Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CANCELLED: Wild Atlantic Run 2020 - 1st edition

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Attilio

Wild Atlantic Run 2020 - 1st edition

Post by Attilio » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Seanoog wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 pm I only just came across this Wild Atlantic Run thread, this morning. Such a shame that the Coronavirus is so negatively affecting travel, social interaction and business.

As a local to the area, I too would love the chance to meet, and drive with some of you's. As I havent yet had reason to drive near the cliffs of Cork, or West side of Ireland, this would be a perfect opportunity.

Attilio, if you are for rescheduling, in August or September, or next year, please let me know.
Hopefully the country and businesses will all be back to normal. And in the mean time we all get through this down turn, and public health crisis together, with minimal disruption and loss of life.
Drive safe everyone. :driving:
Hello Seanoog,

yes, let's hope the situation will improve soon and that there will be minimal impact.

Although I am reluctant to cancel it at this point in time (as explained above maybe the situation will improve soon?) it is likely that it will be re-scheduled. Of course I will post an update but will also contact you should I be on my way West as I have family there and always enjoy driving around the south west of our country.

Take care and be safe

Attilio
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Attilio wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:08 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 am I'm assuming this is now offically (at least in the format that was proposed) is a dead parrot?
Hello Peter,

first of all thanks for your PM.

I am unsure whether to call it off or not as people have already spent money on their ferry tickets etc. and maybe the situation will improve by mid-May to make travel possible...

A
Hi Attilio, unfortunately I can’t see this improving by mid May. As much as I and everyone else would like it too.
Regarding the ferry bookings, Irish ferries will charge 25% cancellation fee with 42 days notice this percentage increases the closer to the sailing date it gets. If the date is amended they will charge £20.00 admin fee plus maybe a slight increase in fare, so if you decide to postpone the run until later in the year that would appear to be the better option ferry cost wise.
I don’t envy your position with this, but we are both looking forward to coming over.
All the best
Tim
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm

I also can’t see the situation improving, I paid a little extra with the ferry and hotel so I can cancel or rebook up to 24 hours before, so I will wait until nearer the time and go with whatever Attilio decides to do
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 am I'm assuming this is now offically (at least in the format that was proposed) is a dead parrot?
Hello Peter,

I am unsure whether to call it off or not as people have already spent money on their ferry tickets etc. and maybe the situation will improve by mid-May to make travel possible...

A
Hi Attilio, the only reason I was 'forcing' this issue is that in many cases there is a sliding cancellation policy so the longer you leave it the less money is refunded. Contrarily if goverment action dictates mandatory closure of travel/hotels/eating facilties people's insurance may then pay out. In some cases this comes later than you otherwise made a decision to cancel.

I think everyone wishes this situation would resolve itself for the better sooner than later.

We can all have our own thoughts on this one and we should respect this.

My personal thoughts are that we are not going to be doing 'holidays' at all in 2020 anywhere..but that's a personal view.

We could get into that subject but I don't think a public forum is the place for that discussion.. :thumbsdown:

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi Attilio,
The decision has been made for us. We are not going to be able to join you on this trip.
Yvonne has just had a message through from the NHS confirming that she is one of the people at greatest risk and has to stay in for the next 12 weeks :( .
Should you find that you are going to have to postpone this run until later in the year or whenever, could you please put our names down again automatically. We were really looking forward to this one.
All the best
Tim & Yvonne
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:05 pm

MerBrook wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:29 pm Hi Attilio,
The decision has been made for us. We are not going to be able to join you on this trip.
Yvonne has just had a message through from the NHS confirming that she is one of the people at greatest risk and has to stay in for the next 12 weeks :( .
Should you find that you are going to have to postpone this run until later in the year or whenever, could you please put our names down again automatically. We were really looking forward to this one.
All the best
Tim & Yvonne
Hello Tim,

I am sorry to hear but in fact this event is unlikely to go ahead on the original dates: it is likely that Ireland will go into shutdown - or rather it is likely that hotels will be closed. Restaurants are already closed here in Dublin and it may also be the case in the rest of the country.

It is nice to hear that you would like to attend if the event is re-scheduled. I am keen myself to have the event on another date - perhaps September. Let's weather this storm and see what are the options available to us.

in the meantime, let's enjoy our Z4s, the company of our family members and keep in touch through this Forum.

A big shout to Yvonne and all the front line health workers, send he our regards.

Stay safe and speak soon
Attilio
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:10 pm
Hello Peter,

A
Hi Attilio, the only reason I was 'forcing' this issue is that in many cases there is a sliding cancellation policy so the longer you leave it the less money is refunded. Contrarily if goverment action dictates mandatory closure of travel/hotels/eating facilties people's insurance may then pay out. In some cases this comes later than you otherwise made a decision to cancel.

I think everyone wishes this situation would resolve itself for the better sooner than later.

We can all have our own thoughts on this one and we should respect this.

My personal thoughts are that we are not going to be doing 'holidays' at all in 2020 anywhere..but that's a personal view.

We could get into that subject but I don't think a public forum is the place for that discussion.. :thumbsdown:
Hello Peter,

I think you are right and in light of the way things are developing / likely to develop it makes sense to call this event off and give people the chance to recoup as much as possible of what they spent for ferries etc.

I will make an official communication soon; hopefully we will be able to reconsider and pick a date at the end of the summer.

Thanks for your contribution

Keep safe
Attilio

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 am

Well we should have been leaving this morning..the ferry ride would have been wild and woolly.. :rofl:

Hope all of you are coping , with your 5Km? max journey in Eire I don’t think we would have got very far.... :thumbsdown:

Here’s hoping we can do it next year :driving:

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 am

Pbondar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 am Well we should have been leaving this morning..the ferry ride would have been wild and woolly.. :rofl:

Hope all of you are coping , with your 5Km? max journey in Eire I don’t think we would have got very far.... :thumbsdown:

Here’s hoping we can do it next year :driving:
Hey!

thanks for posting: yes, today would have also been when my nephew was scheduled to arrive in Dublin to spend some time together and help with the run.

Restrictions are still pretty severe here and it looks like they have worked well so far. I am missing driving the Z4M (still off the road, no point paying the extortionate €1,809/year road tax in the current circumstances) and also missing my open water swimming (all the good swimming spots are beyond the 5km limit).

Apart from that, all is good: I managed to "land on my feet" with a new job and health is good. Can't complain.

Hope you and family are safe and well and a big shout to your wife for helping people in these tough conditions.

Hopefully next year we will have the chance to make the first Irish Run happen.

All the best
Attilio

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Attilio wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 pm Hello all,

I think the most sensible thing to do at this point in time, considering the uncertainty of the situation and how long travel restrictions between our two countries will be in place and also considering that hotels, restaurants and pubs are likely to be closed for a while, it makes sense to cancel this event.

I hope all of you who already paid hotels and ferry tickets can recoup the sums committed...

I want to thank you all for the interest and enthusiasm in participating you showed and I will do my best to re-schedule to a date, most likely in September. I think in the next while it will be clearer whether that is a possibility.

Do reach out and - in case things improve rapidly and you feel like venturing across the Irish sea - I will be happy to meet you and be your guide and share some of the amazing roads (and scenery) together.

All the best
Attilio
Hi Attilio
Just wondering if you have any plans for rescheduling this for 2022 ?
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Hello Chippie!

Thanks for your message! Hope all is well.

Yes, the idea is to organise it for 2022. I drove some of the planned itinerary this summer and I came up with some improvements too.

I will start working on it in a month or two to finalise the itinerary and send out a survey to see how many days people prefer it to last and adjust the route accordingly.

Watch this space!
A

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi Attilio, do you have any idea when you’d be looking to do this next year?

Depending on dates we’d be very interested. A part of the world we’ve never visited and would like to see.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

craig3.2
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:43 pm

Looking forward to doing this at some point next year.
    Attillio is a nice chap,and looking forward to catching up again,and driving in Ireland in my z for the first time :driving: :thumbsup:
    Should be a good one :D
    Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
    Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:20 pm

Attilio wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:59 pm Hello Chippie!

Thanks for your message! Hope all is well.

Yes, the idea is to organise it for 2022. I drove some of the planned itinerary this summer and I came up with some improvements too.

I will start working on it in a month or two to finalise the itinerary and send out a survey to see how many days people prefer it to last and adjust the route accordingly.

Watch this space!
    A
    Hey Atillio, long time no see. Me n Ally will be 100% up for this. Once details are confirmed let me know and we will book our ferry 👍

patriot66
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Hi Attilio. Hope you are well. I'd still be very interested in attending this in 2022 dependent on when, duration, cost etc :thumbsup:
    Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !