Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parrot Bluetooth Car Kits

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Parrot Bluetooth Car Kits

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:46 pm

My experience of OEM is with Sat Nav installed and a phone that connects reasonably well.

I like it because:
Links to car stereo system
fully integrated so radio, cd, etc. fades out when a call comes in and resumes on finish
completely hands free with voice control or use of steering wheel controls
On screen display of calls coming in, out, etc.
Easy Sat Nav/radio input of manual numbers
Downloads address book and gives, scroll, favourite numbers, last dialled, voice control
Auto pairing to whichever phone or car I'm using
Invisible for theft purposes
Adds resale value

Don't get me wrong OEM is expensive, difficult to retrofit and not easily portable to the next car, but 2 posts have just commented 'it's better'

Why?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 pm

Without sat nav, the OEM solution is frustrating having to scroll one line at a time...

I have had to reorder my address book by inserting some aaa's at the beginning of the most used numbers in order for it to list them first... Still once done it's ok :)

Has anyone else found that the OEM seems to de-dupe numbers?! For instance I had a contact for 'Work' and 'Office' (dont ask :oops:) But only one of the entries would ever appear to transfer - and it was always 'Work' so alot of scrolling was involved...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:27 pm

OK - so there is one good reason - without the bord monitor there is no clear display to work from :thumbsdown:

Multiple addresses - I have done some fancy work on my Outlook/Blackberry and allocate each contact a category so I have a contact for work, home and fax but just allocate say 'work' that I want in the car. If I did not do this every phone number for each contact and every contact woudl be on and swamp my ULF. The address book then just bluetooths those to the car not multiple. This also enable me to trim down over 700 contacts to a manageable 50 I need in the cars. Very cool
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 pm

my phone doesnt allow categories just groups - but groups are only used for the sending of messages to multiple people! Each contact can have more than one number (home, work, mobile etc) but these just appear as an entry in the list passed to the car system - so if I have 10 contacts each with 3 numbers the list would include 30 numbers - you get the idea :( too much scrolling and eyes off the road to be practical :thumbsdown:

Lucky I only really use 3 people regularly that I now have at the top of the list :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:34 pm

gannet wrote:my phone doesnt allow categories just groups - but groups are only used for the sending of messages to multiple people! Each contact can have more than one number (home, work, mobile etc) but these just appear as an entry in the list passed to the car system - so if I have 10 contacts each with 3 numbers the list would include 30 numbers - you get the idea :( too much scrolling and eyes off the road to be practical :thumbsdown:

Lucky I only really use 3 people regularly that I now have at the top of the list :thumbsup:
Some guys far smarter than me on phones got me sorted on the whole Outlook to Blackberry to ULF syncronising piece, once they understood exactly what I needed. I'd suggest a specific thread on this and see if you get someone who can help.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:19 pm

If you are using a WM 5 or 6 phone/PDA then there is a piece of software from http://www.jetwaremobile.com/ that will enable you to select by category which numbers to sync, thus allowing you to restrict the numbers sync'd

Also useful for Parrot kit as using the software to send contacts (not sync) it will give one contact with multiple numbers

Robsie71

Post by Robsie71 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Everybody will have their own opinion on which is best, as stated its my opinion only and I am very happy with the choice I made. Everyone is entitled to make their own choice and people will think different things, otherwise we would live in a very boring world. 8) I am not here to try and change peoples minds just to offer a cheaper option to OEM.

The system fully integrates with the stereo speakers, mutes any source when a call is made or received and is very easy to navigate and use. The screen has a built in mic so no extra wiring to route.

I personally found the BMW OEM kit very reliable to use with certain phones but frustrating with others (Was in an 04 plate car). I have had no such issues with the Parrot. As stated above I also found the scroll from a-z time consuming and find the letter selection search far easier on the Parrot.

The only thing that some people may not like about the Parrot MK6100 is that it has a seperate remote to operate it. It can be fitted to the steering wheel but I chose a different location. I find the fact that you can mute a call and also stream music via bluetooth from the remote nice touches.

Both remote and screen can be removed without having to restick each time for security if required.

This is a picture of the location of the screen/mic unit.

This is a picture of the remote.

Nick

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Picture of LS3200 installation using damage free mount.

Main control unit left of ac controls and mic on sterring wheel console

For further intergation using steering wheel controls you can use a CK3000 Evolution, or CK3100 with Parrot MULTICAN.

This wasnt an option when I bought mine though :x

Last edited by srhutch on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:18 pm

Robsie71 - thanks for that explanation At last I can see what the advantages of this system are and compare to OEM.

Robsie71

Post by Robsie71 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:26 pm

No problem.

Andrew_Morris

Post by Andrew_Morris » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi

I wote about an alterative to both of these options in the forum a few weeks ago. You might want to put this into the mix.

<Snip
I wanted the bluetooth wiring when I purchased my pre-loved Z4. Unfortunately I couldn't find one that ticked all of the boxes and so something had to give.

My experience with hard wired OEM bluetooth kits has been mixed to say the least. I've even tried a few parrot systems in my time but have never been pleased with the final result.

I don't have the skills to do my own retrofit and I don't trust my dash to some of the cowboys out there who fit car kits so I thought I'd try this little product.

http://www.myventuri.com/home.aspx

I've been really pleased with the neat combination of bluetooth and FM transmitter. The mic is really clear (so I've been told, I've never been on the receiving end, and the sound comes out of the car speakers. Even neater is that the name of the caller and all your contcts etc are displayed on the car stereo screen in real time.

Costs £60 from amazon in the UK.

There is even a version that comes in a brushed aluminium case which would look great next to my interior. Unfortunately I didn't find out about it until after ordering mine

Not a perfect solution for all phones, check the compatability screen, but I think it's excellent value for money. < Snip

I use an HTC Tytn II (O2 stellar in the UK) running windows 6.1 in conjunction with the jetwaremobile software that makes the phone 100% bluetooth address book compatible. I also use Microsoft Voice Commander for the voice activated dialing. It wil accept instructions such as "Call ........." and even "Dial 07976 etc"

I'm really pleased with the result and IMHO the result is far superior to the tempremental parrot kits that I have had in the past.

I have the BMW ipod adapter built in, but If I didn't then this would be another reason why I'd choose the Venturi as it can stream music in very clear FM.

One of the problems with other FM transmitters is that you can only select one frequency at a time. The venturi broadcasts to 4 stored frequencies, so if you get any interference, you can just selct a different pre-set station from the steering wheel controls without taking your hands off the wheel.

It also acts as a bluetooth headset for other programs on my phone so I get my TomTom directions coming over the cars speakers in perfect clarity too - fantastic on those top down days when the speaker on the phone just wont do.
White 2.0i sport / 108's / Comfort Package / BMW ipod adaptor - Gone but not forgotten