Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
templed

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Post by templed » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:48 pm

EDIT (Sp3ctre): The credit for this goes to BlacksapphireZ, and was originally posted on http://www.zpost.com. It is reproduced here with permission of the author (and thanks!)

Here's one more for now ... until I attempt to install my new H&R rear sway bar anyway :D

I have not tried this one, though I intend to before this winter to see if this will help the notchiness I feel in the stick (no smart comments :shutup: ) when it's cold outside.

Just like the CDV change, I had this saved from a previous "Z forum", so I cannot take credit for writing this.

Good luck!

from 03 2.5i 5 speed manual trans

TOOLS/PARTS required
-jacks(two would be nicer) need LOW clearance jack or buy cult wood from home depot to get your car high enough to clear the jack.(front wheels)
-Jack stands...DO NOT PROCEED WITHOUT ALL FOUR
-2 quarts of Redline D4 ATF (2.5i takes 1.1 quarts , 3.0 takes 1.3 quarts)
-fluid pump
-17mm WRENCH & Socket
-Brake parts cleaner(clean off excess and clean out the pump if you are doing other projects)

**DRIVE AROUND THE BLOCK, WARM UP THE FLUID BEFORE PROCEEDING**

first you need to put your car in the air. ALL 4 wheels and needs to be leveled. I jacked the front end first, each side separately. once one side was in the air, i put the jack stand on the front control arm since i could not find a suitable place to put the stand. for the rear, i jacked it up from the differential where the two bars come together(you can identify them by the two silver screws that are visible from the rear) then once it was lifted, I put two jack stands underneath the proper jacking location. **please pay great attention when jacking up the car and putting it on the stands. CAR MAY FALL if not done correctly.**

UNSCREW the FILL PLUG FIRST ALWAYS!
fill plug is already removed in the picture. FILL plug is easier to get with a wrench but you can squeeze a socket in there(i did)
once you have removed the fill plug, remove the drain plug. it will splash out.

after you let it sit for few minutes, put the drain plug back in. and proceed to pump the fluid in. It shoudl be RED in color as with other Automatic Transmission Fluid(yes i've researched, Redline D4 ATF is the fluid to be using) continue to fill/pump until fluid comes out of the fill hole.

once thats done, put the fill plug back in and thats it!
'05 Z4 3.0i, olivine green, 6 speed man., sport package, M seats, CDV mod, BMW strut brace, H&R rear sway bar, clutch-stop, non-RFTs!!!

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:45 am

That DIY was from jinthekoreankid, aka BlackSapphireZ on other forums.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:42 am

Rick, any chance we could check he's ok with this being posted here, if you know where to find him? (or if you prefer, just PM me his details and I'll ask him).

Cheers
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Re:

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:54 pm

sp3ctre wrote:Rick, any chance we could check he's ok with this being posted here, if you know where to find him? (or if you prefer, just PM me his details and I'll ask him).
Cheers
He actually uploaded his lot of DIYs on ZPost (yeah... I know... :stoppimping: ) :?
Maybe we can recruit him over to this forum? :D

We should acknowledge his work in any case (maybe mention name in thread title?) or delete it until he's agreed to let us host it? Just thinking respect...
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

templed

Re: Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Post by templed » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:17 pm

I agree with Rick,

If the author is confirmed, then let's add their name to title if they're o.k. with it.

I hope there's no foul here, as I was just trying to share the info I had on hand. I do apologize to the author if they are against having their work posted here.
'05 Z4 3.0i, olivine green, 6 speed man., sport package, M seats, CDV mod, BMW strut brace, H&R rear sway bar, clutch-stop, non-RFTs!!!

gwatson

Re: Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Post by gwatson » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Nice one.

Get some Royal Purple gearbox fluid in there and you'll notice a big difference in smoothness and speed of gear changes.

http://www.royalpurple.co.uk/motorsport/

Graeme
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0