Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Custom gear knob

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
Davz

Custom CNC machined stainless steel Gear Knob

Post by Davz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 pm

LittleZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 am Do we know what they will look like? Will it be the same as the storm? Or a different style. I'm interested.
check out the images in the for sale section. It looks very much like the stormworks in shape and style except I think better as it has Z4 engraved on the top instead of M. If the dimensions are the same, the weight will be the same. £75 or £32...its a no brainer really.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:20 pm

Davz wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 pm
LittleZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 am Do we know what they will look like? Will it be the same as the storm? Or a different style. I'm interested.
check out the images in the for sale section. It looks very much like the stormworks in shape and style except I think better as it has Z4 engraved on the top instead of M. If the dimensions are the same, the weight will be the same. £75 or £32...its a no brainer really.
Unless your peddling an ///M :poke:

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Davz wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 pm
Not exactly true. There is a certain amount of science behind the Storm Motorwerks to get the weight just right, along with the depth of the opening to allow for a very short throw. It's not just a case of cutting a ball out of steel and putting it on a stick.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:05 pm

Anyway I'm not hating, I said it was a good idea already and would be in if I didn't already have mine sorted (plus I suggested the Storm Motorwerks model... not sure if it was already settled upon beforehand though), it's just a little trivial to think/claim that if you just copy a shape then they're the same. Still, wouldn't mind a Z4 logo on mine :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Custom gear knob

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 pm

Could be interested.
What surface texture/finish are you thinking about? Would be nice to have a bright or satin polish; 1P/2P or 1K/2K maybe....
You should be able to calculate weight if you're using solid edge.
Otherwise port to solidworks and do it that way.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Buckley06

Custom gear knob

Post by Buckley06 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:25 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 pm Could be interested.
What surface texture/finish are you thinking about? Would be nice to have a bright or stain polish; 1P/2P or 1K/2K maybe....
Hi it will just be a standard turned finish, I thought about using scotch bright but I think straight off the lathe is better.

I thought the weight was shown highlighted in blue on my picture?
I only dabble in design or and tend to stay away from the physics.

If you have better use of the software I can send a STP file over and you could double check for me :D .
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

Buckley06

Post by Buckley06 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:39 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:05 pm Anyway I'm not hating, I said it was a good idea already and would be in if I didn't already have mine sorted (plus I suggested the Storm Motorwerks model... not sure if it was already settled upon beforehand though), it's just a little trivial to think/claim that if you just copy a shape then they're the same. Still, wouldn't mind a Z4 logo on mine :thumbsup:
Hey, I went with the stormweks style because of your input.
I just don't have the time or the software capability to calculate the exact weight ratio.
I have a stubby gear knob and took the sizes from that.
If you have a vernier I could do with a OD measurementand the length.
And maybe the hole for the stick to go in :wink:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Custom gear knob

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:42 pm

Buckley06 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:25 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 pm Could be interested.
What surface texture/finish are you thinking about? Would be nice to have a bright or stain polish; 1P/2P or 1K/2K maybe....
Hi it will just be a standard turned finish, I thought about using scotch bright but I think straight off the lathe is better.

I thought the weight was shown highlighted in blue on my picture?
I only dabble in design or and tend to stay away from the physics.

If you have better use of the software I can send a STP file over and you could double check for me :D .
AH see it - 605g. 100g heavier than the stormwerks knob I think (?)
Yep, sign me up plz.
Shoot me over the STEP file too plz. I'd like to run this through Rhino and V-ray to do some renders. Ta.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm

Buckley06 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:39 pm Hey, I went with the stormweks style because of your input.
I just don't have the time or the software capability to calculate the exact weight ratio.
I have a stubby gear knob and took the sizes from that.
If you have a vernier I could do with a OD measurementand the length.
And maybe the hole for the stick to go in
Yeah I understand that, my apologies I wasn't trying to belittle anything you're doing I think it's a pretty awesome thing to do for the Zed community and a good price. I'd send you my gear knob if I could be sure I'd get it back quick enough but I'm heading to Australia next Saturday and I fear it's cutting it a bit fine (not that I'll need it in Australia!).

In fact, if it's helpful to you I'm prepared to send it to you to take whatever you need from it and give an alternate address to send it back to so I have it when I return?

Buckley06

Post by Buckley06 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Maybe you could lay it next to a ruler and take a few photos.
I should be able to get plenty of info from that.

Thank you for your kind gesture though.

Have fun in aus :D :D

Davz

Post by Davz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:53 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 pm There is a certain amount of science behind the Storm Motorwerks to get the weight just right, along with the depth of the opening to allow for a very short throw. It's not just a case of cutting a ball out of steel and putting it on a stick.
Perhaps you would care to explain the science?
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Not the most scientific approach but here you go :wink:

Depth:

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Davz wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:53 pm
thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 pm There is a certain amount of science behind the Storm Motorwerks to get the weight just right, along with the depth of the opening to allow for a very short throw. It's not just a case of cutting a ball out of steel and putting it on a stick.
Perhaps you would care to explain the science?
I'm not a physics scientist

Davz

Post by Davz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:12 pm

so how do you know there is science behind the design of a gearknob?

Please only make statements that you can quantify or it looks like you are belittling the efforts of a skilled and knowledgable engineer with no credentials of your own.

On the plus side, that was really good of you to take the photo's of your knob against the plastic rule....chapeau!

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:20 pm

Davz wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:12 pm so how do you know there is science behind the design of a gearknob?

Please only make statements that you can quantify or it looks like you are belittling the efforts of a skilled and knowledgable engineer with no credentials of your own.

On the plus side, that was really good of you to take the photo's of your knob against the plastic rule....chapeau!
"This shift knob is the result of extensive development, from its size and shape, to its weight. (Please scroll down).

CNC precision machined from Stainless Steel billet and fully optimised for an improved gear change. This is NOT the usual aftermarket gear knob - this is a fully engineered solution to improve your overall driving experience.

Weight

Weighing in at just over 500g, the stainless steel shift knob really does feel substantial. The "notchy" nature of the BMW gearboxes is significantly smoothed out with this weight through providing a greater pivot force, giving you an effortless and precise gear change every time. Prototyping revealed that with the shift knob too light - the notchiness would still be there, too heavy and gearchange would become laboured and sloppy. With the weight optimised, we have met both criteria - smooth and swift.

Size & Shape

The standard shift knob sits at an awkward height - for both ergonomic and aesthetic purposes. Our aim was to optimise the height for reduced throw and a more natural feel. Prototyping revealed that if it sat too low - users would grip the shifter with fingertips rather than the palm of the hand. This was more apparent with cars having centre arm-rests. Iteration resulted in an optimum height, correcting both aesthetic and ergonomic problems of the standard position. Furthermore, by merging a 2" sphere with a cone, every gear-change technique is accommodated for with an intuitive grip.

Short Shift Kits

This shift-knob is an ideal add-on to a factory or aftermarket short shift kit. Such kits increase the resistance during gearchange - amplifying the inherent notchiness but our shift knob allows you to have the benefits of your short shift kit without this extra resistance. "

Ahem.
Davz wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:12 pm On the plus side, that was really good of you to take the photo's of your knob against the plastic rule....chapeau!
Buckley06 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:07 pm Maybe you could lay it next to a ruler and take a few photos.
I should be able to get plenty of info from that.

Ahem.