Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mull of Kintyre Weekend May 8th/9th 2021 Gate now closed

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Pbondar

Mull of Kintyre Weekend May 8th/9th 2021 Gate now closed

Post by Pbondar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Back again by popular demand..

Starting near Loch Lomond, finishing south west of Glasgow

Made famous by Paul McCartney, the Mull of Kintyre rests on a quiet peninsula, surrounded by several islands. The weekend combines spectacular and remote scenery with island hopping around the inner islands close to the Clyde coast.

Roads tend to be smaller and average speeds lower than on other trips but the views and scenery compensate for this. With a few ferries this is a weekend of bursts of driving interspersed with reflection with ferries and crossings. The route avoids the busiest of the tourist routes where possible.
67941609_2298354753594871_710447131890024448_o.jpg
67941609_2298354753594871_710447131890024448_o.jpg (206.8 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
https://www.wildaboutargyll.co.uk/desti ... a/kintyre/

Accommodation is planned for a coastal hotel situated near Tarbert for the Saturday night.

Its planned to start about 9:00 am and finish 5:00 pm each day with somewhere around 100-150 miles driving per day.

A WhatsApp group will be set up for each run to allow pre run co-ordination and on the day(s) any short notice issues/emergencies etc, so you will need a smartphone with WhatsApp.
Last edited by Pbondar on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Pbondar

Mull of Kintyre Weekend May 8th/9th 2021 Hotels now being booked!

Post by Pbondar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:03 pm

New expressions of interest

1 Peter B aka PBondar Yellow E89 no pax
2 Martin P aka Martin Palmer Silver E85 pax
3 Nick W aka Cerbera Silver E89 pax
4 Jay D aka James Ditchy Silver E85 no pax
5 Andy M aka Argyll Andy Orange E89 pax
7 Maurice W aka Alien Zed Silver E85 pax
8 Wullie aka FlyingFifer Blue E86 no pax
9 Graham C aka Grey E89 pax

Old expressions of interest

1 Peter B Yellow E89
2 Martin P Silver E85
3 Nick W Black E89
4 Jay Di Silver E85
5 Graham Cranston ??
6 Andy McDonald Orange E89
7 Maurice Wilkinson
8 Wullie

Old expressions of interest have been frozen. People need to re-register their interest as COVID related impacts caused people to change plans.
Last edited by Pbondar on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Mull of Kintyre / Argyll and Bute Weekend April 10th/11th 2021 (New improved version)

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Peter as previously stated I will be attending part of this and will be staying in Tarbert with Kathleen so if numbers hit the max and if anyone else shows an interest on attending the whole event bump my name off and I’ll just join the driving sections :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Mull of Kintyre / Argyll and Bute Weekend April 10th/11th 2021 (New improved version)

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm interested dependant on the whole covid situation :thumbsup:
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

martinrpalmer

Post by martinrpalmer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Peter,
    We're interested, though Gill may not be able to come if we're looking after Granddaughter as it's the end of our School Holidays.

Martin Palmer Silver E85 2.5si Sport

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:48 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:39 pm I'm interested dependant on the whole covid situation :thumbsup:
    School holidays, result and my home territory too :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:55 pm

martinrpalmer wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:44 pm Peter,
      We're interested, though Gill may not be able to come if we're looking after Granddaughter as it's the end of our School Holidays.

Martin Palmer Silver E85 2.5si Sport
      Martin, all noted thnx..added now :thumbsup:

patriot66
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi Peter. Please put Alison and I down for this as a probable for the time being. Will confirm for definite a bit nearer the time :thumbsup:
      Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm Peter as previously stated I will be attending part of this and will be staying in Tarbert with Kathleen so if numbers hit the max and if anyone else shows an interest on attending the whole event bump my name off and I’ll just join the driving sections :thumbsup:
      Andy, that's all noted, thnx, given your locality and 'residential status' I'm sure we can make it work with you as the 13th man if required! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:51 pm

patriot66 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:08 pm Hi Peter. Please put Alison and I down for this as a probable for the time being. Will confirm for definite a bit nearer the time :thumbsup:
      Hi Simon, will do.. :driving:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:34 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:39 pm I'm interested dependant on the whole covid situation :thumbsup:
      Hello, yes I've added you to the list could you pm me please with your full name/car details and contact details pls thnx :thumbsup:

Ref COVID and I guess this will come up a lot we've got a sort of policy/logic statement (you wouldn''t expect anything else)

The Scottish Goverment has had, for a relatively long time, a logical and consistent methodology for categorising infection risk and likely impact along with a geographical structure allied to 5 tiers. This does allow one to see the trend vector and to a degree predict (in the next few weeks) where each part of Scotland will be tier wise.

What we have done over the autumn is organise a number of outings privately to see how best we can organise runs against this tiered structure.

So we have a logic and methodology which we can scale and re-organise based on predicted and actual tiers.

We've gone out of our way to plan all our events so far to be in areas that are mostly currently Tier 1 (Tier 0 being the lowest) and a few currently at Tier 2. we are allowed for the purposes of transit to go through Tier 3 and higher areas. We may have to adjust the start /finish postitions to avoid any infringements.

We took a policy of trying to adhere both to the intent and spirit of regulations so we won't be into exploiting 'Scotch Egg' type loopholes.

So looking forward, in part, that's why we are limiting numbers and especially cars (as under most rules two people from the same household count as a unit for most constraints), as we can only manage so many people in so many public areas based on the fact that 2 households can buddy up for a trip, so 12 cars can be 24 people max, 4 in each unit, so 6 tables for meals etc etc..

What we are also doing is booking accomodation through Booking.com where most places can be booked with a COVID related cancellation upto 24 hours before arrival (48-72 hours at worst).

So we are planning to make events happen, almost come what may,in areas that have had a sustained low level of infection against a pragamtic backdrop of flexibility as dictated by then current circumstances. :driving:

Obviously its up to each person to decide whether they can/should/want to do a trip and that circumstances can change so that a commitment today does not compell a person to participate and/or lose money if the cancel.

The two key variables are the public's willingness to continue to embrace the restrictions (which causes a deterioation in oulook) versus the progressive impact of vaccination over time.

So trips earlier in 2021 will be more skewed by the former variable, later on the effect of widespead vaccinations will have a major impact. :tumbleweed:

Long explanation..here is a simple graphic and links to current Scottish tier-ing and which areas are in which tiers..I couldn't find an update map which would have made it easier to assimilate. :thumbsup:
      large-51705-13f84c88-25f1-434b-873d-77c99cf11992.jpeg
      large-51705-13f84c88-25f1-434b-873d-77c99cf11992.jpeg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-55233950

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54659056

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 pm

This trip's WhatsAPP group has been created and all but Mr Tourette invited to the group (I think)

A conversation on hotel bookings has been started with a view to confirming hotels in early January.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:42 pm

Hello everyone..I know it seems a perverse time to suggest booking holidays..

However..whereas we've postponed till later in the year the first trip we had planned to D+G in March, there seems to be a possibility that hotels MAY be opened after Easter...

The issues are that, not surprisingly, several hotels are currently closed, only a few are open, my concern in trying to book a trip for a larger group is that once the 'floodgates' have been opened, is that staycation Scotland may well be full!

To that end I've spent a bit of time looking at options..the main hotel is one we did not stay in, but we stayed in its down market sister in 2019...

There is free cancellation till 7th April 2021..therefore I suggest despite the potential improbabilities that you book if you have the remotest view that you will attempt if your are allowed to travel and the area is open.

There are two other accomodation options near by so pm me if you are interested in booking any of the three we have identified!

We plan to start at aound 9am on Saturday the 10th April from a point near Glasgow Airport and finish close to that point!

A few of us have now booked hotels..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 pm

Following on from both UK Government and Scottish Government recent statements on their strategic Covid-19 frameworks this run has been deferred till later in 2021.

We’ll give at least 4 weeks notice of any revised date.

As they say ‘ factors beyond our control’...

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 pm Following on from both UK Government and Scottish Government recent statements on their strategic Covid-19 frameworks this run has been deferred till later in 2021.

We’ll give at least 4 weeks notice of any revised date.

As they say ‘ factors beyond our control’...
      Thanks for the info and effort Peter. Hopefully we can get out in the not to distant future. Keep us posted :thumbsup: