Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

soft top lubrication

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Swashbuckles

Re: soft top lubrication

Post by Swashbuckles » Sat May 28, 2011 1:51 pm

I do mine every month regardless, used to have a Z3 and left that to every quarter and paid the price. I use WD40 on all hinges and rollers, also the front claw catches. I use a very light Vaseline coating on the rubber seals all thevway round, once dry I also use normal boot polish on a rag to give a protective film, i only apply a light covering.
Additional I use boot polish on my seats, it keeps them in brilliant condition and can remove belt buckle etc scuffs and scratches.
Dave :driving:

ZED_NOT_ZEE

Re: soft top lubrication

Post by ZED_NOT_ZEE » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Swashbuckles wrote:I do mine every month regardless, used to have a Z3 and left that to every quarter and paid the price. I use WD40 on all hinges and rollers, also the front claw catches. I use a very light Vaseline coating on the rubber seals all thevway round, once dry I also use normal boot polish on a rag to give a protective film, i only apply a light covering.
Additional I use boot polish on my seats, it keeps them in brilliant condition and can remove belt buckle etc scuffs and scratches.
Dave :driving:
Probably not a good idea actually. WD40 is a water disperserant, not a lubricant. It also evaporates into a sticky residue usually compounding the issue. 3-in-1 is an oil, not a grease.Stick with an actual grease such as lithium grease or white grease (which is typically what is used for convertible tops, power windows, and hinges.)

Also Vaseline on rubber seals is a definite no-no. Vaseline is petroleum based and will actually 'eat' through rubber and latex causing small holes and eventually rips/tears. What you want is a silicone based lubricant.
Z4 3.0i SMG - Sport/Prem/Nav. Gray on Red (year-round beater)
e46 M3 SMG II - Cold/Heat/Lux. Black on Black (summer beater)
e36 M3 5-Speed - Cold/Lux. Black on Black (winter beater)
Suzuki GS500F - No options. Black/White (city beater)