Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starting the journey!

First port of call for new members
Timmy T

Starting the journey!

Post by Timmy T » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 am

First post and at the very start of the journey! The folks on a FB group pointed me this way, so some may have seen this already! Anyway, always hankered after a soft top and loved the look of the Z4 for years, then, out of the blue, Mrs T says “Go on then, treat yourself!” Totally gobsmacked 🤩

So where do I start with a budget of around £10k? What should I be looking for? It won’t be our main car and I’m not looking for track day thrills or hoofing it around. I’ve watched a few YouTube vids, read a few articles, and there appears to be pros and cons for both the older soft top and newer convertible. However, I do like the idea of a hardtop for the winter, although the associated drop in boot space is a con! Engine wise, I’m not a speed freak and am not interested in tuning/modding etc, so feel the smaller engines may be ok for what I need.

Any thoughts?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:01 pm

Depending on exactly what you want, eg. mileage, colour, engine, spec etc
For your money you could get this
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=130087
At the moment there are not many 23i models on autotrader and all under £10k are SE models.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

£10k at the moment in the e89 is an SE only but give it 3 month and you may find an MSport, we have had a guy looking for months to get an MSport at that budget but he is in Norfolk so struggling for choice.

The boot can still take a few small soft bags with the roof down.

The 23i is fast enough but others will tell you its slow - just depends on how you want to drive.

Good luck with the search :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Timmy T

Starting the journey!

Post by Timmy T » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:16 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:11 pm £10k at the moment in the e89 is an SE only
I really am at the start of this process, is there an issue with the SE?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:47 pm

Timmy T wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:16 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:11 pm £10k at the moment in the e89 is an SE only
I really am at the start of this process, is there an issue with the SE?
Nothing at all - some prefer it as it has softer suspension, performance is the same, its just visual differences, front / rear bumpers, sport seats, msport steering wheel and gear knob and not much else but it is worth more.

The only thing you should have is heated seats to use the car on cold crisp days :thumbsup:
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

PointedMarlin

Starting the journey!

Post by PointedMarlin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi & welcome,

Can I suggest you make a list of non negotiables.

For example: Soft top, under 75k miles, Automatic, Heated Seats.
Or
Hard top, Under 35k miles, Parking Sensors, IDrive, etc

It refined things so much for me as I had things I needed due & wanted. Once you do that it allows you to understand what is good value for your needs/wants as I had things I needed to have & that discounts a lot of cars straight away

Once the guys here know, they are a knowledgeable bunch & will assist wherever possible

Another top tip is keep an eye on the “Market Watch” threads as cars are discussed there that you might gain useful information from - usually Auto Trader ads

Good luck with the search

Timmy T

Starting the journey!

Post by Timmy T » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:14 pm

PointedMarlin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm Another top tip is keep an eye on the “Market Watch” threads as cars are discussed there that you might gain useful information from - usually Auto Trader ads
Sorry, but navigating these forums is not a great skill of mine! Where do I find this? 😀👍

iiNNeX

Starting the journey!

Post by iiNNeX » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:19 pm

Timmy T wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:14 pm
PointedMarlin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm Another top tip is keep an eye on the “Market Watch” threads as cars are discussed there that you might gain useful information from - usually Auto Trader ads
Sorry, but navigating these forums is not a great skill of mine! Where do I find this? 😀👍
Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87737
'07 E85 Z4 2.5Si Sport Individual - Manual - Build Journal - Now gone
Ruby Black / Champagne Extended Nappa

PointedMarlin

Starting the journey!

Post by PointedMarlin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:28 pm

These are a few that I’ve found using the search function but you’ll notice as & when people update & post in them as it raises the thread to the top of the section

E89 Market watch
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87737

E85/86 Market Watch 3.0l Coupe
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78216&hilit=Market+watch

E85/86 Market Watch M specific
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73487&hilit=Market+watch

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:31 pm

PointedMarlin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:28 pm These are a few that I’ve found using the search function but you’ll notice as & when people update & post in them as it raises the thread to the top of the section

E89 Market watch
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87737

E85/86 Market Watch 3.0l Coupe
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78216&hilit=Market+watch

E85/86 Market Watch M specific
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73487&hilit=Market+watch
I think the easiest way for a newbie is, once you've read these the first time, go to the 'unread posts' tab, top right and select it.
Then select 'Mark all as read'. This will completely clear every post - don't worry you'll soon work out how to search for stuff you want.
Then every time you come to the forum, select 'unread posts' which will show all the new entries since you were last here.
Read the ones you want, then repeat the 'mark all as read' to clear the list, ready for your next visit.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

JHW666

Starting the journey!

Post by JHW666 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Timmy T wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 am First post and at the very start of the journey! The folks on a FB group pointed me this way, so some may have seen this already! Anyway, always hankered after a soft top and loved the look of the Z4 for years, then, out of the blue, Mrs T says “Go on then, treat yourself!” Totally gobsmacked 🤩

So where do I start with a budget of around £10k? What should I be looking for? It won’t be our main car and I’m not looking for track day thrills or hoofing it around. I’ve watched a few YouTube vids, read a few articles, and there appears to be pros and cons for both the older soft top and newer convertible. However, I do like the idea of a hardtop for the winter, although the associated drop in boot space is a con! Engine wise, I’m not a speed freak and am not interested in tuning/modding etc, so feel the smaller engines may be ok for what I need.

Any thoughts?
Hi,
I found myself in a similar position to you a few months ago. Having had 60’s convertible classics for years I lost my garaging and so thought enough was enough - time to give up fun cars. My wife persuaded my otherwise and I started looking at the Z4 having always liked them.

I set out some criteria. I quickly ended up wanting an E89 as it can sit outside all year round without worrying about deteriorating a soft top. I’d not joined the forum at this point (doh!) so did all my research via google. Budget rules out a 4 pot E89, but everything I read about the six cylinder engines told me that’s what I wanted - having had six cylinder TR’s before helped me make that decision.

Then came spec. I must confess to being completely ignorant on what the options were, but concluded I wanted heated seats, iDrive, not white, a black leather seats and 50k to 75k miles. I also wanted a 23i as it seems to be the most reliable engine and I wanted standard suspension - again for cost and reliability reasons. I wasn’t fussed re manual or auto - although I’m pleased I bought a manual in the end. I’ve since learnt so much that could have added to or taken away from that spec. However, off i set on my search with a budget of £10k max in mind.

I searched the auto trader and eBay, dismissing cars without looking at them as they either didn’t meet spec or didn’t feel right. There were plenty of good ones, but always with red or cream interiors. It’s an entirely personal thing - but neither colour works for me but there’s a lot of them about!

Finally I found a car that ticked pretty much every box, went to look at it and bought it. The seller was extremely helpful and the whole thing ‘felt right’. Subsequently of course I found out he’s a forum member - so that’s why it felt right, because it was!

I can’t recommend the forum enough and the advice and knowledge the members bring. I wish I’d known about it when I started looking, I think I would have arrived at the same conclusions and outcome - but I would have felt a lot more confident and better informed about my choices.

So how am I enjoying my E89 23i? It’s bloody marvellous! It’s exceeded my expectations by some margin.

Cheers
John

So stick with it and ask all the questions you can
Attachments
5BAE4EC1-E937-48DE-A8BD-A2C023396A9F.jpeg
5BAE4EC1-E937-48DE-A8BD-A2C023396A9F.jpeg (346.94 KiB) Viewed 418 times
e89 23i Sapphire Black :driving:

gadgetJunky72

Starting the journey!

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi Tim. Pav here. I replied on your FB post.

This is actually one of the best forums I've been a (small) part of. I'm on my 6th Z4. There's a thread somewhere showing I'm not the only one. So whichever Z4 you choose I'm sure you will be smitten.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:56 pm

JHW666 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:02 pm
Timmy T wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 am First post and at the very start of the journey! The folks on a FB group pointed me this way, so some may have seen this already! Anyway, always hankered after a soft top and loved the look of the Z4 for years, then, out of the blue, Mrs T says “Go on then, treat yourself!” Totally gobsmacked 🤩

Any thoughts?
Hi,
I found myself in a similar position to you a few months ago. Having had 60’s convertible classics for years I lost my garaging and so thought enough was enough - time to give up fun cars. My wife persuaded my otherwise and I started looking at the Z4 having always liked them.

I set out some criteria. I quickly ended up wanting an E89 as it can sit outside all year round without worrying about deteriorating a soft top. I’d not joined the forum at this point (doh!) so did all my research via google. Budget rules out a 4 pot E89, but everything I read about the six cylinder engines told me that’s what I wanted - having had six cylinder TR’s before helped me make that decision.

Then came spec. I must confess to being completely ignorant on what the options were, but concluded I wanted heated seats, iDrive, not white, a black leather seats and 50k to 75k miles. I also wanted a 23i as it seems to be the most reliable engine and I wanted standard suspension - again for cost and reliability reasons. I wasn’t fussed re manual or auto - although I’m pleased I bought a manual in the end. I’ve since learnt so much that could have added to or taken away from that spec. However, off i set on my search with a budget of £10k max in mind.

I searched the auto trader and eBay, dismissing cars without looking at them as they either didn’t meet spec or didn’t feel right. There were plenty of good ones, but always with red or cream interiors. It’s an entirely personal thing - but neither colour works for me but there’s a lot of them about!

Finally I found a car that ticked pretty much every box, went to look at it and bought it. The seller was extremely helpful and the whole thing ‘felt right’. Subsequently of course I found out he’s a forum member - so that’s why it felt right, because it was!

I can’t recommend the forum enough and the advice and knowledge the members bring. I wish I’d known about it when I started looking, I think I would have arrived at the same conclusions and outcome - but I would have felt a lot more confident and better informed about my choices.

So how am I enjoying my E89 23i? It’s bloody marvellous! It’s exceeded my expectations by some margin.

Cheers
John

So stick with it and ask all the questions you can
Nice post and guests car was a cracker at the right price :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Couple of options just over budget but with a bit of haggling you could be there - not certain if any of them have heated seats though :|

I would look at the last one which is an SE Highline edition (has Msport seats plus a few other extras) or Tim's car which was linked earlier

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5xf&page=3

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... =on&page=3

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5xf&page=5

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... =on&page=1

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Starting the journey!

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Your first decision is whether you want an E85 Roadster, E86 Coupe or the E89 with the folding metal roof.

Like others I have become addicted to Z4s and am on my 3rd, but they have all been E86s so I can't compare E85 to E89, but from what I have read on here most people find the E85 more of a sports car and the E89 more of a GT.

Ideally you probably want to try both before you decide. If you say where you are someone on here may be able to help you out with that.

If you do go for an E85 a 6 cylinder engine is generally reckoned to be the way to go. They are a bit quicker and soound so much nicer. :)

Some people love the 4 cylinder turbo engines in the 18i, 20i and 28i E89s but I think you'd struggle to find one within your budget.

Anyway good luck finding the right one, and once you have remember we like to see photos!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black