Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 2.0 SE Roadster

First port of call for new members
Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW Z4 2.0 SE Roadster

Post by Adamski » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm surprised no one has rocked up and told you to buy an M :lol: We are a power hungry forum :driving:

Test drive a few variants is my best advice. You'll soon know which is most to your liking. Definitely worth trying a few before you buy. For some the 2.0 is fine. Others will always want more power.

Good luck with your search :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

stlymch

Post by stlymch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:18 pm

The 2.0i is a great engine. I've done 26k miles in mine and its never missed a beat. I'm selling it, so if you're looking for a low mileage car then give me a shout :)

Mr Chainsaw

Post by Mr Chainsaw » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Some great advice!, many thanks to everyone for your replies.
Have always loved the sleek lines and true sports car look of these cars. Great to hear your opinions on driving experience and reliability....exactly what I was looking for! Will make my mind up after test driving later this week.
Cheers!

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:41 pm

I guess it's the entry level one being the lowest engine and as some assume the lowest spec... does it at least have some toys on it to keep you occupied?

Sounds like a tidy car. Have a good, long test drive and see how it feels. You can't beat that top down sensation at different times of the year!

Perhaps a little movement on the price but as we all know, the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the end of the day!

Good luck!
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Mr Chainsaw

Post by Mr Chainsaw » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:18 pm

After a lot of searching.... finally got the Mrs a Z4 2.2 Roadster. Low mileage for its age and the colour she wanted (Black)
A credit to its former owner, its got quite a few upgrades and is in superb condition for its age. She loves it!.....looking forward to the summer! Thanks for all your advice...much appreciated.

vaillant

Post by vaillant » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi.

I have owned a 2.0 se for 2 half years , no problems except for the engine management light issue which I have just posted about. They are a great little car and reasonably quick, always put premium fuel in them though not supermarket rubbish

sasker

Post by sasker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:04 pm

Mr Chainsaw wrote:Hello everyone
I am considering purchasing a BMW Z4 2.0 SE Roadster in black and would appreciate some advice from anyone who is prepared to share.
Please excuse my ignorance but I have limited knowledge in this field.
This model Z4 is for sale at a local dealer for £7500 on a 2006 plate with 48.5k miles. Bodywork condition is stunning apart from a couple of stone chips on the bonnet. The hood motor has been replaced recently also. He is also offering 12 months warranty, and MOT plus oil and filter service.
Have seen similar nationally with around 78-97k miles for around 5.8k. Would 7k be a reasonable deal for an immaculate car with this low mileage?

Cheers hope to hang around!
The 2.0i is plain and simply gutless. If you want a fairly quick car then it has to be a 3.0i or 3.0si. They are fairly quick and sound much nicer than a horrible 4 pot engine. :thumbsup:
///M 2004 E46 M3 Coupe in Mystic Blue

It's all about the ///M Power

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:24 pm

Obviously sasker speaks from experience. Not sure exactly what experience though.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

Silverfox

Post by Silverfox » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:04 pm

There's nothing gutless with my 4 pot and its more than quick enough on the UK roads :D
2.0i SE, black leather, 108's, Alu stubby, Stainless Steel tail pipe

sasker

Post by sasker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Geezah wrote:Obviously sasker speaks from experience. Not sure exactly what experience though.
Family member has had one for years. Been in it countless times over the years.

Nothing like the sound of a straight 6 either :)
///M 2004 E46 M3 Coupe in Mystic Blue

It's all about the ///M Power

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:35 am

Mr Chainsaw wrote:After a lot of searching.... finally got the Mrs a Z4 2.2 Roadster. Low mileage for its age and the colour she wanted (Black)
A credit to its former owner, its got quite a few upgrades and is in superb condition for its age. She loves it!.....looking forward to the summer! Thanks for all your advice...much appreciated.
Hi and welcome. Everyone seems so intent on continuing the 4 pot/ 6 pot debate they have forgotten to nag you for pictures of new new car - so consider yourself nagged now! :D

Enjoy :driving:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 am

Why have the same debate ,every time someone decides they want something less than an M

If everyone bought an M the M would not be as special as it is.

If all M owners convinced all new Z buyers to buy the 4 pot then 3.0 and M models would increase in value .

So all you buyers out there ,you go buy the 2.0

Its individual choice ,whatever you choose enjoy it,
Whatever car you drive someone will have more powwweerrrr than you .
Sit back relax enjoy the ride :driving: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ps ,yes I would love an M. :poke:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Mr Chainsaw

Post by Mr Chainsaw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi
Many thanks for all your replies.....and the subtle hints for photos!
New to all this Photobucket lark so hope this works....will upload more when finished work for the weekend.
As I mentioned previously this was a present for my wife so I had it suitably bedecked and waiting on the drive to surprise her.
Interesting comments on the 4 / 6 cylinder debate. have driven The 2.0l 4 cyl and now the 2.2l 6 Cyl which is the car I bought...so l'll be able to make up my own mind.
Brilliant forum with a wealth of information BTW. Look forward to contributing.

Last edited by Mr Chainsaw on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:49 pm

2.2. Well done! Good choice and I am sure you and your wife will enjoy a run out somewhere over the weekend hopefully with the top down and can admire the Zed over a drink!

They are lovely machines with real character so I am sure you will grow to love it!

:driving:
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:52 pm

sasker wrote:
The 2.0i is plain and simply gutless. If you want a fairly quick car then it has to be a 3.0i or 3.0si. They are fairly quick and sound much nicer than a horrible 4 pot engine. :thumbsup:
I'm so pleased to see the 2.0 litre brigade speaking up for this version of the Zed. There's still some engine prejudice to be found on this forum and it's mis-placed. Having owned both a 2.0 litre and 3.0si I can tell you on the road, the driver makes all the difference and we have some very handy drivers who own 2.0 litres - it's not all about absolute flat out acceleration - they carry corner speed just as well as any other Zed. Those that know, know. . . .
And I liked the sound of my 'horrible' 4 pot, especially where it spent most of it's life, at high revs - smooth and free revving - magic. I also love my 3.0si - a real sense of occasion driving it and a fabulous noise but it doesn't diminish the capabilities and fun had with my previous, capable 2.0i sport.

OP - Love how you presented your new Zed to your wife - she's a very lucky lady! Will be interested to hear how you get on with it :thumbsup:

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.