Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Firs Post

First port of call for new members
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Firs Post

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:55 pm

The expansion tank is renowned for getting hairline cracks that are almost invisible, open up when the coolant gets hot and it escapes as steam, so you can't always tell it's there.
Have a good look around that tank and you may see some antifreeze residue.
If its really bad you may see coolant on the undertray, below the expansion tank.
I had the same issue but in fact, when I swapped the tank over it turned out to be the O-ring seal in the base, where it sits onto the lower manifold that had gone hard and was leaking.

Is it auto or manual?
The auto has an oil cooling thermostat in the bottom too. When you lift the expansion tank away the spring inside it can overcome the old brittle plastic and the whole thing whizzes past your ear; many small components in close, but expanding, formation.
So if it's an auto, have a new thermostat to hand too, or like me you're stuck until a new one turns up.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rodderz4

Firs Post

Post by Rodderz4 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:39 am

Many thanks for the response. It is an auto. Ive had a look at the tank and there does appear to be some slight residue so I will get it fixed. Thanks for your help