Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removing firewall carpet (Z4R) - cubby release cord

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Laska

Removing firewall carpet (Z4R) - cubby release cord

Post by Laska » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:23 pm

I'm trying to get the carpet on the back of the firewall out of the way in order to get at the cd changer connectors on my Z4 roadster, but there is a bit of rope that passes through the carpet (the rope releases the centre cubby hole) that is stopping me doing it :headbang: .

Anyone know how to do this without cutting the rope?
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Removing firewall carpet (Z4R) - cubby release cord

Post by gannet » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:25 pm

I thought the bit of rope was the hood override should the auto mechanism break :?
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Laska

Post by Laska » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:27 pm

I think it releases the cubby if the electrics go (as it is on the central locking circuit)?

Regardless, how do you get the bl00dy thing out of the way!! :D
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Ive no idea... does the plastic 'cap' come off at all?
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Rasalon

Post by Rasalon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:16 pm

I didn't take the cap off...

Make 4 slits to make an "x" shape cut behind the knob for the rope and make the "x" the size of the knob. Then, turn the knob sideways and push it through the carpet. When you are done pull it through and smoth out carpet. No one will ever know.

DHK

Post by DHK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 pm

It's like a button on you shirt. Make a small cut in the carpet and feed it through.
2004 Olivine Green | Sport/Premium | Sat Nav | Paddle shifters | Dice iPod | Heated Electric Seats | Clear rear/side lights | 19" CSL/FL452 |

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Yep - the small cut and push it through works just perfectly. I know as I had to replace the firewall carpet 2 weeks ago as a part of the bluetooth retrofit. I did not need to make a 'X' rather just a single horizontal slit. Just keep lengthening it until the button will pop through.

You will also find clips holding the firewall carpet to the side carpet. If you reach around to the rear of these they unscrew. Refitting I could only do by a spot of adhesive to hold the rear fixing in place and then fit the front through the carpet. All will make sense when you try.

Now if you need to get the carpet out - good luck....that's real fun :headbang:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Laska

Post by Laska » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:25 am

Brilliant, thanks all, why the heck didn't I think of that!!
You will also find clips holding the firewall carpet to the side carpet. If you reach around to the rear of these they unscrew. Refitting I could only do by a spot of adhesive to hold the rear fixing in place and then fit the front through the carpet. All will make sense when you try.
Thanks for the advice on the clips behind the screws.. I have already found those.. and undone them.. and the clips have disappeared under the boot carpet :pinch: :D :oops:

If I end up needing to fit an ADC I'll probably find them then.. they must be there somewhere.. in theory!!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:58 am

The clips will be on the boot floor in the corners as they can't go anywhere. There are no gaps for them to drop into. You can be sure though that if left the little critters will roll around and rattle....
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills