Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Install illuminated gear knob

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Holm

Install illuminated gear knob

Post by Holm » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:48 pm

I am looking for some tips to install the illuminated gear knob as in the M version. The replacement of the gear knob went ok, but can not find out how to do the wiring for the illumination. I have been on some German Z4 forums and they are writing something about connecting to the cigarette lighter. Have anyone here tried to do this? Other ideas?
Sterling Grey, 3.0i, Aero kit, 19" M wheels

Cool Z4

Re: Install illuminated gear knob

Post by Cool Z4 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:57 pm

About the Cigarette lighter. I actually have used the cig lighter fuse to power my Sat radio. I can't remember the name of it, but I got a fuse off the web that has the normal 2 plugs and I think 2 plugs where you can install wires to. Worked well once I figured out my positive from my negative. Of course, that means that it will be illuminated all the time since the power is never shut off to the cig lighter. As memory serves, I think one of the empty plugs on the lower left will only come on when the key is turned to on. :?
ImageImage

Cool Z4

Re: Install illuminated gear knob

Post by Cool Z4 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:58 pm

About the Cigarette lighter. I actually have used the cig lighter fuse to power my Sat radio. I can't remember the name of it, but I got a fuse off the web that has the normal 2 plugs and I think 2 plugs where you can install wires to. Worked well once I figured out my positive from my negative. Of course, that means that it will be illuminated all the time since the power is never shut off to the cig lighter. As memory serves, I think one of the empty plugs on the lower left will only come on when the key is turned to on. :?
ImageImage