Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PUSH START BUTTON W/optional "anti-theft"

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
BlackSapphireZ

PUSH START BUTTON W/optional "anti-theft"

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:24 am

THANKS TO E46FANATICS!

before i begin, I will say, it's not pretty. I am the first one to fit the Altima push start button in and it was bigger than I thought or the Cig lighter area was smaller than E46 where I got the idea from. so I had to dremel out a whole bunch and relocated the Cig to the opening for "pass airbag on" light which is useless and I use Cig lighter to charge stuff more.

Anyway, this was my install and you can do it with ANY OTHER BUTTON out there as long as you use a proper relay and wiring(18gauges was recommended) S2000 is a popular one, Z8, Altima/Infiniti buttons... I liked the Altima because it lights up...kinda cool and feels better than S2000, which I had experience with before.

ALL you have to do is follow the DIY(IDENTICAL FOR Z4's) below for S2000, but for wiring on Altima button, it is also listed below.
***THE PICTURE BELOW SHOWS ALL PINS CONECTED. This is if you want to have LOCK/ACC/ON LED's on continuously. I chose to only light up ON LED...aka, I did not ground LOCK or ACC pin****
http://members.shaw.ca/banana_bread/S20 ... artdiy.htm

and some of my pix and vids

part number(about $36 shipped from HerbGordon Nissan in MD)

what it looks like at night, I DID NOT connect Lock and Acc LED's because it would look stupid when the car is on, to have LOCK and ACC light on.

In the Ash Tray

OPTIONAL
This is optional. I cut the starter wire coming out of the ignition(blue/black)
so the car can not be started using the key. Must put the key in ignition to ON position and press the button to start. Just prevents someone to take off in ur car "just incase" some may say it's not gonna work..yea they can always steal the car but it's just nice to have.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Re: PUSH START BUTTON W/optional "anti-theft"

Post by ovrkll » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:27 am

Cool!! Not my cup of tea, but a really neat idea, and kudos for attempting it :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:06 am

Very cool... I like it! :D
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:01 am

ovrkll wrote:Cool!! Not my cup of tea, but a really neat idea, and kudos for attempting it :thumbsup:
X2... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

561design

Post by 561design » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:50 pm

:thumbsup: Great job on working on your car and a good write up as well. I personally do not like starter buttons on non-race vehicles. The concept still eludes me.
Charles
flickr

bingboybri

Post by bingboybri » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:36 am

:thumbsup: always wanted a push start....
2003 z4 3.0i se auto,black with black roof,red leather,auto lights and wipers,ac, 6 cd, pdc,traction ,heated/elec memory seats,18 compomotive wheels and a great big grin on my face you couldnt crack with a sledge hammer.(oh and my new stubby from pav

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:42 pm

I do like your placement of it.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

BlackSapphireZ

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:15 am

Aebous wrote:I do like your placement of it.
honestly there is NO OTHER PLACE for it. NOT drilling into my dash.

and cig lighter is the best place. if you want you can use smaller S2000 switch but that just screams rice... this looks subtle and more upscale imo