Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Renew fabric in Wind Deflector

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Dr Phibes

Renew fabric in Wind Deflector

Post by Dr Phibes » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Not sure if this has been done by anyone on here, but,

My wind deflector has a small hole in the fabric, which seems to have got slightly larger in the past few weeks. Looking on Ebay, I see you can pick up a second hand deflector for upwards of £50, but as there is nothing wrong at all with the frame of mine itself, I got to wondering if I could replace the fabric.

Looking at the deflector, from the cockpit side, there is a rubber gasket that secures the fabric in place. If you push gently from the rear - around the edges, you can push the gasket out and the fabric with it.

Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to locate a suitable replacement fabric. I've looked on Ebay, but found nothing suitable.
Anyone any ideas ?

Once you get the fabric, it's a simple case of lapping the fabric over the top edge of the gasket, and pushing the same top edge of the gasket back into the frame. |Then, stretch the fabric from the bottom two corners and with the help of an extra pair of hands, push the gasket back in all around the frame. Any excess fabric can easily be trimmed to leave a new looking wind deflector.

Again, any ideas on a replacement fabric ?
I assume you can't just buy the stuff from BMW ?

Cheers :thumbsup:

.Sterling Grey / Sat Nav / Hi Fi / Heated Leather / Bern 710's.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Renew fabric in Wind Deflector

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Sounds a possibility to do....

You could try getting your wife in the spirit with a nice dinner and few glasses of wine. Charm her, rip her fishnets off, then head for the garage to try it out. :evil:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dr Phibes

Post by Dr Phibes » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Great minds CJ, :rofl:

Just tried a very similar approach, but failed miserably.
'er indoors just looked at me as if I were incredibly sad to even think about re upholstering a wind deflector.

Back to the drawing board....

If someone can find a suitable material, quite a few of us could save a few quid :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:23 pm

What you wasted a good dinner and wine and didn't get the fishnets.... :thumbsdown:

On a more serious note I'd be looking at mosquito nets, fly mesh for doors, etc. as a start point
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dr Phibes

Post by Dr Phibes » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

:lol: You're joking !

Wine ? YES !
Meal ? - I'm not going down that road - not even for access to some fishnet. :lol:

Might have a ride down to Dunelm on Saturday. See what they've got.
I'll post if I find anything suitable .

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Speaker grill cloth fabric. Had a quick search on the internet and lots of suppliers, just a case of finding a weave and colour that is near enough to the original. Here's a starter for ten...

http://www.speakerworks.com/dark_grey_s ... /gcdgr.htm
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Dr Phibes

Post by Dr Phibes » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Speaker grill fabric is a great idea AlanJ :thumbsup:

I've had a look around, but as of yet, not found anything near enough to the original BMW fabric.
The search goes on........

FastInCurves

Post by FastInCurves » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:49 am

Sounds like a great idea, but I gave up on my last one and bought a new lexan one from windblox when this happened to me. Mesh is just way too much of a hassle for me, and I wasn't about to pay $280 for a new one. Ah.... eBay is wonderful!

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Maybe now is the time to ''move up'' to a plexi deflector from roadstersolutions.com, much nicer IMO
Go Topless