Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wind Deflector Fitting

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
RoundoBaldo

Wind Deflector Fitting

Post by RoundoBaldo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi all, just a quick (and probably basic) question..

I bought a wind deflector for my 55 plate Z, and need to know about getting it fitted as 3 messages to BMW in Solihull have all, so far gone unreturned... beautiful!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0317506198

Is it a case I should persevere with BMW (finding another branch) or is it something I can do?

It should also be noted I'm a bit of a div on anything remotely complicated.

Tref

Re: Wind Deflector Fitting

Post by Tref » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:08 pm

Do you have the roll hoop covers with the clips? If not you will need the clips to fit at least, and probably the hoop covers too. If you can follow instructions then it is a straighforward job.

There are multiple threads on this and the other forums with fitting guidelines. I'm sure someone will be along with a pointer shortly...
Come to Daddy: 2004 TVR T350 Targa
Current stable: 2006 Golf GTi, 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP
Previous: 2004 Z4 3.0 Manual in Toledo Blue, 2004 TVR T350 Targa, 1995 TVR Chimaera

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:38 pm

You need some of the retrofit parts to make it work, the new roll bar covers plus the little clear plastic bits. Click on the images to get your part numbers.

Retrofit, Wind deflector - BMW parts catalog

Wind deflector - BMW parts catalog

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Roll bar covers will cost you around £80 for all 4 parts not sure about the mounting kit though

memphisz4

Post by memphisz4 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:08 am

I feel like a fool! Started to install the wind deflector and got stuck on the 1st step...
It says to remove the screw on the seat belt trim. I cant see how to remove the seat belt cover.
Can anyone help me on this?
Thank you!
Bob

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:28 pm

memphisz4 wrote:I feel like a fool! Started to install the wind deflector and got stuck on the 1st step...
It says to remove the screw on the seat belt trim. I cant see how to remove the seat belt cover.
Can anyone help me on this?
Thank you!
Bob
Without going outside to check as it's dark, cold and wet you need to pull the seatbelt out of the way where it comes out of the rear bulkhead underneath you will see the screw you need to remove from the cover.

memphisz4

Post by memphisz4 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:18 pm

You are correct. Under the belt is the torx screw, which once removed will let you take the large part of the belt cover off. The issue is that there is a plastic plate-like cover that needs to be removed. I finally got mine off using a plastic wedge and lots of pressure. It then snapped off. I was lucky not to break any of the micro tabs. Now looking at this plate, I still dont see how its removed easily. To install, it will simply snap back on. Maybe this is another part BMW wants you to break and replace while installing the replacement roll covers for their windblock system?
Thanks for your reply!
bob