Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 - Now a new owner!

First port of call for new members
abzthemanc

Another newbie - Looking for an E85! - buying advice needed

Post by abzthemanc » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:57 am

So have seen another on AT, across the dark side of the m6 2 in Liverpool.. Very tempting as ticks most my boxes..

Seems to have lots of service history and invoices for work so would be keen to examine what's been done as the advert is bit light of details other than roof motor being done recently.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E85 buying advice needed please!

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Looks clean and tidy to me.
The fact it has a new roof motor and it's living in the boot is a massive plus.
To me that would also hint at someone who knew what they were talking about. Casual owners are unlikely to have had that done.
The gizmo ticking out of the centre console implies that someone has been under there, so I'd be looking at the fit of the console and wondering where it's wired to.
I replaced the rear shocks on wifey's 53-plate last month. The state of the originals led me to do the fronts too. They were just as bad. So I'd think about them needing doing too.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm Looks clean and tidy to me.
The fact it has a new roof motor and it's living in the boot is a massive plus.
To me that would also hint at someone who knew what they were talking about. Casual owners are unlikely to have had that done.
The gizmo ticking out of the centre console implies that someone has been under there, so I'd be looking at the fit of the console and wondering where it's wired to.
I replaced the rear shocks on wifey's 53-plate last month. The state of the originals led me to do the fronts too. They were just as bad. So I'd think about them needing doing too.
Cheers mate I am still wondering what that is sticking out next to the gear stick.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 am

abzthemanc wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 pm Cheers mate I am still wondering what that is sticking out next to the gear stick.
Looks like a control for a bluetooth device or similar. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am

Cheers, so what are thoughts on the price? What would you offer? It is above my original budget but dont want to be **** and completely lowball the guy either.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:19 am

abzthemanc wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am Cheers, so what are thoughts on the price? What would you offer? It is above my original budget but dont want to be **** and completely lowball the guy either.
If that’s above your budget how does this one sit? Very similar car on the face of it??

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=130525

Not too far by train to Edinburgh from you?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:19 am
    abzthemanc wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am Cheers, so what are thoughts on the price? What would you offer? It is above my original budget but dont want to be **** and completely lowball the guy either.
    If that’s above your budget how does this one sit? Very similar car on the face of it??

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=130525

Not too far by train to Edinburgh from you?
    Doesn't look bad at all that. Edinburgh is about 3-3.5 hours on the train... certainly doable but a bit of a mission right now, 4 yo and 1 yo keeping me busy!

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:59 pm

At the risk of sounding like an utter noob, I havent bought a 2nd hand car privately before, so whats the crack with test drives? I would assume anyone would want even a very basic test drive up the road to ensure all is in order but obviously you wouldn't want to let just any tom dick or harry drive your car.. how does it work with private sales? What do the good folk on here typically do?

I'm Happy to pay for a cover note etc, as my own insurance would cover me TP only. A test ride as an alternative wouldn't be the worst thing either.

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:44 pm

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:55 pm

abzthemanc wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:44 pm Thoughts on this example?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-3 ... 635-2958-0
    I’d have to say that I would be concerned in person it’ll look like a patchwork quilt with that many different panels painted individually and I already know the passenger door colour would p!ss me off being so different. I don’t even know if the pre/post facelifts used the same colour.

The other thing I noticed is it says it’s had new headlights, they don’t look like a matching pair from the picture. The Orange hockey stick on the passenger side looks more faded/not as bright as the drivers side.

Up to you if can live with these things or if you’re happy to rectify any issues if they’re are like above when you stand in front of it :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Mr Tidy
      Legend
      Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:21 pm

abzthemanc wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:59 pm At the risk of sounding like an utter noob, I havent bought a 2nd hand car privately before, so whats the crack with test drives? I would assume anyone would want even a very basic test drive up the road to ensure all is in order but obviously you wouldn't want to let just any tom dick or harry drive your car.. how does it work with private sales? What do the good folk on here typically do?

I'm Happy to pay for a cover note etc, as my own insurance would cover me TP only. A test ride as an alternative wouldn't be the worst thing either.
      I think it all depends on how it feels on the day! When buyer and seller meet they both get to assess each other and decide from there.

The seller of my 1st E86 wasn't keen to let me drive it, but relented in the end. When I sold it the buyer didn't ask to drive it but I did drive him over 10 miles on different roads in it.

When I bought my 2nd Coupe I turned up in a BMW E46 325ti Compact and the seller decided to let me drive it on DOC cover with the understanding that if I bent it I'd bought it!

When I sold it I decided both potential buyers looked sensible enough to let them drive it with DOC cover, and the 2nd one bought it! He got 1-day cover to take it home to Wales before he left.

I looked at 2 MCs before I bought the 3rd. First let me drive it on DOC, but not far as it was SORN'd and there were cameras! 2nd was a trader so I got 20 minutes or so on my own and 3rd let me drive 4 or 5 miles with the seller in the passenger seat but then he was keen to sell.

I'm not sure I'd want anyone to drive my MC unless I was holding the cash or they had evidence of Comprehensive cover, but as it's a keeper I hope I never have to make that call.

For cheaper cars I'm not so bothered. I let the buyer of my E46 325ti drive it on DOC cover, and the buyer of it's replacement E91 325i. The previous owner of the 325i let me do the same when I bought it, as did the seller of my current E90 330i.
      Coupes because stunning!
      Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
      Gone - Montego Blue
      Gone - Ruby Black

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:22 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:55 pm
      abzthemanc wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:44 pm Thoughts on this example?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-3 ... 635-2958-0
      I’d have to say that I would be concerned in person it’ll look like a patchwork quilt with that many different panels painted individually and I already know the passenger door colour would p!ss me off being so different. I don’t even know if the pre/post facelifts used the same colour.

The other thing I noticed is it says it’s had new headlights, they don’t look like a matching pair from the picture. The Orange hockey stick on the passenger side looks more faded/not as bright as the drivers side.

Up to you if can live with these things or if you’re happy to rectify any issues if they’re are like above when you stand in front of it :thumbsup:
      Appreciate the Eagle eyed observations!

The door colour matching is my main concern.. I reckon I could live with the bumpers if to a certain degree of difference and I hadn't really noticed the headlight difference till you mentioned it (great spot). Spoke to seller and he said there been some paint bubbling /rust on the door hence the swap.

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:27 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:21 pm
      abzthemanc wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:59 pm At the risk of sounding like an utter noob, I havent bought a 2nd hand car privately before, so whats the crack with test drives? I would assume anyone would want even a very basic test drive up the road to ensure all is in order but obviously you wouldn't want to let just any tom dick or harry drive your car.. how does it work with private sales? What do the good folk on here typically do?

I think it all depends on how it feels on the day! When buyer and seller meet they both get to assess each other and decide from there.

The seller of my 1st E86 wasn't keen to let me drive it, but relented in the end. When I sold it the buyer didn't ask to drive it but I did drive him over 10 miles on different roads in it.

When I bought my 2nd Coupe I turned up in a BMW E46 325ti Compact and the seller decided to let me drive it on DOC cover with the understanding that if I bent it I'd bought it!

When I sold it I decided both potential buyers looked sensible enough to let them drive it with DOC cover, and the 2nd one bought it! He got 1-day cover to take it home to Wales before he left.

I looked at 2 MCs before I bought the 3rd. First let me drive it on DOC, but not far as it was SORN'd and there were cameras! 2nd was a trader so I got 20 minutes or so on my own and 3rd let me drive 4 or 5 miles with the seller in the passenger seat but then he was keen to sell.

I'm not sure I'd want anyone to drive my MC unless I was holding the cash or they had evidence of Comprehensive cover, but as it's a keeper I hope I never have to make that call.

For cheaper cars I'm not so bothered. I let the buyer of my E46 325ti drive it on DOC cover, and the buyer of it's replacement E91 325i. The previous owner of the 325i let me do the same when I bought it, as did the seller of my current E90 330i.
      That all makes good sense. I'll only be wanting to drive a car that I'm genuinely keen on, and I do have Doc third party cover so hopefully it just works out!

abzthemanc

Post by abzthemanc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am

So finally biting the bullet, if all is as expected and no discrepancies, I shall be purchasing a Z4 this Sunday!

Feels a bit strange buying in this day and age with a large wad of cash, would have much preferred a bank transfer but sellers request. Anything to watch out for other than usual common sense when holding a large sum of money?

Do you guys get a receipt of sorts when purchasing a car privately?

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:34 am

abzthemanc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am So finally biting the bullet, if all is as expected and no discrepancies, I shall be purchasing a Z4 this Sunday!

Feels a bit strange buying in this day and age with a large wad of cash, would have much preferred a bank transfer but sellers request. Anything to watch out for other than usual common sense when holding a large sum of money?

Do you guys get a receipt of sorts when purchasing a car privately?
      Not sure I'd be overly happy carrying a wad of cash about but long as it's not a crazy amount it's ok I guess. Probably worried about bank transfer not going through immediately which has been known.

Yup get a receipt. Can print out a template from various places but blank bit of paper hand written will be fine. In essence, you want vehicle reg, VIN, make / model, mileage, name address of buyer / seller and declaration the amount of money received in full for purchase of said vehicle. Both sign at the bottom, job done. Just copy the info from the V5.

You don't have to of course, but remember V5 isn't proof of ownership and without a receipt there is technically no proof you own the car should a problem arise.
      Last edited by AndyBeech on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
      Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!