Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Android iDrive Screen Group Buy - NOW CLOSED

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
sunnydays

E89 Android iDrive Screem Group Buy

Post by sunnydays » Sun May 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi guys,

how does the audio quality over Bluetooth on this unit compare to the standard I-Drive? I have read reports on different avin units saying that the quallity is not as good as standard, does this hold true?

Additionally has anyone here gone from an Idrive car -> This unit? If so how does it compare?

Thanks!

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:16 pm

sunnydays wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:09 pm Hi guys,

how does the audio quality over Bluetooth on this unit compare to the standard I-Drive? I have read reports on different avin units saying that the quallity is not as good as standard, does this hold true?

Additionally has anyone here gone from an Idrive car -> This unit? If so how does it compare?

Thanks!
Hi,

I've gone from an iDrive car to this unit and I have to say I'm still considering going back to the original iDrive. The main reason being the number of button and screen presses you have to go through to use things like DAB and Spotify. Plus when it switches from Android to iDrive the screen flickers for a bit, which is a bit naff.

It does do what I want it to (Spotify, DAB, Waze all work great on a much better screen than standard), it's just not very well integrated with the existing buttons.

EHaryanto

Post by EHaryanto » Mon May 06, 2019 4:13 am

sunnydays wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:09 pm Hi guys,

Thanks!
From memory, the sound produced via original bluetooth was always not as good as using an auxiliary or USB connection. That's why I bought a special cable for my wife iPhone that has microphone jack to go to aux jack and as well as got USB for charging hence never use bluetooth to play music from her phone. The Android multimedia unit does the same thing, sound via bluetooth is not as good as via aux. I am not sure how bad it is compared to the original bluetooth.
To be honest I did install this unit to my wife car so she can use Navigation (wasn't there when she bought it), and can make/receive calls without a phone and gps dangling on the windscreen. It's a bit pricey but looks good :). Her car is E89-2009 entry level.

Cheers,

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 am

Although I didn't have the OEM iDrive with enhanced bluetooth (streaming bluetooth music) I can honestly say that I've not noticed any difference between any of the audio inputs.
I've played music that is on memory card, via both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and also via bluetooth streaming and the quality is the same.
You have to take into account that any form of over the air streaming is only as good as the signal you are receiving on your phone which is dependent on current location.
All audio from the screen into your current headunit is via the AUX port, so that must be working properly first.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Gary Petit

Post by Gary Petit » Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 am

AnubisZed wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 amTo
How exactly do you get to these settings? Please :?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 07, 2019 7:18 am

Gary Petit wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 am
AnubisZed wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 amTo
How exactly do you get to these settings? Please :?
Gary,
Scroll through to "Settings" and then down to "More Settings" and they are the top option....
Screenshot_20190425-201007.png
Screenshot_20190425-201007.png (205.23 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Dave

mwhite88

Post by mwhite88 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:31 pm

So I had a faulty wiring harness hence sound from only the left speaker, another problem I’ve found is when using the Idrive controller when navigating the android unit it still controls the bmw menus even tho you’re on the android screen not sure if I’ve got the settings right though

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 pm

mwhite88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:31 pm.....another problem I’ve found is when using the Idrive controller when navigating the android unit it still controls the bmw menus even tho you’re on the android screen not sure if I’ve got the settings right though
Can you elaborate a little more, exactly how and in doing what? I can't say I can give you a definitive answer but I'll try.
Have you checked the settings screenshots on page 8 of this thread? Just to compare them to what you have!
Dave

mwhite88

Post by mwhite88 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:53 pm

So I had idrive already in my car, say I have it on split screen mode with the map, I go into the android mode holding down the menu button then I use the Idrive controller to navigate the menus and open apps etc, when I hold menu again and return to the original bmw mode split screens gone and it’s been navigating in the original mode also

Gary Petit

Post by Gary Petit » Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Does anyone have any issue charging their phone using the USB port from the headunit? I'm able to connect via usb and the phone looks like it's charging but sometimes I get a message on my Android phone saying I should check my power connection and the phone does not seem to charge, even after a long drive.

Also, I'm trying to get into the "Factory Settings" from the menu but it's prompting for a PIN number. Does anyone know the PIN?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Gary Petit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm Does anyone have any issue charging their phone using the USB port from the headunit? I'm able to connect via usb and the phone looks like it's charging but sometimes I get a message on my Android phone saying I should check my power connection and the phone does not seem to charge, even after a long drive.

Also, I'm trying to get into the "Factory Settings" from the menu but it's prompting for a PIN number. Does anyone know the PIN?
The output from the USB ports is not what you'd call "overly powerful" so some phones may not charge properly. Saying that mine charges my Android (large battery) and my wifes iPhone 6S + so it can't be that low powered.

As for the Factory Settings page, the pin code is 1314, but be careful what you alter in this screen, check my installation video out for more info.
Dave

vld

Post by vld » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Having a bit of a problem. The iDrive controller doesn't look like it was made for this car:

I failed to notice in your video that you hit the same problem Dave. I also looked more careful at your video and it even seems to leave around the controller in your install. I didn't manage to fit mine at all. Perhaps it would go in if I force it. But this just isn't right.
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

vld

Post by vld » Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 pm

I hope the system works with a genuine BMW iDrive controller, as I am actually thinking of trashing the Chinese one I just paid $70 on and get one that actually fits, with all 4 screws and without gaps around.
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 pm

vld wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 pm I hope the system works with a genuine BMW iDrive controller, as I am actually thinking of trashing the Chinese one I just paid $70 on and get one that actually fits, with all 4 screws and without gaps around.
It will only work with the OEM one if the full iDrive system is fitted.
The new one will go in, alas they have the fitting dimensions and should have rectified the fitting by now but I see that they still haven't. I never mentioned it in my first video due to the fact that I had a pre-market test version and assumed that the actual ones would be sorted.
To fit the new one you have to elongate the two forward holes and a couple of washers in the rear two holes will hold it firmly in place. It is a tight fit but does go in without too much trouble. :thumbsup:
Dave

vld

Post by vld » Wed May 08, 2019 9:43 pm

For the back screws, I had to put two washers on one side, because the controller wasn't resting on anything on that side:

On the front side, additional to elongating the wholes, I had to file down the edge of the plastic to make room for the peg in between. See the yellow areas:

The fit could be better, but at this point, I am fine with it: