Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Owner

First port of call for new members
bagginsludomax

New Owner

Post by bagginsludomax » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Massive thanks to enuff_zed - DISA valve replaced and vanos successfully overhauled!! Can absolutely feel the difference already!!
Snapchat-1808640540.jpg
Snapchat-1808640540.jpg (212.9 KiB) Viewed 240 times
20210921_134132.jpg
20210921_134132.jpg (273.99 KiB) Viewed 240 times
20210921_102616.jpg
20210921_102616.jpg (141.8 KiB) Viewed 240 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am

bagginsludomax wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:48 pm Massive thanks to enuff_zed - DISA valve replaced and vanos successfully overhauled!! Can absolutely feel the difference already!!

Snapchat-1808640540.jpg
20210921_134132.jpg
20210921_102616.jpg
Excellent news. Glad you can feel the difference already. Still think you'll notice it get even smoother as a few miles build up.
Of course that's just the vanos. The Disa is merely preventing future catastrophe.

I can't take all the credit really though. When I did my first one it was Stuart (bigwinn) there on the end of the phone if I needed help.

How easy did you find it for the vanos to clear the studs?
I have to do my 2.2i in the next week or two. When I did wifey's 2.5i I was doing water pump, thermostat, belts etc at the same time, so i jacked the engine up a bit for clearance.
Would be nice if i didn't have to do that this time around.
From talking to Stuart it seems each car varies slightly, probably due to slight differences in mounting tolerances?

Now then, about those titchy wheels :poke: :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bagginsludomax

New Owner

Post by bagginsludomax » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am How easy did you find it for the vanos to clear the studs?
I have to do my 2.2i in the next week or two. When I did wifey's 2.5i I was doing water pump, thermostat, belts etc at the same time, so i jacked the engine up a bit for clearance.
From talking to Stuart it seems each car varies slightly, probably due to slight differences in mounting tolerances?

The vanos was a bit of a nightmare on the studs - The only issue was an electrical connector in the way. It did end up moving just enough for it to come off. Putting it back on was far far easier. The actual metal bulkhead in front wasn't an issue at all. There was JUST enough room. So i had no need to move the engine. I'll take the cover off and post a photo of the space in front of the vanos later on! Hopefully it'll be the same as in your 2.2!

I'll have to save up! When i first ding this set I'll have the motivation to take the hit! Bigger wheels means lower profile tyres too? - my experience with those on my old corsa is that i blow out the side wall of one of them every few months!! Clearly i'm rubbish at dodging pot holes! I just had to put new rear tyres on too thanks to a nail - once again i am unable to fix it cheap thanks to the run flats. The first time i haven't blown a side wall and of course, I have run flats.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:10 pm

bagginsludomax wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am How easy did you find it for the vanos to clear the studs?

The vanos was a bit of a nightmare on the studs - The only issue was an electrical connector in the way. It did end up moving just enough for it to come off. Putting it back on was far far easier. The actual metal bulkhead in front wasn't an issue at all. There was JUST enough room. So i had no need to move the engine. I'll take the cover off and post a photo of the space in front of the vanos later on! Hopefully it'll be the same as in your 2.2!

I'll have to save up! When i first ding this set I'll have the motivation to take the hit! Bigger wheels means lower profile tyres too? - my experience with those on my old corsa is that i blow out the side wall of one of them every few months!! Clearly i'm rubbish at dodging pot holes! I just had to put new rear tyres on too thanks to a nail - once again i am unable to fix it cheap thanks to the run flats. The first time i haven't blown a side wall and of course, I have run flats.
Was just a friendly wind up about the wheels :wink:
You'll find those ones are quite comfortable and of course, no point putting shiny new ones on just in time for the roads to get salted.

Don't worry about taking photos, it's no great shakes tbh, though I appreciate the offer..
Sounds like I'll easily do it without moving too much. Will be the first time I've done the job in isolation from other work.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: