Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi 2.2L mods?

First port of call for new members
skrrt

Hi 2.2L mods?

Post by skrrt » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:26 am

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on this forum ever since I decided I wanted to buy a z4. I'm looking at a 2005 2.2l auto at the moment as this would be my first car ever :D

I was wondering if it's possible to do a backbox delete on this and if it is even worth it considering it's an auto?

brillomaster

Hi 2.2L mods?

Post by brillomaster » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:54 am

don't see why not. you wont see any power improvements, but you'll certainly get more straight six noise. a simple backbox delete will likely be pretty droney at lowish rpms, so consider that if its a daily driver and you'll also have an auto box keen to shift into higher gears too.

also - why an auto for your first car? autos are fine and all, but a z4 is a drivers car really, you'd be missing out on some of the involvement if you have it change gear for you.

skrrt

Hi 2.2L mods?

Post by skrrt » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:25 am

thanks for the reply :) I know that manuals are the way to go but I don't know how to drive one ( I've been watching youtube tutorials and I'm planning to practice) so I was thinking I can upgrade to a manual 3.0 in the near future.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hi 2.2L mods?

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:54 pm

skrrt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:25 am thanks for the reply :) I know that manuals are the way to go but I don't know how to drive one ( I've been watching youtube tutorials and I'm planning to practice) so I was thinking I can upgrade to a manual 3.0 in the near future.
Hello?
Are you not in the UK then? Assume if you were then you'd either have passed on a manual and would therefore know how to drive one, or passed on an auto, in which case you'd not legally be allowed to drive a manual anyway.

Anyway, my wife rives an auto 2,5i and I am tidying up a 2.2i manual.
The manual does give a few pops when I lift of, so a backbox mod would probably accentuate that.
However, the only way I can get any pops from the auto is to move the selector over to 'manual', run it up to higher revs then lift off.
Just to get a bit of noise, its a silly way to manage it and probably costs more in fuel.
So from my limited experience I'd say don't bother if you have to buy an auto.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Hi 2.2L mods?

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:54 pm Hello?
Are you not in the UK then? Assume if you were then you'd either have passed on a manual and would therefore know how to drive one, or passed on an auto, in which case you'd not legally be allowed to drive a manual anyway.
Hello and welcome, +1 to the above, just he beat me to asking it.

Depending upon your answer if you can only drive an auto why not miss out the 2.2 step and just go for a 3.0 auto?

If you really decide you want a manual by whatever method is required you will most likely shift the 3.0 on easier than the 2.2 when it comes to resale time :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

brillomaster

Hi 2.2L mods?

Post by brillomaster » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 pm

guessing insurance might be an issue going straight to a 3.0?

WOOO 1000th post! i'll give you a 'senior member' :telloff:

skrrt

Hi 2.2L mods?

Post by skrrt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:16 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm enuff_zed wrote: ↑
    Hello?
    Hello and welcome, +1 to the above, just he beat me to asking it.

Depending upon your answer if you can only drive an auto why not miss out the 2.2 step and just go for a 3.0 auto?

If you really decide you want a manual by whatever method is required you will most likely shift the 3.0 on easier than the 2.2 when it comes to resale time :thumbsup:
    thanks for the responses!
    I'm from New Zealand so yeah! I have been looking at a 3.0 auto as well but not sure how about the fuel efficiency tbh. i think insurance shouldn't be too bad so ill still consider it as an option.