That’s a bugger about next week, we’ll just need to sort something out for next time. I hope you both enjoy Shropshire, but it’s nicer up here :poke: :rofl:
          Defo will be up next year Andy....im already starting to plan. Might pick your brains actually and get some tips on where to visit outside of the usual stuff.

Gutted not to be coming back tbh. Shropshire (or even the Brecons where my drive is taking me) won't be a patch on your local haunts, having my own hottub and sauna at the lodge we're staying at kind of helps soften the blow. :P

Argyll Andy
          Lifer
          Lifer

Route planning

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:51 pm

idej_z4 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:02 pm
          Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:30 am
          idej_z4 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:22 am The only problem I have found is that Google Maps only allows you to plot so many waypoints. If you're doing a very bespoke route then you need to split into multiples. Here is an example of one I've done for next week whilst we're away in Shropshire (which does mean Andy we're not coming up your way this year, we both had Covid really bad so just wanted something closer where we can relax and do nowt for a week...well, apart from one epic drive :wink: ).

Defo will be up next year Andy....im already starting to plan. Might pick your brains actually and get some tips on where to visit outside of the usual stuff.

Gutted not to be coming back tbh. Shropshire (or even the Brecons where my drive is taking me) won't be a patch on your local haunts, having my own hottub and sauna at the lodge we're staying at kind of helps soften the blow. :P
          Just give me a shout when you want to discuss, I’m sure we’ll come up with something :thumbsup:

I can understand that, I’ll post lots of pictures so you can see what you’re missing :poke: :lol:

The hot tub and sauna will also keep the Mrs happier too :D

inkey$
            Lifer
            Lifer

Route planning

Post by inkey$ » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:40 pm

Problem Ive always found with these maps and apps is that - with Google Maps for instance.- is that it doesn't set waypoints, just stops. You have to start each ‘stage’ once you reach it.
            Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
            Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

idej_z4

Route planning

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:10 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:40 pm Problem Ive always found with these maps and apps is that - with Google Maps for instance.- is that it doesn't set waypoints, just stops. You have to start each ‘stage’ once you reach it.
            Another good point and one that annoys the hell out of me when doing the routes!