Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie looking for a 35i or M40i

First port of call for new members
The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:33 am

Hello,

Been looking at a new (to me) convertible..looks like I've missed the boat summer wise and price wise.

Previously had a TVR Chimera, A Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, Jaguar XKR and latterly a 911 Carrera 4S.

Miss the fun of a toy so back in the market.

Disappointed with what's available, turned my attention to Beemers now.

So after much searching looking at either a 35i and maybe do some upgrades to it or a M40i (second hand).

I'm not prepared to wait for a new car so will take the plunge and suck it and see.

Can always move on to something else.

I work for an agency (government) so I sometimes cannot respond if I'm on the job, although usually I can see internet traffic.

Looking at a few car trips and meets..abroad next year is a priority as are a few tours of Wales and Scotland.
Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:49 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum “Mr Bond”, great plan for infiltrating Europe and that other foreign country as part of an enthusiasts road trip :wink: :D
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:39 pm

Hello Chippie, yes quite so..although my journeys work wise take me to more sandy locations..virtually.
Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:56 pm

Hello and welcome t the forum, great choice of cars.

Her is a 35iS from a forum member - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=131222

Do you have a budget (although pretty healthy if an M40i) or must haves?
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 pm

Fun search. Welcome and good luck.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 pm

Hello and welcome, if you’re looking for a very clean, late year 35iS, low mileage, fbmwsh, 1 owner it might be worth getting in touch with ronk, and see if you can convince him to sell his. He’s sitting on the bloody fence about ordering a new one so hasn’t committed to selling his yet :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 pm Hello and welcome, if you’re looking for a very clean, late year 35iS, low mileage, fbmwsh, 1 owner it might be worth getting in touch with ronk, and see if you can convince him to sell his. He’s sitting on the bloody fence about ordering a new one so hasn’t committed to selling his yet :lol:
    His arse must be full of splinters by now, must have the worlds widest fence :rofl:
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:09 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 pm Hello and welcome, if you’re looking for a very clean, late year 35iS, low mileage, fbmwsh, 1 owner it might be worth getting in touch with ronk, and see if you can convince him to sell his. He’s sitting on the bloody fence about ordering a new one so hasn’t committed to selling his yet :lol:
    His arse must be full of splinters by now, must have the worlds widest fence :rofl:
    He’s worried if he buys a new one he’ll have nothing to do all day as currently he sits and counts his money to pass the time :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:11 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:09 pm
      Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 pm
      He’s worried if he buys a new one he’ll have nothing to do all day as currently he sits and counts his money to pass the time :lol:
      Well he can run back and fore Western Union and send me some money, I will help him spend it - that should keep him occupied :rofl:

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:48 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:56 pm Hello and welcome t the forum, great choice of cars.

Her is a 35iS from a forum member - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=131222

Do you have a budget (although pretty healthy if an M40i) or must haves?
      I think upto 20,000 for a 35i depending on condition age mileage options.

Upto 40,000 for a M40i.

Colour wise I like strong colours so red and orange are on my list.

I've had dark blue, light blue, racing green and black so time for a change.

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:51 am

I think I can disclose that splinter man was very fast of the mark in an offer.

The well specced car is not in my preferred colour palette.

So without betraying any confidentiality I suspect he will continue to receive regular pinus infusions.

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:55 am

The.Analyst wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:33 am so I sometimes cannot respond if I'm on the job,
      I don't think anyone can :lol:

Welcome 'P', BTW.
      All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
      Mazda3 sold
      Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:17 am

The.Analyst wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:51 am
      I think I can disclose that splinter man was very fast of the mark in an offer.

The well specced car is not in my preferred colour palette.

So without betraying any confidentiality I suspect he will continue to receive regular pinus infusions.
      IMO, it’ll be one of the best to come to the market when it does. Ron’s problem is that because his is so unique he’s in a quandary about letting it go. I think if he could secure a sale there would be no fence sitting, the order for the M40i would be made instantly.

I completely get the colour choice an had a VO 35iS recently. When deciding on the colour of the M40i that’s why we picked Misano Blue as it really pops, particularly in the sun. We personally didn’t feel the red did.

Budget wise and with the current market, imo you’ll struggle to find a nice VO in your £20k budget. One of the only one I know for sale just now is £27k which is overpriced, but it’s not £7K over. Red may be easier to locate but I haven’t seen many of them for sale either. I have been keeping a very close eye on the M40i market also and I can’t recall an M40i sub £40k for quite a considerable time and the ones just on the top side of that are frequently low spec’d and/or higher mileage. You’d be astonished by the amount of M40i’s with just the comfort pack. I was told by the dealer it was a common thing to keep the pcp payments low.

Good luck with your search and either model will put a smile on your face. Having experience them back to back there’s definitely improvements made in the M40i and the handling is considerably improved from the standard E89 set up :thumbsup:

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Andy

Thank you for the advice.

I appreciate the market is inflated but I think there will be some people willing to be more flexible / less ambitious.

The M40i seems to be a non starter given prices, lack of decent colours and BMW restricting production.

I've driven a couple of 35i and 35is and the handling is wayward..with the cash I would save maybe a few grand on LSD, decent suspension and so on may help.

The search continues.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:17 am I have been keeping a very close eye on the M40i market also and I can’t recall an M40i sub £40k for quite a considerable time and the ones just on the top side of that are frequently low spec’d and/or higher mileage. You’d be astonished by the amount of M40i’s with just the comfort pack. I was told by the dealer it was a common thing to keep the pcp payments low.
        Looks like with the popularity of PCP poorly specced cars are going to be the norm whereas in the past a good portion of premium car buyers would spec it well particularly as poorly specced cars were harder to shift. Not so good news for second hand car buyers for the future then. :thumbsdown:
        2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red