Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Android iDrive Screen Group Buy - NOW CLOSED

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
AnubisZed

E89 Android iDrive Screem Group Buy

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Left hand drive must be different slightly to right hand drive.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

vld

Post by vld » Wed May 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I just powered the unit up for the first time. For testing for now, I still have to put everything back. But wow, I'm getting super excited. It looks fabulous. Especially compared to this... thing, I had until now:

I was surprised by a very interesting, yet very positive, thing. I have sound, via AUX, without the AUX cable plugged in.
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu May 09, 2019 11:06 am

vld wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:55 pm ….
I was surprised by a very interesting, yet very positive, thing. I have sound, via AUX, without the AUX cable plugged in.
Yeah I noticed this when I put mine in but I wasn't sure what effect it would have on it so I still used the AUX cable anyway.
Dave

vld

Post by vld » Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 pm

All done! You can mark me as "Arrived and fitted" Dave :D Thank you for organizing the group buy and helping with the process. And thank you for the guide!

Things I'm very excited about:
- It looks awesome! The screen has good resolution and good brightness, and the main interface is very pretty.
- Bluetooth music from my phone with controls on the steering (Audio quality seems to be somewhere between AUX and radio - it's ok for my needs)
- Visual radar for the parking sensor! I now know if the obstacles are on the left or on the right :D

Things that are less awesome:
- No iDrive controller button for directly playing MP3 music (Most buttons turn the screen black with "No signal", including "Media" which I would kind of expect to do just that.)
- The buttons on the iDrive controller don't always register the press. You need to press the buttons with a bit of extra pressure, otherwise they just click and no reaction.
- The "Menu" button needs to be held for a second or two to actually work for most screens.
- The "Back" button would have been nice to be mapped to the Android back button. It is useless outside the main menu.
- No option for customizing the interface options. I would have liked to remove a few: like "Video", "DVR", etc. or at least move them around so I put on the main screen the ones I use more often.
- WiFi doesn't support 5Ghz only 2.4 and the range is not fantastic. Can't get signal from my carport :( I will have to improve the signal from inside the home, or find a good way of getting Internet from my phone (via USB doesn't seem to work, nor via Bluetooth and I don't want to always keep a WiFi hotspot on my phone)
- A small but irritating one: a piece of the screen protection wrap got stuck in a corner and can't get it out. (tip for new installs: carefully remove the screen protection, or better yet do it before finishing the install, in case it doesn't come off entirely)
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

vld

Post by vld » Thu May 09, 2019 4:07 pm

A couple of tips:

1. The GPS antenna actually has room between the center speaker placeholder and the cover. Make a hole to feed the plug and cable through.

2. You can have the two USB cables in the glove box, through the whole on the side:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu May 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Nice install and good tips :thumbsup:
As for "No Signal" go back a couple of pages and I've shown some screenshots.
Go to settings, More Settings...

Then scroll down to BMW Car Original Video Display...

And tick Old BMW X1
Dave

Gary Petit

Post by Gary Petit » Fri May 10, 2019 11:32 am

vld wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 pm A small but irritating one: a piece of the screen protection wrap got stuck in a corner and can't get it out. (tip for new installs: carefully remove the screen protection, or better yet do it before finishing the install, in case it doesn't come off entirely
If you tilt the screen forward, it will release from the base and you can pull the screen out of the base entirely. This should allow you to remove the remaining plastic.

vld

Post by vld » Fri May 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Gary Petit wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:32 am If you tilt the screen forward, it will release from the base and you can pull the screen out of the base entirely. This should allow you to remove the remaining plastic.
Wow, didn't know one can do that :D Thanks!

mwhite88

Post by mwhite88 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Think I damaged my start/stop button when pulling the connector out , pretty sure I could press the button once and the engine would cut off before now I have to hold it down for a few seconds, pressing it once doesn’t do anything but the Rev counter moves sounds like it try’s to cut off

vld

Post by vld » Fri May 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Gary Petit wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:32 am If you tilt the screen forward, it will release from the base and you can pull the screen out of the base entirely. This should allow you to remove the remaining plastic.
I tried, but couldn't move it. I tried with quite a bit of force. It feel like if I try harder I will break the whole thing. Thanks for the tip, but I'm not going to risk it, I can live with the piece of plastic in the corner :)

About the iDrive fake controller.. After playing a bit more with it today, I concluded it's total junk. If anybody ordered the head unit without the controller, let me know, I will sell you my controller cheap.
But do know that the buttons are the worst I've ever seen. I have to literally smash them to be sure they will work. The only thing that registers every time is the knob twisting.
You can't even go through the list of contacts in the bluetooth to select one to call. Can't even answer a call with it. Can't start music from it. Even when the buttons work, it's useless garbage, you will be using the touch screen 99% of the time. It just looks pretty.
I will probably remove it, to get the little storage tray back, as that was more useful :)

Gary Petit

Post by Gary Petit » Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 pm

vld wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:51 pmI tried, but couldn't move it. I tried with quite a bit of force. It feel like if I try harder I will break the whole thing. Thanks for the tip, but I'm not going to risk it
Mine comes out easily so I took a closer look. The screen fits into two slots on the back. You should be able to pull straight up and THEN tilt forward to remove.
15575198959351584832043285283069.jpg
15575198959351584832043285283069.jpg (139.15 KiB) Viewed 3792 times

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 pm

There is a security sticker on the back that if you break then you will void any warranty.
I do not recommend pulling the screen out like this. :?
Dave

vld

Post by vld » Sat May 11, 2019 2:39 pm

When the sound is set to Tuner, I see that I still get sound from the Android unit for things like Google Maps, or the bluetooth calls in the left speaker, without having to change to AUX myself. This is fantastic. However, there is a nasty noise in the speaker and it sounds very bad when the Android unit is outputting any sound. During a bluetooth call, the other person can also hear the noise in the phone.
When the sound is set to AUX, everything works great.
Do you guys experience the same?

EHaryanto

Post by EHaryanto » Sun May 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Ours seems doesn't have that noise problem. Our radio tuner is always on, and when the navigation is active the output sound seems normal, I mean there is no background noise or bad noise. We haven't used a phone yet, so we not sure about it.

I have a question: is anyone having problem with Sygic i.e. unable to use the offline map?
At the moment I am having a conversation with Sygic support about the problem above, and always asking the internet connection to start using the navigation. Lately they ask about the device code, and after I gave my device code they said "Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a proper functionality on custom non-branded Android head-units and radios, as the often used heavily modified system and hardware specification and the app is designed and tested for phones and tablets".
Dave, I know you use Sygic, do you have any problem with their offline map?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 pm

EHaryanto wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:56 pm Ours seems doesn't have that noise problem. Our radio tuner is always on, and when the navigation is active the output sound seems normal, I mean there is no background noise or bad noise. We haven't used a phone yet, so we not sure about it.

I have a question: is anyone having problem with Sygic i.e. unable to use the offline map?
At the moment I am having a conversation with Sygic support about the problem above, and always asking the internet connection to start using the navigation. Lately they ask about the device code, and after I gave my device code they said "Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a proper functionality on custom non-branded Android head-units and radios, as the often used heavily modified system and hardware specification and the app is designed and tested for phones and tablets".
Dave, I know you use Sygic, do you have any problem with their offline map?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
In short I didn't get on with Sygic after a few days so I'm still deciding which is the best to use. I have Google Maps (you need an hotspot connection for live maps), Waze and CoPilot. I like Google Maps as it has a lot of features I use like traffic congestion and roadworks. I've used Waze in Malta and really liked it a lot. But I love CoPilot as I've had it years and it's totally built in with onboard mapping, with the option of live traffic (£10 per year and a hotspot connection)
Dave