Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trackday

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:32 pm

Has anyone done one with a standard e89?
I quite like the idea of a bit of track time to get a better feel of the car without the worry of a ticket or the chance of bumping into a horse off of a blind bend.

I'm not out to be a track God, or drive the car to within an inch of its life, I just want to get a better feel of the cars/my potential.

Msv have a sort of open track day type thing at the end of April at Brands Indy, its about £200 entry level for the day. Car is currently on runflats, (I know) and rear pads have approx. 2500 miles left in them. I've already bought new pads and discs for the car and am pricing up new tyres to replace the runflat rubbish.

I'm thinking of the track day on the old kit as listed, then swap and change it all over after the track day is done, good or bad idea?

brillomaster

Trackday

Post by brillomaster » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:03 pm

sounds like a good plan to me. rear pads should be ok if you keep the temperatures under control - its the fronts that do the majority of the work, so make sure they have plenty of material, and that your brake fluid is reasonably fresh and topped up.

most important thing for me when tracking a standard car is temperature management - keep stints short, be sure to do a warm up and cool down lap at the end of every session, and if you start to get an inkling of tyres overheating and losing grip or brakes losing effectiveness, come in to the pits.

Also if you're new to the whole thing then build the speed up slowly throughout the day - focus on your lines and being smooth rather than balls-out hot laps.

NickDE

Trackday

Post by NickDE » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 pm

Try one of the BMW Car Club trackdays. Well run, good driving standards, and free instructors (get there early to get a good instructor slot though).
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Trackday

Post by mmm-five » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:23 pm

NickDE wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 pm Try one of the BMW Car Club trackdays. Well run, good driving standards, and free instructors (get there early to get a good instructor slot though).
Definitely!

I had Tim Harvey come out with me at Oulton Park, but the only suggestion I had out of him was to reduce the N/S tyre pressure by 0.5 PSI.

I don't know if that had anything to do with driving through Island with my 2 inside wheels over the grass or not though :oops:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

NickDE

Trackday

Post by NickDE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:23 pm
NickDE wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 pm Try one of the BMW Car Club trackdays. Well run, good driving standards, and free instructors (get there early to get a good instructor slot though).
Definitely!

I had Tim Harvey come out with me at Oulton Park, but the only suggestion I had out of him was to reduce the N/S tyre pressure by 0.5 PSI.

I don't know if that had anything to do with driving through Island with my 2 inside wheels over the grass or not though :oops:
I had my 2 inside wheels on the grass after Rocket at Anglesey on Saturday. I blame the rain, nothing to do with over enthusiastic driving :oops:
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Trackday

Post by mmm-five » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:43 am

NickDE wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 pm I had my 2 inside wheels on the grass after Rocket at Anglesey on Saturday. I blame the rain, nothing to do with over enthusiastic driving :oops:
Anglesey used to be one of my regular marshalling tracks - as we could camp from Friday night to Sunday/Monday.

Had one episode at the marshal's post at Rocket In - where the Saxo Juniors (14 year olds) were 3 abreast coming up through the kink to the rise in the pouring rain.

One must have dinked the other to try to get a better braking/turning spot as the next thing we know, there are 2 Saxos coming straight at us! We thought they were coming straight at the tyres, so obviously moved to the left & right of the concrete shelter, but at the last minute they separated...one went one side of the post, the other went the other. Unfortunately that was now where the marshals had taken refuge.

I'm sure I've still got the tyre marks on my toe-caps :P

I was on Pit In when the infamous flying Legends were there about 10 years ago...
Trigger’s Z4MC

chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Thanks all for the info and tips :thumbsup:

chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:42 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:23 pm
Definitely!

Hello again, just double checking is this the
bmwcarclubgb ?

just looking at their website now, and wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right one before joining.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Trackday

Post by mmm-five » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:53 pm

chilistrucker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:42 pm Hello again, just double checking is this the
bmwcarclubgb ?

just looking at their website now, and wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right one before joining.
Yes...http://www.bmwcarclubgb.uk
Trigger’s Z4MC

R60BBA

Trackday

Post by R60BBA » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Agreed. Not to mention less traffic.

OP - in regards to the E89 itself, it’s quite heavy and so I would recommend a brake upgrade.

It depends on your budget, but you should swap out the pads for a set of fast road/track pads as a starting point.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 pm

R60BBA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:06 pm

OP - in regards to the E89 itself, it’s quite heavy and so I would recommend a brake upgrade.

It depends on your budget, but you should swap out the pads for a set of fast road/track pads as a starting point.
Thanks again. I had a quick look at the site and looks good :thumbsup:

Yeah they are a heavy car, the pads currently on the car have 5000 left on the front, 2500 on the rear, plus the rubbish runflats. I was looking at doing a track day on this setup , (more as a spirited drive to get a feel for the car) and then bin the lot for new and improved with a view to doing another track day later in the year.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Trackday

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm

chilistrucker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 pm
R60BBA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Yeah they are a heavy car, the pads currently on the car have 5000 left on the front, 2500 on the rear, plus the rubbish runflats. I was looking at doing a track day on this setup , (more as a spirited drive to get a feel for the car) and then bin the lot for new and improved with a view to doing another track day later in the year.
A fine plan,. Just be sure not to completely cook them, sudden brake fade on an nfarmilear track, can be, shall we say interesting. Also don't use the parking brake after a session, or you could damage both your pads and discs. :wink: Enjoy :driving: :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Trackday

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:15 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm
chilistrucker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 pm
R60BBA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:06 pm Agreed. Not to mention less traffic.

A fine plan,. Just be sure not to completely cook them, sudden brake fade on an unfarmilear track, can be, shall we say interesting. Also don't use the parking brake after a session, or you could damage both your pads and discs. :wink: Enjoy :driving: :thumbsup:

chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am

Cheers buzyg :thumbsup:
Being a novice, (and an over thinker) I'll be extra cautious. I remember when I did a day a few years back at Bedford they told us not to put the parking brake on when we came in, in fact the tips and tuition were all spot on. Out lap, in lap etc, etc and an instructor came out with me and gave me some excellent advice and pointers.

I had a look on the BMW car club site and they have a track day on at Cadwell Park near the end of April when I am off. My brother in law races bikes and said I may find it a bit narrow and twisty, and its approx. 3 and a 1/2 too 4 hours from me, he suggests Donnington, Brands or Snetterton. I like Donny and Brands and have an xbox type knowledge of both, and visit Brands a fair bit anyway in the real world. Donny is approx. 2 and a 1/2 hours from me, Brands is 30 minutes.
Both are available, but Brands is the Indy circuit on the day available so a lot of turning right :lol: but would it be worth it for that drop into paddock hill bend?

Snetterton is only 1 and a half hours from me, also available but I have pretty much no knowledge of the track other than a quick 5 minute look on youtube. It looks ideal, (I think) so that and Brands are probably the front runners.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Trackday

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 am

The parking brake tip is a old, but good one...if your car had a pad based parking brake as the heat transfers through the pad, into the fluid and overheats it.

It’s not as much of an issue with the Z4 though as we have a parking shoe, that doesn’t interact with the brake fluid...but our risk is that shoe clamps onto the hub :P

BTW, unexpected brake fail on a ‘familiar’ track is not nice either, or when you hit someone else’s fluids in the braking zone or fast corner.
Trigger’s Z4MC