Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Currently Between Z4s

First port of call for new members
blaster1956

Currently Between Z4s

Post by blaster1956 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Afternoon All, Newbie Alert!

I've just sold my 2016 E89 2.0 mSport taking advantage of the crazy second hand prices at the moment (Selling for just £500 less than I paid for it over 3 years ago!). I placed an order for a new G29 20i mSport in Misano Blue a few weeks ago, but as of yet the order hasn't been accepted by the factory so I have no idea of potential build/delivery timescales. Any insight from members who have recently placed orders as to what the current lead times are?

I'm also in a bit of a quandary as to whether to upgrade my order to a 30i (or maybe even an M40i !!), perversely the longer the lead time, the more likely I could afford the M40i !!

cheers
G29 M40i - Misano Blue - since February 2022
E89 sDrive 20i M Sport - Sapphire Black - Sold August 2021
E89 sDrive 20i Roadster - Crimson Red - Sold 2018
E85 2.0i Sport - Stratus Grey - Sold 2014

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Not sure about the lead times for the 20/30’s but an M40i ordered now you’d be unlikely to see this side of Easter if not longer from my last conversation with the dealer about a new order for one.

They reckon the only way it would be quicker is if a dealer already has a stock/unsold slot secured

Oh and hello and welcome :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:56 pm

I test drove a 20, coming from a 718 Boxster, and decided I could live with the hp.

So I bought the 30, just to be sure.
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

blaster1956

Currently Between Z4s

Post by blaster1956 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Easter - ouch, that would be a long long wait! - I naively assumed wait times for all three models would be about the same, current best estimate from the dealer is October for the 20i order but I’m not confident.

Scubareg - I was looking at a 718 before I ordered the Z4, how are you finding the 30i in comparison?

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:55 pm

blaster1956 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:46 pm Easter - ouch, that would be a long long wait! - I naively assumed wait times for all three models would be about the same, current best estimate from the dealer is October for the 20i order but I’m not confident
    Is that a brand new too your spec build? If so I’d say October is more than optimistic unless they already have the build slot, which going by your first post they don’t.

The factory is closed for a month partly due to the lack of availability of computer chips.

There’s at least one member on here who originally had a build date of the end of August/1st week in September. The latest on that is last week October/1st week November. That car was ordered about 8 weeks ago iirc.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

blaster1956

Currently Between Z4s

Post by blaster1956 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:05 pm

Yep that is a new build based on my spec, they don’t have a current build slot.

Based on your feedback it’s lucky I don’t drive my Z’s too much over the winter then!!

Think I’ll take up knitting while I wait.

Scubaregs
      Lifer
      Lifer

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:20 pm

I bought the 718 as a 55th birthday present to myself and it fulfilled a lifelong dream for me. It was also the first ever new car I'd owned. I ran a second car beside it, I do around 12,000 pa on a work commute so was not putting that mileage on a Porsche. The car was sold as we were looking at purchasing property abroad, however we have postponed that for the time being.

I loved it, but it was only getting used for one trip out of each cycle of four for work, picking up my fiancée, odd trip to shops and an odd drive for pleasure. My fiancée is happy enough being in the car whilst I'm "making good progress" if it's on a straight, but not at all in the twisties and that is where the 718 excelled. Also, as a biker of 41 years (currently a BMW S1000R Sport) it is the bike I use for pleasure if solo.

So, along with looking at property, part of the reason for selling was that it was out of warranty in June and would have been due a major service next June and between them that was over £2,000 just to keep the car another year, before actual running costs and it was very hard to justify that for the use it was getting.

To answer your question though, sorry for the long winded intro, I will give my opinion on the two cars.

Looks, Porsche edges it for me, pic of my old 718 below.
      Handling. Absolutely no contest, Porsche hands down.
      Servicing/maintenance/parts. BMW is definitely cheaper, from what I've seen so far 4 years with the Z4 for servicing is a third of the cost.
      Running costs. Same for both on VED/Insurance. Z4 will give me high 40's, at motorway speeds on the work commute, 718 high 30's.
      Performance, not really fair to compare, 718 lighter and more hp.
      Cabin/comfort. Z4 by a country mile. Cabin is more spacious/luxurious, seats are more comfortable, dash is better as is info screen and media.
      Kudos factor, hate to be a snob but liked saying when asked, that I had a Porsche. :oops:

In summary, having owned both, they are very different cars imo. The M40i would be a better comparison. For me I now have a car that is a more relaxed, refined place to cruise, has more tech goodies in the cabin, costs me less in servicing, repairs, parts and petrol but still has more than enough power for the road.
      Other two benefits are my Fiancée Lynn is more relaxed in the car and, because I'm hoping to retire in 2 years, I get to drive it every day.

The Z4 is far better suited to us than the 718 and I'm enjoying having the use of it every day.

Take some time to think of what you want your Z4 for, a 20i may well be perfectly suitable, after test driving one I could happily have lived with it for what I need in a car.
      You mentioned the M40i, more power, different engine, higher servicing/running costs. May be perfect for you, depends on what you want from the car, how you intend to use it etc.

Hope this helped lol, this was my 718.
      E4E293F9-AB6D-456A-9E87-ACC5156FBCE7_1_105_c.jpeg
      E4E293F9-AB6D-456A-9E87-ACC5156FBCE7_1_105_c.jpeg (202.04 KiB) Viewed 742 times
      Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
      Image Image

Pbondar

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:29 pm

The 20i version is a bit flaccid..IMHO…when I test driove it but..like the E89 N20s the 30i is just a re-mapped 20i… :thumbsup:

The 30i is a great balance of power and chassis IMHO

So you could re-map a 20i to get 30i performance but invalid your warranty or pay a lot more for a 30i ..normal market assumptions.. :tumbleweed:

The 30i is quite a good performer more than adequate..of course the M40i is there for those who have excess cash / need the speed / cause I can / small appendages/ delete as appropriate :thumbsup: :rofl:

The M40i is much better than a 35is handling wise FWIW..again IMHO

blaster1956

Currently Between Z4s

Post by blaster1956 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:13 pm

I know what you mean about the 20i, the reason I’m having doubts is that it didn’t feel much of an upgrade from my E89 2.0 mSport, whereas I think the 30i (which I’m yet do test drive) definitely would be.

Trying to figure out how many of the reasons in your list for getting an M40i I would tick!

blaster1956

Currently Between Z4s

Post by blaster1956 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:20 pm I bought the 718 as a 55th birthday present to myself and it fulfilled a lifelong dream for me. It was also the first ever new car I'd owned. I ran a second car beside it, I do around 12,000 pa on a work commute so was not putting that mileage on a Porsche. The car was sold as we were looking at purchasing property abroad, however we have postponed that for the time being.

I loved it, but it was only getting used for one trip out of each cycle of four for work, picking up my fiancée, odd trip to shops and an odd drive for pleasure. My fiancée is happy enough being in the car whilst I'm "making good progress" if it's on a straight, but not at all in the twisties and that is where the 718 excelled. Also, as a biker of 41 years (currently a BMW S1000R Sport) it is the bike I use for pleasure if solo.

So, along with looking at property, part of the reason for selling was that it was out of warranty in June and would have been due a major service next June and between them that was over £2,000 just to keep the car another year, before actual running costs and it was very hard to justify that for the use it was getting.

To answer your question though, sorry for the long winded intro, I will give my opinion on the two cars.

Looks, Porsche edges it for me, pic of my old 718 below.
      Handling. Absolutely no contest, Porsche hands down.
      Servicing/maintenance/parts. BMW is definitely cheaper, from what I've seen so far 4 years with the Z4 for servicing is a third of the cost.
      Running costs. Same for both on VED/Insurance. Z4 will give me high 40's, at motorway speeds on the work commute, 718 high 30's.
      Performance, not really fair to compare, 718 lighter and more hp.
      Cabin/comfort. Z4 by a country mile. Cabin is more spacious/luxurious, seats are more comfortable, dash is better as is info screen and media.
      Kudos factor, hate to be a snob but liked saying when asked, that I had a Porsche. :oops:

In summary, having owned both, they are very different cars imo. The M40i would be a better comparison. For me I now have a car that is a more relaxed, refined place to cruise, has more tech goodies in the cabin, costs me less in servicing, repairs, parts and petrol but still has more than enough power for the road.
      Other two benefits are my Fiancée Lynn is more relaxed in the car and, because I'm hoping to retire in 2 years, I get to drive it every day.

The Z4 is far better suited to us than the 718 and I'm enjoying having the use of it every day.

Take some time to think of what you want your Z4 for, a 20i may well be perfectly suitable, after test driving one I could happily have lived with it for what I need in a car.
      You mentioned the M40i, more power, different engine, higher servicing/running costs. May be perfect for you, depends on what you want from the car, how you intend to use it etc.

Hope this helped lol, this was my 718.

E4E293F9-AB6D-456A-9E87-ACC5156FBCE7_1_105_c.jpeg
      Thanks for this Scubaregs. Appreciate your time in detailing the comparisons, lots of food for thought, and it seems like I have lots of time to think about which one to go for!

Pbondar

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:23 pm

blaster1956 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:13 pm I know what you mean about the 20i, the reason I’m having doubts is that it didn’t feel much of an upgrade from my E89 2.0 mSport, whereas I think the 30i (which I’m yet do test drive) definitely would be.

Trying to figure out how many of the reasons in your list for getting an M40i I would tick!
      Send me a photo and answer my in-depth psychological survey and then I can answer that! :rofl:

I have a re-mapped and tweaked E89 20i and the G29 20i went down as lack lustre.. :thumbsdown:

As I said it very very easy to tweak the 20i with tools like BM3 and with that guy can set it back to stock for the dealer do they may suspect but can’t prove you tweaked it..

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:45 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:29 pm The 30i is quite a good performer more than adequate..of course the M40i is there for those who have the need for speed, delete as appropriate

The M40i is much better than a 35is handling wise
      I’ve completed your survey :wink:

And yes it definitely does handle better than a stock 35iS :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:47 pm

blaster1956 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:13 pm I know what you mean about the 20i, the reason I’m having doubts is that it didn’t feel much of an upgrade from my E89 2.0 mSport, whereas I think the 30i (which I’m yet do test drive) definitely would be.

In terms of equity you’d need to try the M40i too :driving:

Pbondar

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:52 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:45 pm
          Pbondar wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:29 pm The 30i is quite a good performer more than adequate..of course the M40i is there for those who have the need for speed, delete as appropriate

The M40i is much better than a 35is handling wise
          I’ve completed your survey :wink:

And yes it definitely does handle better than a stock 35iS :thumbsup:
          Andy I’ve reviewed your survey and suggest you visit either a horse breeder or a gynaecologist :thumbsup: :rofl:

I’m glad we concur on the M40i and 35is… :thumbsup:

That 35is is a great motorway cruiser but more than a bit of a jelly in the corners.. :thumbsdown:

Pity the M40i is still ugly ..but I am getting to like it more with a few more bottles of Shiraz..

Mr Tidy
          Legend
          Legend

Currently Between Z4s

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:06 pm

Welcome aboard anyway blaster. :thumbsup:

Shame you are currently zedless, but at least that will hopefully get rectified - even if not too soon!

In your situation if I could afford a 40i I just wouldn't be able to stop myself ordering a 40i. :lol:
          Coupes because stunning!
          Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
          Gone - Montego Blue
          Gone - Ruby Black