Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

soft top lubrication

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
IMZ4N

soft top lubrication

Post by IMZ4N » Wed May 11, 2011 5:24 pm

What parts need to be lubed, What should I lube it with. This is a preventive procedure.

IMZ4N

Re: soft top lubrication

Post by IMZ4N » Sat May 21, 2011 4:29 pm

No one?

seanodwyer

soft top lubrication

Post by seanodwyer » Sat May 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Just stop it at the half way point and you'll see all the hinges. Don't use WD40. Use a light grease or a light oil like 3in1. Also oil/grease the rollers in the screen top that the hood locks into. That's what I do for what it's worth :-)
2005, 2.0L E85, Toledo Blue. Mods: Stubby, ZHP gear knob, cruise control, AUX, Cup Holders, De-badged, Brodit Iphone 4 holder, OEM hood cover, Black Grilles, OEM mesh windblocker, Nokia CK-100 car kit, tinted rear lights, ACS pedal set and loads of TLC

TINO

Post by TINO » Sat May 21, 2011 6:58 pm

lube mine every 2 months with 3in1 as said half open no probs yet, fingers crossed :driving:
sterling grey ,red skins,, big wheels crap tyres sunny side up 2.2 female.
The middle of the road is a dangerous place you have to take sides.Image

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat May 21, 2011 7:53 pm

+1 on 3 in 1 oil,is it a problem if one of the rollers doesnt roll?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

danno85

Post by danno85 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:26 am

TINO wrote:lube mine every 2 months with 3in1 as said half open no probs yet, fingers crossed :driving:
I live in the desert in New Mexico. If you are lubing your rollers every two months, how often should I be lubing mine? The wife purchased the car about 4 months ago and I have yet to do anything with the top other than some 303 cleaner and protector on the fabric itself. With the sandstorms and wind here I should have suspected lube was required on the rollers. I will do it soon for sure. 3-in-1 seems to be the general consensus so that is what I will use. Just the rollers with the 3-in-1 then?
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun May 22, 2011 9:50 am

I started doing mine when the roof stuck and always use a little light cycle oil, don't forget the fly-out catches in the front edge of the roof, these were the parts that stuck on mine. I clean excess oil off the windscreen rollers as it attracts grit around them.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Mon May 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Thank you guys for the replies. I did not know what to use, and did not think of the parts in the soft top at the windshield. :thumbsup: I had considered using a graphite lube to keep from collecting dust. I figure less is more in this case and just do it often ( twice a year as the top is open/closed all year long here ). :poke:

Incompatible

Post by Incompatible » Wed May 25, 2011 3:15 pm

IMZ4N wrote:Thank you guys for the replies. I did not know what to use, and did not think of the parts in the soft top at the windshield. :thumbsup: I had considered using a graphite lube to keep from collecting dust. I figure less is more in this case and just do it often ( twice a year as the top is open/closed all year long here ). :poke:
Get a hardtop or better yet, trade it in on a coupe and problem solved! :fuelfire:
If you can't take the time to teach a kid something good, someone will take the time to teach them something bad.
2007 AW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Wed May 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Incompatible Get a hardtop or better yet, trade it in on a coupe and problem solved! :fuelfire:
So what you are trying to say is , you have no useful input on this question. If I did what you suggest, it would then create a different issue. I would have people offering to bring sawsalls and can openers to meets for me. LOL :roll:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed May 25, 2011 5:06 pm

IMZ4N wrote:
Incompatible Get a hardtop or better yet, trade it in on a coupe and problem solved! :fuelfire:
So what you are trying to say is , you have no useful input on this question. If I did what you suggest, it would then create a different issue. I would have people offering to bring sawsalls and can openers to meets for me. LOL :roll:
This sort of thing is quite natural, It's a form of penis envy, affected C owners usually learn to deal with their lack of equipment :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Ewazix This sort of thing is quite natural, It's a form of penis envy, affected C owners usually learn to deal with their lack of equipment :wink:

Incompatible and I do drives and see each other quite often ( inside joke going on here ) I have offered to bring such tools for him in the past. LOL I love my roadster and enjoy the ability to have the top up and hide from radiant sun or to drop the top and enjoy the wind rushing across my scalp ( darn near bald ) LOL

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 pm

IMZ4N wrote:
Ewazix This sort of thing is quite natural, It's a form of penis envy, affected C owners usually learn to deal with their lack of equipment :wink:

Incompatible and I do drives and see each other quite often ( inside joke going on here ) I have offered to bring such tools for him in the past. LOL I love my roadster and enjoy the ability to have the top up and hide from radiant sun or to drop the top and enjoy the wind rushing across my scalp ( darn near bald ) LOL

".....have put top up and hide from radiant sun" - You have no idea how much a comment like hurts us here in the land of eternal cloud!
A few years ago I did route from LA to vegas, back through death valley, over the hills then the pacific coastal roads to SF and then North, spectacular driving. I would love to do it in a Zed but unfortunately I had a rental sedan, maybe post a thread with some pics of your best roads? I'm sure us cold, damp Brits would enjoy (Big Sur sticks in my memory). 8)
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Fri May 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Here are just a few, LOL I feel for those that need to store their cars in winter. Winter to me is the fact we must drive the beaches rather than the mountains. Sorry

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 14&t=11897

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6636

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO_mROUTq50

TINO

Post by TINO » Fri May 27, 2011 9:16 pm

lube all you can,any hinge where the roof goe's back just a small drop does it here,wind,rain,frost,snow,-0. things you wont see, but need to be addressed here in uk :)
sterling grey ,red skins,, big wheels crap tyres sunny side up 2.2 female.
The middle of the road is a dangerous place you have to take sides.Image