Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trackday

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:48 am

They are cracking cars, I did consider getting another but as mentioned the nice ones are commanding more and more money these days, hence the reason I ended up with the Z4 :D

chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:09 am

Re lids, I've been having a nose online and there are 2 motorbike places near me that both have a decent range of sub £100 lids which is handy. There is a choice of full face, open face and flip up lids. I know its going to be down to personal preference but is there anything I should know other than just picking the one that looks good?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Trackday

Post by mmm-five » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 am

Motorbike helmets (type b) are constructed differently to car helmets, so I'd buy a car-specific one (type a). Mainly due to the car ones needing to be (more) fire-resistant than a bike one as you're less likely to be stuck, upside-down in a bike fire.

Most track day organisers will not specifically check, but some will, and you may find they'll tell you to go and rent one from race control/sign-on.

Also check what they specify for convertibles - as some will only allow open-face in tin-tops, and I don't know what they'll class the e89 as.

Best of both worlds - if like me, you don't want a sweaty full face one - is either a rally style one with a chin guard & peak, or a full face one with the visor removed.

Mine's the older version of this...which was about £60.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

brillomaster

Trackday

Post by brillomaster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Full face helmet for an open top car is what all the organisers i use say. I wouldnt chance it with anything less.

If youre worried about a sweaty lid, get a balaclava to wear underneath it.

chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks again, and as mentioned it does seem that full face is the requirement for an 'open top' car. I'm ok with that, so if they are out there, (I'm sure they are) I'll go for the type A helmet, full face with an adjustable visor :thumbsup:

chilistrucker

Trackday

Post by chilistrucker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm

chilistrucker wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 pm Thanks again, and as mentioned it does seem that full face is the requirement for an 'open top' car. I'm ok with that, so if they are out there, (I'm sure they are) I'll go for the type A helmet, full face with an adjustable visor :thumbsup:
ced
Just spoke with MSV and although it does have to be a full face lid, they are fine with either car or motorbike variations, I just have to decide now if I'm going to do Snetterton or Bedford.....

Lazza

Trackday

Post by Lazza » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 pm

I’ve done quite a few track days at Bedford, Silverstone Stowe, Goodwood, Donnington, Brands, Anglesey, Knockhill, Castle Coombe, Mallory, Blyton Park, Abingdon, South Weald... and others. Always used a motorbike helmet and never had a problem. I did pick one marked as being fireproof but it has never been checked. Some operators like the visor to be down but I prefer to remove it whenever I can.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire