Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clear xenon headlights (no orange indicators) for 2004 Z4

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Laska

Clear xenon headlights (no orange indicators) for 2004 Z4

Post by Laska » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Anyone know if I can swap the light units from a facelifted Z4 (with clear indicators) for the ones with orange indicator strips on my 2004 Z4 (with xenons)?

If so, how much financial pain is this likely to cause me (I am assuming it will be a lot!)?

Many thanks..
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

Wondermike

Re: Clear xenon headlights (no orange indicators) for 2004 Z4

Post by Wondermike » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:55 pm

Have a look at this thread here BMW sell clear pre-facelift lights too, apparently they are £750 each for xenons - ouch!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure you could use facelift front lights too, but get them from a breaker rather than new ones.

Laska

Post by Laska » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:10 am

Ouch indeed, that is impressively expensive!

Mike, thanks for the info, breakers sounds like it is definitely the way to go.
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:30 am

Laska
post facelift lights are not compatible with prefacelift models. Even though they are identical profile the wiring and internals are different and without some serious effort they will fail to operate correctly. Obvious things like the inner main beam bulb is a blank on the facelift and a halogen bulb on the pre

As Mike says the easiest option is late model prefacelift that came with clear indicators. IIRC they are £750 each Xenon and about £350 halogen

Alternative is do as I did and build/convert your own, but it's not easy.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Laska

Post by Laska » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:32 pm

That's great info, many thanks.

Just to make sure I have this right, am I correct in saying:

- clear indicators in the front headlamp units became standard when the Z4 was facelifted?
- pre facelift there was an option to swap the headlamps for ones with clear indicators?
- this option was available for halogen and xenon equipped cars?
- Any pre facelift cars that have clear indicators either had this option specified when they were ordered, or retrofitted this option later?

So to do this on the cheap I need to find a clear indicator equipped car at the breakers.. I may grab some hen's teeth while I'm there!!

I've seen the threads on the conversions, that is just too non-standard for me, even though it is so tempting as I could get the angel eyes at the same time... 8)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:09 pm

Laska wrote:- Any pre facelift cars that have clear indicators either had this option specified when they were ordered, or retrofitted this option later?
All correct, apart from maybe this one, I don't think you could order them from the factory, only a dealer fit accessory.

And I can't remember whether or not the very last pre-facelift cars came with clear fronts :scratchhead:

Like you say, either way they're pretty rare.

Laska

Post by Laska » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks Mike, think it will be easier just to sack this one and live with the orange strips!