Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Upset to find this. Sorted :-)

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
roofless

Upset to find this. Sorted :-)

Post by roofless » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 am

Heading back to my car after work yesterday and something didn't look quite right, looking closer i found this

Not aware of having hit anything on the drive to work and am positive the car wasn't like this when i parked it in the morning :x

My question is this; there is no easy way to get to the rear of the grill to try and fix it back till i find out what replacement parts will cost, there seems to be an area on the under skirt/spoiler which may bolt off and allow access. Do the panel bolts have spring washers or such like inside; if i undo the panel am i going to have the devils own job to fix it back securely?
The grill is forced in about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in old money, i can't pull it back in place and clip it from the front, it seems to need assistance from behind. :cry:
Last edited by roofless on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

srhutch

Re: Upset to find this.

Post by srhutch » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:21 am

Are you sure it won't all snap back into place

roofless

Post by roofless » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 am

srhutch wrote:Are you sure it won't all snap back into place
Unfortunately yes, spent quarter of an hour last night trying to pull it back but somewhere it is catching and i can't lever the top left hand side back in place. I have got 2 points clipped back on the right hand side but without damaging the grill i am stuck :(
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 am

Unless someone kicked it how can just the grill be pushed back... some right jealous idiots out there.

I have no idea how it comes back out.. i but i would imagine if it can be pushed in it can also be pushed back out.... maybe if you try removing a few of the undertray bolts and see if you can get your hand behind it to push it out..... they are not spring loaded on the E85.

roofless

Post by roofless » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:01 pm

aquazi wrote:Unless someone kicked it how can just the grill be pushed back... some right jealous idiots out there.

I have no idea how it comes back out.. i but i would imagine if it can be pushed in it can also be pushed back out.... maybe if you try removing a few of the undertray bolts and see if you can get your hand behind it to push it out..... they are not spring loaded on the E85.
That's what i intend to try, my paranoia just forces this image into my mind of not being able to re secure the tray underneath or it being loose.

It's possible something i haven't seen or felt may have hit the car but i can't see how when there is no sign of any damage anywhere else, my first thought was skateboard based on the height and limited impact point. Guess i'll never know: Perhaps the seagulls decided to join in the rioting !

roofless

Re: Upset to find this. :-) Sorted

Post by roofless » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Finally got some time to get under the car - sort of, not easy on gravel with no jack or ramps. 8 screws to undo and fiddle around with; to find that to properly take a panel out was going to take much longer. Managed to get a hand up behind the wheel arch panel and put some pressure on the grill, the silver plastic parts just pulled out at the front and i could realign the black grill, then clip the silver trim back on. Phew!
Most galling thing stupidly, is to think that when i was first pricing up a 23i i was going to pay how much to bmw to put in the silver grills on the front spoiler? (am i right in remembering that as an option, or was it just that the main kidney grill was in black on the 23i?)
Any way i reckon there's barely 10pence worth of plastic in those silver trim pieces - Quality at BMW my R's

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Upset to find this. :-) Sorted

Post by sars » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 pm

roofless wrote:Finally kid
Any way i reckon there's barely 10pence worth of plastic in those silver trim pieces - Quality at BMW my R's
You now know why BMW make so much profit, up 66% on the previous year
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Upset to find this. Sorted :-)

Post by aquazi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:29 pm

Well done :thumbsup:

Can't believe they cost more silver... I would have just sprayed them... Would have cost £5 worth of halfords paint :)