Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starting the journey!

First port of call for new members
Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:11 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:31 pm Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Your first decision is whether you want an E85 Roadster, E86 Coupe or the E89 with the folding metal roof.

Like others I have become addicted to Z4s and am on my 3rd, but they have all been E86s so I can't compare E85 to E89, but from what I have read on here most people find the E85 more of a sports car and the E89 more of a GT.

Ideally you probably want to try both before you decide. If you say where you are someone on here may be able to help you out with that.

If you do go for an E85 a 6 cylinder engine is generally reckoned to be the way to go. They are a bit quicker and soound so much nicer. :)

Some people love the 4 cylinder turbo engines in the 18i, 20i and 28i E89s but I think you'd struggle to find one within your budget.

Anyway good luck finding the right one, and once you have remember we like to see photos!
If the OP wants to use this all year round then an e89 is a better bet IMHO - also the cabin is a far nice place to sit and as you say more of a GT car which is great, point and squirt then get the e85 for certain.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Coldwaterkid505

Starting the journey!

Post by Coldwaterkid505 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:31 pm

I’m also a complete newbie here and with the z4 platform in general. Hope my info helps. Recently Purchased a 2005 2.5i, it is a manual but at 81k miles, a clean title and owned by an old lady in chandler Arizona previous to my friend who had it garaged and maintained well, I couldn’t pass it up. I basically stole the vehicle for 4 grand cash. It drives very much like a sports car, it is faster than expected. I daily drive a VW GTI 2.0 turbo and the z4 feels much more responsive and quick. I actually love how analog and dated some of the features are on the car. Everywhere I go people stare at the vehicle. in my opinion it has better body lines than the the e89 and from everything I’ve seem and read the engine is one of the most reliable the brand has ever released. The mechanic that gave it some love when I purchased it. (New belts, brake fluid flush oil change) said it was all it needed and that he doesn’t see major issues with them if they are maintained properly. For me having a weekend cruiser or grocery getter that is as great looking as this is ok by me I don’t need anything M sport. My advice would be get something you want to look at and enjoy driving. I’m also not Richard Hamilton so I don’t think too highly of my driving skills as do most people on these threads. My car will be on public roads not the race track. Drive a few, even tho “slower” lower end ones like mine. I think you’ll see that a goat cart is just that fun to drive and cool to look at. Best of luck

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:43 pm

Coldwaterkid505 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:31 pm I’m also not Richard Hamilton so I don’t think too highly of my driving skills as do most people on these threads
And wallop! First post, straight in with the digs at 'most people'. :rofl:
Excuse me, I'm off to google Richard Hamilton. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Coldwaterkid505 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:31 pm I’m also a complete newbie here and with the z4 platform in general. Hope my info helps. Recently Purchased a 2005 2.5i, it is a manual but at 81k miles, a clean title and owned by an old lady in chandler Arizona previous to my friend who had it garaged and maintained well, I couldn’t pass it up. I basically stole the vehicle for 4 grand cash. It drives very much like a sports car, it is faster than expected. I daily drive a VW GTI 2.0 turbo and the z4 feels much more responsive and quick. I actually love how analog and dated some of the features are on the car. Everywhere I go people stare at the vehicle. in my opinion it has better body lines than the the e89 and from everything I’ve seem and read the engine is one of the most reliable the brand has ever released. The mechanic that gave it some love when I purchased it. (New belts, brake fluid flush oil change) said it was all it needed and that he doesn’t see major issues with them if they are maintained properly. For me having a weekend cruiser or grocery getter that is as great looking as this is ok by me I don’t need anything M sport. My advice would be get something you want to look at and enjoy driving. I’m also not Richard Hamilton so I don’t think too highly of my driving skills as do most people on these threads. My car will be on public roads not the race track. Drive a few, even tho “slower” lower end ones like mine. I think you’ll see that a goat cart is just that fun to drive and cool to look at. Best of luck
Glad you like it, I’ve never had the pleasure of driving a “goat cart” but they sound even faster than a go cart! :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Starting the journey!

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:57 pm
Coldwaterkid505 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:31 pm I’m also a complete newbie here and with the z4 platform in general. Hope my info helps. Recently Purchased a 2005 2.5i, it is a manual but at 81k miles, a clean title and owned by an old lady in chandler Arizona previous to my friend who had it garaged and maintained well, I couldn’t pass it up. I basically stole the vehicle for 4 grand cash. It drives very much like a sports car, it is faster than expected. I daily drive a VW GTI 2.0 turbo and the z4 feels much more responsive and quick. I actually love how analog and dated some of the features are on the car. Everywhere I go people stare at the vehicle. in my opinion it has better body lines than the the e89 and from everything I’ve seem and read the engine is one of the most reliable the brand has ever released. The mechanic that gave it some love when I purchased it. (New belts, brake fluid flush oil change) said it was all it needed and that he doesn’t see major issues with them if they are maintained properly. For me having a weekend cruiser or grocery getter that is as great looking as this is ok by me I don’t need anything M sport. My advice would be get something you want to look at and enjoy driving. I’m also not Richard Hamilton so I don’t think too highly of my driving skills as do most people on these threads. My car will be on public roads not the race track. Drive a few, even tho “slower” lower end ones like mine. I think you’ll see that a goat cart is just that fun to drive and cool to look at. Best of luck
Glad you like it, I’ve never had the pleasure of driving a “goat cart” but they sound even faster than a go cart! :P
Rob
so much fun :driving: :driving: :rofl:
Attachments
goatcart.jpg
goatcart.jpg (124.41 KiB) Viewed 190 times
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Coldwaterkid505

Starting the journey!

Post by Coldwaterkid505 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Talk to text guys! haha thats a great pic, though good find