Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential buyer leery of e89 top issues

First port of call for new members
scowlingtuna

Post by scowlingtuna » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Greetings all,

I've been doing my due diligence and researching all that I can about my next prospective car purchase. I've mostly narrowed it down to either an e85 with the N52, or an e89 30i or 35i (manual trans is a must). However, reading through owners' issues with the folding hardtop on the e89, and its lack of serviceability give me pause. Are the issues not so common, and simply expressed here in the forums, because that is what the forums are for; or are the top issues a common and consistent issue that everyone simply "deals with" because of their love for the car?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:32 pm

If you like the car then you have to live with possible roof issues at some point, It did give me pause going into e89 ownership but I love the look of the car so much I was prepared to take the chance, if it happens it happens and Ill deal with it, issues are common on the forum because people come here when they have issues, I'm sure plenty of owners don't..maybe :D

E85 roof still can have issues but not as potentially expensive..a car that already has the motor in the boot probably won't give you any trouble in your ownership..maybe :lol:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

On the E85s the soft top motor is a very common issue. As such the community has fixes for it that provide future reliability. Certainly there have been issues with folding hard tops on the E89s but nothing like so common. That also means that the fixes are less practiced.

The biggest fundamental difference between the model is how they drive. So I would say go and drive them both and make your decision based on that. :driving: Rather than which is more reliable. There will always be poor examples. However IMHO, they are both very reliable cars in the scheme of things. :thumbsup:

scowlingtuna

Post by scowlingtuna » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:45 pm

I appreciate the replies and the welcomes. I was working under the assumption that the folding hardtop isn't necessarily a common issue, but like stated above, simply expressed in the forum(s). So far I've driven an 06' 3.0 (that was pretty worn, but still fun) and an 09' 30i, that just didn't quite have the same liveliness of the e85 (but looks far better, IMO). I still need to drive the 35i. Once upon a time I owned a very troubled '08 535xi, so I do have an understanding of the engine and its character, but I want to see how that feels in the e89.

Edit: And thanks for even looking at the Newbie forum. I know they're often the least exciting of forums to participate in.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:44 am

Hello and welcome, as Mr Tourette has said many people have no issues with the roof on the the e89 although mine has just started acting up, it microswitches which are £35 and a do-it-yourself job - mine is under warranty.

The e89 is not as lively as the e85 - simple description, e85 is more of a sports car while the e89 is more of a grand tourer but both great cars. :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58 am

Obviously you'll see more problems reported than people who haven't had a problem (I've had 2 e89's both without any roof issues).

its a complex beast so sometimes hard to troubleshoot. Hence I've got BMW warranty to include that and the other things a 35is suffers from. But you can live without it if you have deep pockets, when needed!
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Sorry I can't offer any useful advice as I've only had E86s!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:10 am

I never had any roof issues. It was always someone else's problem.. until 6 months ago. :rofl:

It cost me £1500 for a repair and then another ~£400-£500 to replace various seals, vents and relays.

All is fine now, but be prepared for a potentially large bill if it goes wrong.

Owning a 35i / 35is without warranty scares the living daylights out of me - they have a huge list of things that could (and do) go wrong.

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:41 am

Here for a list of warranty work carried out in the cars 11 year life in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130531
If your going to buy one get it from a BMW dealer(although now may be the wrong time with very strong prices) which will come with AUC 12 months warranty then take out insured warranty after 12 months.
The insured warranty will be cheaper if the car has done less than 60k miles at the time and I believe stays at lower level if you pay monthly (goes up by about 80% from checks I made when looking for car)..
I did buy mine privately but it had been bought by seller about 14 months prior to sale as an approved used car from a Bmw dealer and had monthly insured warranty in place at time of purchase.
Thought I had covered all bases but when took car for insured warranty work the dealer would not consider making a claim under the warranty as key record did not show service done at the time when he purchased the car. The idrive showed next service due 24 months from date of purchase. The owner had left the country, trying to find dealer he purchased it from was extremely difficult. Once found(Sytners Birmingham) it proved difficult to get anyone who would confirm that service had been done and update BMW key record and stamp service book. Fortunately all sorted now.
This is original add for car sale.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=125643&p=1790333&h ... e#p1790333
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 am

I just looked at trying to get a warranty on a 10 year old 35is and seems difficult to get any quotes..reason given car too old..

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:13 am

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 am I just looked at trying to get a warranty on a 10 year old 35is and seems difficult to get any quotes..reason given car too old..
as long as its been under warranty before, I think they will allow it to continue. My previous Z4 was 10 years old, and they continued to cover it.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:35 am

clarker63 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:13 am
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 am I just looked at trying to get a warranty on a 10 year old 35is and seems difficult to get any quotes..reason given car too old..
as long as its been under warranty before, I think they will allow it to continue. My previous Z4 was 10 years old, and they continued to cover it.
Hi the issue is that there was no previous warranty so its a fresh start policy..or maybe not..

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Owned an E85 - the roof motor failed soon into ownership (car was approx 6 yrs old) and needed replacing. It was the 'drowned' motor problem. Owned an E89 - zero issues with the roof in around 3 yrs of ownership (car was between 8 & 10 yrs old during ownership).
Read into that what you will. I will say though that the E89 mechanical issues were far more painful/expensive being the N54 twin turbo. I think I experienced many of the 'common' issues other than the injectors. :( .
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport