Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Open the lights when i open unlock the car

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
JohnZ4greece

Open the lights when i open unlock the car

Post by JohnZ4greece » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:53 pm

do you know if there is a way when i unlocking the car, the light to be turned on??? "sorry about my english"

konas

Re: Open the lights when i open unlock the car

Post by konas » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Which light? The internal one?

JohnZ4greece

Post by JohnZ4greece » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:45 am

no the ouside like the new bmws

konas

Post by konas » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:24 pm

If this can be done to our cars, then only to a BMW dealer shop for coding. Go and ask them if possible.

BlackSapphireZ

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:08 am

i installed a puddle light on my own...not hard

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:41 pm

I've done this to the side lights on my E36, it's easy. You just need some suitable wire and a diode.

Join a wire to the positive cable on the lights you want to be lit, connect this wire so both left and right hand lights are wired together, fit the diode so that it is allowing flow of electricity in the correct direction, take a feed of wire from the other end of the diode and hard wire in to the interior lights loom.

Assuming you've done this correct, you will now find that by pushing the unlock button, the interior lights come on, sending 12v down the wire to the headlights and lighting the headlights/sidelights. The reason for fitting the diode is to stop the flow of electricity in the other direction as when you turn the lights on at night, you don't want the interior lights coming on as well.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:15 am

Pete, unless I'm missing something I can't see it as a sensible idea to take a feed from the inner lights which are but a few watts to drive the headlights which depending upon halogen or Xenon could be up to 55w each. Huge risk of blown fuses, melted looms, damage to the dimmer circuit, etc. on a circuit designed for maybe 10w now pulling over 100w.
Sure lighting up the sidelights as they are but 5w shoudl be fine.

If I went this way on a Zed I'd at least have to drop a relay into the circuit to keep the wattage down.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:47 pm

Ooh, I forgot to add the correct fuse in line.

You are right, this set up is absolutely fine for side light illumination but for headlights, you just need to wire in to the fuse box rather than off one of it's smaller feeds. That way, you can connect to a more suitable cable drawing the right current. If you wire to the fuse box, you don't need an in line relay as the feed to take it from will have a relay.

Oh, and the point of the diode is to stop electricity flowing back to the interior lights (or wherever you take the feed) therefore by taking a feed from the interior lights, you won't melt the loom, it will just not have enough power to work the headlights properly.

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:45 am

BlackSapphireZ wrote:i installed a puddle light on my own...not hard
How about a 'hot to' for us who might like to -or have you done one and I missed it?

Cheers

N
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:09 am

Sticks wrote:
BlackSapphireZ wrote:i installed a puddle light on my own...not hard
How about a 'hot to' for us who might like to -or have you done one and I missed it?

Cheers

N
I wrote one here on a project to do several upgrades within the doors - interior door handle light, exterior door handle light, puddle lights, plus not covered speakers and soundproofing. All done in one project while in the door.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... hts#p49611

Should give you enough to work from, but ask any questions
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:15 pm

cj10jeeper,

Thanks for that. End result looks very good but too much for me to have a go at I think. I'm not sure I could bring a drill close to my Z4!
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Sticks wrote:cj10jeeper,

Thanks for that. End result looks very good but too much for me to have a go at I think. I'm not sure I could bring a drill close to my Z4!
Thanks for the compliments.

You can do the inner door handles with stock BMW LED's and make up puddle ligths in a variety of ways without ever putting a drill near the car. I have to say though it's taken years of projects on dozens of cars to reach the point that I feel confident to take a drill to the outside on an experimental project. Usually turns out ok... :D