Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to reset Oil Change and Inspection counter

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
E85

How to reset Oil Change and Inspection counter

Post by E85 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:08 pm

I've seen BMW do it, but of course, they won't tell me the button sequence to do this when they do the oil change and service for me. I know they just use the 2 buttons in front of the steering wheel, but does anyone know how to do this?

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:17 pm

Yup! I've got a printout somewhere. I'll post it as soon as I track it down! :)

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:48 pm

1. Ignition in the off position.
2. Push and hold the trip reset button while turning the key to position "1" or Accessory.
3. Continue pushing the button for 5 additional seconds until the display changes and "inspection" or "oil service" appears.
4. Push the button again for approx 5 seconds until " Reset " or "RE" appears in the display and is flashing.
5. When the display starts to flash press the button a third time to actually reset that item. The new or updated service should appear and you can now shut the key off.
Last edited by Curtis on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E85

Post by E85 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:34 pm

thx curtis ...

mini.cooper998

Re: How to reset Oil Change and Inspection counter

Post by mini.cooper998 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:10 pm

hi tried this and i cant get it to work it gets to the reset screen reset flashes then when i press it again it says end and stays the same what am i doing wrong ive got an early 2005 2.2 any ideas oe help would be appreciated
thanks
andy

mini.cooper998

Post by mini.cooper998 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:13 pm

yeh ot it to work just follow that to the letter and it works
andy

MRol

Post by MRol » Wed May 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Go to BMW and book your car in for a Oil Change or Inspection, and they will reset it for you....... at the right time.

inTgr8r

Re:

Post by inTgr8r » Wed May 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Curtis wrote:1. Ignition in the off position.
2. Push and hold the trip reset button while turning the key to position "1" or Accessory.
3. Continue pushing the button for 5 additional seconds until the display changes and "inspection" or "oil service" appears.
4. Push the button again for approx 5 seconds until " Reset " or "RE" appears in the display and is flashing.
5. When the display starts to flash press the button a third time to actually reset that item. The new or updated service should appear and you can now shut the key off.
you forgot......
6. rub your tummy & pat your head, whilst hopping on one foot.

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed May 28, 2008 8:57 pm

MRol wrote:Go to BMW and book your car in for a Oil Change or Inspection, and they will reset it for you....... at the right time.
Why?

Once your cars out of warranty ( or not ) and you've finally lost all faith in the stealers ability to do anything right and you've realised that £100 per hour plus tax is perhaps a bit of a ripoff there's no harm in doing your own servicing. Most people on this forum take great pride in their cars and will without a doubt take the time to do an excellent job of servicing them. The stealer on the other hand couldn't give a t*ss about your car. I would never allow any of my cars to go for 15k miles between services, anything on a car can break or wear out at any time so having it checked every 15k miles ie "the right time" to me is crazy.

Just my opinion!

MRol

Post by MRol » Fri May 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Very good point!

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 am

or u get another mechanic to do it but they dont know how to reset. in my case, i will ignore this as i tend to reset it and not service the car. stealer plz take my money so i learn to service my car

BMW^Z4

Post by BMW^Z4 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:43 am

I service my Z4 myself,too !
Sterling grey ,108 starspoke, alarm,KW v3 suspension,clear lights,cd/mp3, ipod 20GB, hardtop,manual,wind deflector, aerodynamic package, silver trim,Michelin pilot sport tyres, cruise control etc ...