Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Opinions ref. passport 6 month validity?

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Bunnyboileravoider

Post by Bunnyboileravoider » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:56 pm

I was about to book my ferry for Thursday (road trip), and then checked my passport's expiration date. It's 05 Jan 2022 - i.e. a week past the 6 month remaining validity period.

So the question is simple: would you...? Or wouldn't you, take the chance?

Official sites send off warning flares and sirens - whoop, whoop, alert, alert etc. - but I'm rolling my eyes. Would 'most people' (in this case, I'm asking you, my online Z4 forum friends), think it's irresponsible to go ahead knowing the above? Or am I overthinking it? In full disclosure, I have got a bit of a history for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I just can't see this one as being a real issue...is it?

FWIW, travelling solo over 20 days through France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia/Herz, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Czech, DE, NL, Belgium.
You only live twice. I'm on my 2nd.

Toys: (Audi Q7 2018, BMW Z4 2006, Ferrari 348 Spider 1994, Le Mans Noble 1971)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:03 pm

The way the French hate the English, I'd not risk it...as you may get to the immigration desk at the ferry port and be turned away.

Also, whilst you've forgotten about the latest passport restrictions, have you also forgotten to check anything else"
  • Have you made sure you can drive into/through each of the countries you're visiting?
  • Have you checked every local restriction?
  • Are you planning to spend a week in each location and get multiple PCR tests to prove you're 'clean'?
  • Have you got your PHYSICAL COVID passport/certificate (the app version is not enough in some cases)?
  • Have you got all the required emissions 'vignettes' for each country/town?
  • have you got your new UK (not GB) sticker for the car?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:24 pm

Mmm is correct, You are at the mercy of passport control of the country you are entering as most of them set a 6 month limit, you may get a guy who just looks at your pic and ushers you through , or a miserable jobsworth who will put you on the first boat back or refuse entry..not worth the risk
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Makes you ask why have a passport valid for 10 years, when it is effectively only valid for 9.5. :roll:

Yet another way of squeezing a little more money out of each of us and employing all those lovely civil servants. :wink:

Bunnyboileravoider

Post by Bunnyboileravoider » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Brilliant comments (unsurprisingly, in this forum I've come to realise). Thank you.

I think you're all correct. And like I say, I do have a track record. The Daily Mail said a few years back: "no-one will go on holiday with this guy"... :cry:

You've confirmed what I thought (but didn't want to acknowledge), i.e. 'petit policier' en France + bent Bratislava border force + me = opportunity for aggro., which I can avoid rather than tempt.

Thanks all of you. :headbang:

Bunnyboileravoider

Post by Bunnyboileravoider » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:52 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:03 pm The way the French hate the English, I'd not risk it...as you may get to the immigration desk at the ferry port and be turned away.

Also, whilst you've forgotten about the latest passport restrictions, have you also forgotten to check anything else"
  • Have you made sure you can drive into/through each of the countries you're visiting?
  • Have you checked every local restriction?
  • Are you planning to spend a week in each location and get multiple PCR tests to prove you're 'clean'?
  • Have you got your PHYSICAL COVID passport/certificate (the app version is not enough in some cases)?
  • Have you got all the required emissions 'vignettes' for each country/town?
  • have you got your new UK (not GB) sticker for the car?
PS - thanks mmm-five. Most of these I've checked off as 'complete', but the one about UK and not GB is new to me! FFS - back to the admin. exploiters on Amazon :rofl: Cheers

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... k-version/

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:44 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:03 pm
[*]have you got your new UK (not GB) sticker for the car?[/list]
That was a new one for me :rofl:

Fortunately, with my European passport they feel sorry for me driving a UK car :lol:

Have allocated enough time to collect my European vaccine passport as well, that way I can travel between all contries without any PCR tests.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo