Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Fluid Change+CDV Removal

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
BlackSapphireZ

Brake Fluid Change+CDV Removal

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:22 pm

THIS DIY IS FOR 2003 Z4 2.5i MANUAL
I would do this when I do the brakes them selves. dont' sue me if you make a mistake..and if you are not mechanically inclined, bring it to me i charge a lot ;)

tools required
1)8mm/9mm/10mm wrench
2)jack
3) FOUR jack stands
4)choice of brake fluid, mine being ATE blue racing fluid
5)one man bleeder kit(if you are alone) or a clear tube if you have a helper
6)17mm wrenches

My way of jacking up all four tires safely.
1)jack driver side only, put the jackstand under the lower control arm.
2)do the same on the passengerside
3)go to the rear, look at the center where the two bars come together and bolts on. Jack from there to a position and place jackstands under the factory jack location on the sides

1)take all four wheels off

2)get the car in the air. all 4 tires off, and in somewhat of a leveled position.

3)unscrew the cap on the brake fluid reservior...aka clutch fluid reservoir. they are the same and draw fluid from same reservoir.

4)Starting farthest away from the reservoir, aka the Right Rear Wheel, remove the rubber cap if needed, put the hose from one-man bleeder to the nipple and unscrew. rear screws are smaller than the front. Since my fluid color is significantly different than factory you will know when the old fluid has come out of the lines.
TO BLEED...Pump the brake pedal about three times and bottle on the one man bleeder will fill up when doing this, CONTINUOUSLY monitor the fluid level in the reservoir. DO NOT let it get below "LOW" mark it will let air into the line and will be very hard to get out!!!

5)repeat step 4 for RR, LR, RF, LF in that order to completely remove the old fluid.

6)NOW for CDV...once you have done all that locate the CDV on the left side of the transmission. THIS PICTURE IS AFTER CDV REMOVAL

7) I don't know the name of this tool but use it to clamp down on the rubber hose to reduce the mess and unscrew the bolts. they go in opposite direction!. once it's unscrewed, the CDV simply falls out.

8)there is no picture of this...bleed the clutch line by unscrewing on the small nipple by same method as you would bleed the brakes. step on the clutch, manually pull back, repeat.

9)again, take the car down in a safe manner, use a common sense and you are done!

christian915

Re: Brake Fluid Change+CDV Removal

Post by christian915 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:35 am

I have the smg transmission and i am planning on bleeding my brakes. Do I need to flush the clutch system also???? Not sure if it would have a clutch system similiar to the manual transmission.

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:40 am

BlackSapphireZ, What’s the verdict with the CDV changed :driving:
Blue Z4MC - now gone

plowy

Post by plowy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:21 pm

I too would like to hear a verdict on the result.. :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:34 pm

There are 2 separate containers in the brake reservoir. Bleeding the brakes does not necessatate the bleeding of the clutch.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo