Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Bluetooth Connection

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
X-S-Z

BMW Bluetooth Connection

Post by X-S-Z » Tue May 27, 2008 4:47 pm

I have BMW Bluetooth connection in my 04 Z and have managed to pair my Nokia E65. This gives me answering via the phone or steering wheel with the incoming call number displayed on the stereo but I cannot make calls from the steering wheel, only my phone, which kind of negates some of the usefulness of handsfree! When I press the call button or R/T button on the steering wheel a random mobile number is displayed on the stereo (I presume from the previous owner?), I can't seem to find any other numbers or remove this one from the system. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make calls through the steering wheel/use voice activation or failing that just remove this random number from the system? I have read various posts about replacing ULF modules and the like but can't seem to make much sense of them.... any help would be appreciated!
Current: Imola red Z4MR
Previous: Z4 3.0i SE, 118d SE

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW Bluetooth Connection

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue May 27, 2008 6:13 pm

Bluetooth can be a pain in the arse as there are so many phones and generations of ULF and not all are compatible to all phones and/or with full functionality. Sounds to me as though you only have partial functionality with your combination.

Have you managed to transfer your address book either automatically or manually? That would clean up the ULF's old data. I don't know your phone at all but on my Blackberries it automatic, but there are options to 'push' it too.

If someone with an E65 can answer specifically and has it working - great, but if not I'd get another phone that is a known match to BMW and pair it to test.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

X-S-Z

Post by X-S-Z » Wed May 28, 2008 9:01 am

[quote="cj10jeeper"]Have you managed to transfer your address book either automatically or manually? That would clean up the ULF's old data. I don't know your phone at all but on my Blackberries it automatic, but there are options to 'push' it too. [quote]

No to both questions, I cannot find any functionality to transfer manually once connected. I will have to try and source a known compatible model as you suggest unless anyone has any other suggestions?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed May 28, 2008 9:23 am

Just to be clear the 'transfer address book' or similar wording will be on your phone not the Z4 ULF. Have a look under Bluetooth and see if there is a transfer option in the sub menus. Try 'Options', 'send', 'via bluetooth' as part guess.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

X-S-Z

Post by X-S-Z » Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 am

An update on the bluetooth situation:

Last night I sourced a Nokia 6230 and connected that, all the names from the phone transferred to the car and I could call them fine from the steering wheel controls. I then connected my own phone Nokia E65 and yet again ONLY the random number came up and no others. I then proceeded to follow the instructions to disconnect all phones and 'wipe' the memory. Following that I connected the Nokia 6230 once again, phone book details available and then connected my Nokia E65 which gave the same result as previously. I am assuming the car just accesses the phone book directly from the phone and doesn't store it hence I am getting none of the numbers with my E65 connected, however I cannot explain where the random number is coming from? Its definitely not in my phone book and by my assumption and 'wiping' of the car memory should not be stored in the car and hence not displayed on connection of my E65... Anymore suggestions?

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Thu May 29, 2008 12:07 pm

I read somewhere that the E65 is fully compatible, as long as you update to the latest firmware. Have you tried that?

I pick up my car tomorrow, so will try it then.

X-S-Z

Post by X-S-Z » Sat May 31, 2008 2:00 pm

Mattt wrote:I read somewhere that the E65 is fully compatible, as long as you update to the latest firmware. Have you tried that?

I pick up my car tomorrow, so will try it then.
After much hassle my phone is updated with the latest software but it hasn't changed anything, still the same compatibility issues... Let me know how you got on?

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Sat May 31, 2008 2:44 pm

Mine paired up fine, but I had the same issue as you. I got fed up and went inside and had lunch.

I came outside to fiddle some more, and it just worked.

I can't transfer numbers for some reason, but I can dial from the unit & wheel.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat May 31, 2008 5:24 pm

These partially compatible bluetooth combinations are just frustrating. Mine works pretty well however today I noticed if you press the 'talking head' button to use voice control and then don't make the call it starts to play a classical music channel from somewhere. This is really bizarre as I've none tuned, never listen to it and had the radio/CD OFF both times it happened...

I can but guess it's a default TMC channel it finds.

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Sat May 31, 2008 11:11 pm

AFAIK most systems use Classic FM as the TMC channel.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:40 am

Mattt wrote:AFAIK most systems use Classic FM as the TMC channel.
That's my assumption too Matt on this bizarre thing. It's of course no big deal just a curiosity.

X-S-Z

Post by X-S-Z » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:46 pm

I guess I'll just have to be grateful it connects, makes and receives calls and live without numbers until it comes the time to upgrade my phone again!